Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Exclamation Kobe speaks on Shaq / Yao / NBA / Olympics

Quote:
Mamba speaks

Being one of the true sporting icons we have today, it is not surprising that when Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant speaks, everybody stops and listens.

Such was the case when the “Black Mamba,” who stopped here in Manila the other day for a one-day visit as part of his “Take Every Advantage Tour” organized by Nike, addressed members of the media at a packed The Conservatory at The Peninsula Hotel in Makati City.

Both witty and direct, the five-time National Basketball Association champion and 13-time All-Star shared his thoughts on a number of things. Below are some of them.

Most favorite of his Nike-designed shoes: [Laughs.] It’s tough. It’s hard to have a favorite because all of the products we’ve design, all the shoes we’ve come out with were representative of myself on that particular time. I love them all.

Keeping fit amid the NBA lockout: I just continue what I do. It doesn’t change for me. I get in shape. I train hard. I am ready to go whenever the lockout is lifted. It’s simple for me. Same old. Same old.

Mind-set for next season: Yeah, payback! [Laughs.] They made me suffer, so they’re (rest of the field) going to feel my pain. [Smiles.]

On Yao Ming’s reported retirement: I haven’t had the chance to reach out to him yet. But I will definitely do that. His contributions to the NBA cannot be overstated. What he did for the game. The influence he had was at a huge magnitude. He had a lot of injuries but when he was playing and healthy he was one of the dominant players in the NBA.

Foundation he created with his wife. It’s to fight homelessness. And homelessness is such a huge issue. It is one of the issues that usually swept under rug and ignored for so long. It becomes such a huge problem...But it’s a solvable issue and it’s part of our responsibility to try to eradicate homelessness... And we intend to grow it. It’s not just an L.A. issue. It’s a global issue...

Plans for playing in the 2012 Olympics: I’m definitely interested in playing. We haven’t had any conversations about it yet but I’m sure we will at some point. But I am more than happy to join.

Greatness. Greatness is so broad. I don’t even know how to define it. You know what I mean. There is no true way to define it. I think individually we all know what greatness is to ourselves because we have goals that we want to achieve and when we achieved those goals it’s great. So, I think it depends on the individual. But in terms of how to do that, it’s the same whether you are a journalist or a basketball player, or a doctor or lawyer, it’s your preparation. You study. It’s hard work. That’s how you get it.

From jersey #8 to #24: Well, you know, for me 24 has more symbolism. Eight was I kinda view as the first chapter of my career. Now it’s time to move to the next chapter and 24 really symbolizes that you only get 24 hours a day. It’s about taking each day as it comes and not taking any day for granted. So every morning I wake up I gonna go as hard as I possibly can and enjoy and play to the fullest...

On not tweeting. I just don’t feel like it: [Laughs.] You know, I have friends and when I want to talk to them I text them or I call them. If you’re a friend of mine, I don’t have to text you and let everyone know what I texted to you. [Laughs.]

On Pacquiao vs Mayweather: Manny is a good friend of mine. I love what he is about. I love his tenacity. I love his competitiveness. You know what I mean. So, Manny is my guy.

Lesson he learned from Phil Jackson: Patience. He was really great at being patient, allowing players to develop at their own pace. That is one thing I learned from him more than anything else.

On Shaq’s retirement: He had an incredible career. He was a fantastic, dominant player. He was a force when he was playing. But all things must come to an end eventually. His career is over now and he must start a new one. And I am interested in seeing him over at TNT [as one of the panelists for Inside the NBA] having fun with all those guys. So let’s see what happens. [Smiles.]

Memorable memories about the Philippines. Being around the kids. I love being around the kids. I enjoy it... Playing basketball with them.

http://www.bworldonline.com/content....peaks&id=34768

Last edited by AirTupac : 07-14-2011 at 04:39 PM.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Kobe speaks on Shaq / Yao / NBA / Olympics

You will have hard time trying to find a single post where I praise Kobe but here is one. I think it is sad how many fans hate on Kobe and do not appreciate what he is doing purely from a basketball perspective. As fans we dislike players who show no heart and desire for the game we love to watch. Here is a guy who gives it his all but haters ignore his contributions and fail to enjoy his greatness. This is a top ten player in the history of the game; all true basketball fans should feel inspired watching him play. Especially now as he starts to leave his prime and eventually we'll only be left with memories and youtube videos. But the game will continue as always, no one is bigger than the game itself.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
You will have hard time trying to find a single post where I praise Kobe but here is one. I think it is sad how many fans hate on Kobe and do not appreciate what he is doing purely from a basketball perspective. As fans we dislike players who show no heart and desire for the game we love to watch. Here is a guy who gives it his all but haters ignore his contributions and fail to enjoy his greatness. This is a top ten player in the history of the game; all true basketball fans should feel inspired watching him play. Especially now as he starts to leave his prime and eventually we'll only be left with memories and youtube videos. But the game will continue as always, no one is bigger than the game itself.
Exactly.

Sad, but true.

And that end is a lot closer I think then people are willing to realize.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
Exactly.

Sad, but true.

I was saying this in 09. Kobe's career is about to be over and I'll miss him.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

G-Funk has decent reputation

What Are Ppl On These Forums Gonna Talk About When He Retires??? Also I'm Curious To See How His Legacy Molds With Time!
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Bring-Your-Js has decent reputation

Quote:
Exactly.

Sad, but true.

There was a serious decline physically this last season. The drop off from 05-08 to 09-10 pales in comparison. He was still among the very elite during his last two title runs. Something changed, big time. It was the third time he got the same knee scoped since summer of '03.
Bring-Your-Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
What Are Ppl On These Forums Gonna Talk About When He Retires??? Also I'm Curious To See How His Legacy Molds With Time!

He'll be fine.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
purplch0de
Banned

purplch0de has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove
I was saying this in 09. Kobe's career is about to be over and I'll miss him.

in 09 you were rocking a celtics avy and hating on the lakers and kobe...
purplch0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

G-Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring-Your-Js
There was a serious decline physically this last season. The drop off from 05-08 to 09-10 pales in comparison. He was still among the very elite during his last two title runs. Something changed, big time. It was the third time he got the same knee scoped since summer of '03.

hopefully he's right about his conditioning. He says he will back to prove ppl wrong that say he's old. Hopefully is not just dust he's kicking up
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplch0de
in 09 you were rocking a celtics avy and hating on the lakers and kobe...
That was 2010 and it was because I lost a bet lol. I do admit to having a love/hate relationship with Kobe though. Yes homo.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring-Your-Js
Something changed, big time.
He got old and injured. He's had ankle and knee problems for the past two years. The knee will be better this year than it was last year IMO. I think it takes about a year for player to truly recover from even relatively minor surgeries like that.

I think the Lakers' lineup didn't allow him to adjust for his slowing down either. He's still hammering away on the perimeter because the Lakers have no playmakers besides him. He should be setting up closer to the basket and playing off the ball but he assisted on more shots as a % than he has since '04.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
hopefully he's right about his conditioning. He says he will back to prove ppl wrong that say he's old. Hopefully it's not just dust he's kicking up

Thankfully for him, his skillset is among the greatest the game's ever seen. He can be dominant without superstar athleticism, but not if he's still ailing physically. I cant imagine he has much cartilage left in his knees. Not my amateur opinion, but Vitti's. Some things can't be undone.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Exactly.

Sad, but true.

Yep
Post 21, that is pretty much what I said.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=228963&page=2

Look who I quoted, Kobe has officially been cursed.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
sagr32
Banned

sagr32 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell
He got old and injured. He's had ankle and knee problems for the past two years. The knee will be better this year than it was last year IMO. I think it takes about a year for player to truly recover from even relatively minor surgeries like that.

I think the Lakers' lineup didn't allow him to adjust for his slowing down either. He's still hammering away on the perimeter because the Lakers have no playmakers besides him. He should be setting up closer to the basket and playing off the ball but he assisted on more shots as a % than he has since '04.

Thats an understated issue imo. Before we really didn't need another playmaker/ driver because Kobe was so dominant. But now as he is getting older it is obvious he needs help on the perimeter. If the Lakers aren't scoring in the post then their only other option is to dump it to kobe and let him create a shot for himself or someone else. We don't have another playmaker minus Odom at times. At this point it would be best if we had another playmaker and allow Kobe to play off the ball and not have to create all the offense outside of the post.
sagr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr

well said. ^^

and great article OP..
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: