Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default 76ers deal at $280M, Forbes value them at $330M

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/...rs_321387.html
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7988
I'm just sayin... the INDEPENDENT Forbes certainly got their team's value wrong.

I wonder if they got something wrong too... hmmm
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/7/6...-profitability
I hope this closes the book on owners selling teams for a profit. They took a $50M hit according to the INDEPENDENT Forbes
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 76ers deal at $280M, Forbes value them at $330M

I thought the guy/group bought 90% of the team (and left the 10% to the old ownership). Which based on that value would $297 million, so I wouldn't be surprised if the lockout lowered the team's value and the economy made the owner lower his price.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
purplch0de
Banned

purplch0de has an OK reputation so far

Forbes continually gets numbers wrong... and that's really what the website is about. So i wouldn't trust a team's value assessed by forbes.
purplch0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It also says the deal doesn't include the Stadium ($73M), which Forbes included in their value estimate of the team. Had the Stadium been included, the price would probably have been right around $330M.

Also, it states the team was purchased for $125M in 1996, and valued at $330M in 2011. That's a $205M profit over 15 years, or ~13.5M a year. Obviously that number needs to be adjusted for inflation, but it shows that owning the 76ers over the past 15 years was a profitable investment.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
purplch0de
Banned

purplch0de has an OK reputation so far

The reason why the guy didn't purchase the stadium leaves a lot of dust unsettled. I mean he's going to have to pay to rent that place now... he might have intentions of moving, who knows at this point.
purplch0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplch0de
The reason why the guy didn't purchase the stadium leaves a lot of dust unsettled. I mean he's going to have to pay to rent that place now... he might have intentions of moving, who knows at this point.
I thought about that too, but I read as of right now there are zero plans to move the team. Moving a historic team like the 76ers could end up being worse than the whole Sonics thing.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So basically this new guy paid $20 million more than they were actually worth minus the stadium, and that was only for 90% of the team. Wow Forbes really undervalued them alot.

I wonder how many other teams are undervalued.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Theoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
I thought about that too, but I read as of right now there are zero plans to move the team. Moving a historic team like the 76ers could end up being worse than the whole Sonics thing.

philly fans would make a big deal out of it.. it can't happen.
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
TheFan
High School Varsity 6th Man

TheFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
philly fans would make a big deal out of it.. it can't happen.

Civil War? rest of the USA have Santa Claus on his side.
TheFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
33teeth
Good High School Starter

33teeth has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15

Worse for Sixers fans maybe. Sonics were only in seattle 4 years later than the sixers were in philly.

It's all a matter of perspective. East coast people don't care about Seattle. West coast people don't care about Philadelphia.

So it goes...
33teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
He didn't purchase it because the same guy that used to own the Sixers still owns the Flyers, who play in that building. Ed Snider wasn't going to sell the arena with the Sixers and then have to find a new home for his Flyers.

Part of the sale was that the Sixers have to stay in the same arena for the foreseeable future.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
It also says the deal doesn't include the Stadium ($73M), which Forbes included in their value estimate of the team. Had the Stadium been included, the price would probably have been right around $330M.

Also, it states the team was purchased for $125M in 1996, and valued at $330M in 2011. That's a $205M profit over 15 years, or ~13.5M a year. Obviously that number needs to be adjusted for inflation, but it shows that owning the 76ers over the past 15 years was a profitable investment.
The fact that the team was purchased for 125m and sold for almost double. I don't see the problem.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #13
Faberg
Local High School Star

Faberg has decent reputation

Quote:

The Sixers aren't going nowhere.
Faberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Yeah the Sixers shouldn't go anywhere. They're in a reasonably sized market and they've managed to stay off the red and actually made some money. It's just these past few years when the team lost its identity when they traded away AI and went with Brand.

What would have happened if they just blew up the team when AI left? Instead they tried to compete (which is the right thing IMO) and after a few years they still don't know where they are going.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/...rs_321387.html
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7988
I'm just sayin... the INDEPENDENT Forbes certainly got their team's value wrong.

I wonder if they got something wrong too... hmmm
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/7/6...-profitability
I hope this closes the book on owners selling teams for a profit. They took a $50M hit according to the INDEPENDENT Forbes

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: