Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Vertical-24
Hollywood

Vertical-24 has decent reputation
Default 1v1 - Kobe Bryant v. Larry Bird

I'm a guy that loves hypotheticals and basketball. This isn't a question of who is the better overall player or who ranks higher in the GOAT discussion. This is simply about who you would think would win in a 1v1 match-up, assuming both were in their respective primes. Both Kobe and Bird are greats who excelled at different parts of the game and who played nearly two different styles of basketball.

Rules
First to 21pts (with two's equaling 1pt, three's equaling 2pts) | NBA Rules (hand-checking allowed but no unneccesary contact) | Referees | Half-Court

Kobe Bryant
25.4ppg | 5.3rpg | 4.7apg

Larry Bird
24.3ppg | 10.0rpg | 6.3apg

I'm gonna go with Kobe, mostly due to the fact that he is more of a 1v1 player and in my opinion, the second best 1v1 player ever after MJ.

Kobe has one of the most extensive offensive skill-sets of all time. Can easily change the way he wants to score, has a killer arsenal of head-fakes and impeccable footwork, has great range and can get to the basket, and has one of the most competitive natures our league has ever seen. He is also a really talented perimeter defender, and given the chance to guard Bird...I don't think he would do his traditional "sag-off". Bird while being a good ball-crook, was never really a celebrated defender. Decent, yes.

Sorry if this is a cheesy thread but I literally had nothing to talk about and figure it could generate some kind of discussion.

Last edited by Vertical-24 : 10-07-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Vertical-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
MiamiThrice
Banned

MiamiThrice has decent reputationMiamiThrice has decent reputation
Default Re: 1v1 - Kobe Bryant v. Larry Bird

Kobe would clearly win 1v1. Bird wouldn't have the quickness to guard him on an island at the top of the key. Not to mention Bird wasn't a good off the dribble player and usually posted up to get himself in his spots and in 1v1 you have to entirely create for yourself from the top of the key.

Birds best traits: Shooting, Passing, and Posting up would be wasted in a game of 1v1. Give me Bird any day to build a team around though. Any day.
MiamiThrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Miller for 3
Local High School Star

Miller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Bird would just post him up all game. Kobe has a history of being schooled by tall slow white guys (Hedo, Peja, Dirk, Bargs, Gasol, etc) Bird is better than all of them, and more skilled than any player ever.
Miller for 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Bird because of the height mismatch. Bird has the slight edge.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is a pretty well-respected posterHeavincent is a pretty well-respected posterHeavincent is a pretty well-respected posterHeavincent is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller for 3
Bird would just post him up all game. Kobe has a history of being schooled by tall slow white guys (Hedo, Peja, Dirk, Bargs, Gasol, etc) Bird is better than all of them, and more skilled than any player ever.

Huh? Kobe doesn't even guard any of those guys. All of the guys you listed are front court players.
Heavincent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
Bird because of the height mismatch. Bird has the slight edge.
This is actually somewhat valid.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
nbaballllller
I hit open 5-footers

nbaballllller is considered somewhat coolnbaballllller is considered somewhat coolnbaballllller is considered somewhat cool

Are some of you guys joking or r u fken rtarded?

Kobe Bryant would kill Larry Bird lol

The game has evolved a whole lot since the 80's. And Kobe is a much better basketball player than Bird ever was.

If we were talking career and performance during their era then you could have a conversation...

But to think you could take Larry from his generation and compare him in 1v1 to Prime kobe of this generation you are out of your fken mind
nbaballllller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
KyrieTheFuture
College star

KyrieTheFuture is considered somewhat coolKyrieTheFuture is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaballllller

The game has evolved a whole lot since the 80's. And Kobe is a much better basketball player than Bird ever was.

If we were talking career and performance during their era then you could have a conversation...

But to think you could take Larry from his generation and compare him in 1v1 to Prime kobe of this generation you are out of your fken mind

That is 100% false. Even if you want to say Kobe is better (I wouldn't) to say that Kobe is much better is a gross overstatement. I believe they would cancel each other out. Whoever starts with the ball wins because they would just score every single time.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
nbaballllller
I hit open 5-footers

nbaballllller is considered somewhat coolnbaballllller is considered somewhat coolnbaballllller is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
That is 100% false. Even if you want to say Kobe is better (I wouldn't) to say that Kobe is much better is a gross overstatement. I believe they would cancel each other out. Whoever starts with the ball wins because they would just score every single time.

Not necessarily in terms of career or how they performed compared to their peers during their eras but certainly if you were to just compare basketball ability.

I like Bird as much as anyone else but put him in todays league and he is not as good a player as kobe bryant. Especially if were are considering a 1v1 game.

Thats not disrespecting Bird its just true.

And before you accuse me of being a 15 year old kid, I have actually seen him play live in person and I have also watched Kobe play in person
nbaballllller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
TaLvsCuaL
Bandwagoner 100%

TaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation here

I think both would not easily defend each other. Kobe probably has a slight advantage for its quickness, but Bird had a very quick hands and would get some steals and blocks.
TaLvsCuaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
SHAQisGOAT
National High School Star

SHAQisGOAT has decent reputationSHAQisGOAT has decent reputation

At both their primes, both wouldn't be able to guard the other.

When Jordan tried to guard Bird, Larry murdered him in the post, or just shot over him like it was nothing. Same would happen to Kobe.

Larry didn't have the lateral quickness to guard Kobe on the perimeter, he would just need to rely on sagging off and protecting the basket or do some ball stealing and blocking like he used to.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
KLovin
Banned

KLovin has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Lmao, so jokes.

Anyway, in all likelihood it'd probably whoever gets the ball first in this hypothetical game. Kobe could probably just blow by Bird all day, and Bird could probably just back down and shoot over Kobe all day. Would be a great offensive game.
KLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
SHAQisGOAT
National High School Star

SHAQisGOAT has decent reputationSHAQisGOAT has decent reputation

Quote:

lol

Evolved a lot in what aspects? Evolution doesn't always mean better.

Better basketball player? Doubt it, Larry's the better shooter, passer, rebounder, team and post defender, and had higher intangibles. Kobe's the better scorer, perimeter m2m defender, that's it. Plus Larry had a better prime/peak and more impact.

Please... Larry can kill these guys (even with a f**ked up back), with tougher rules and real big men on the paint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEmcemLR7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksp82...feature=relmfu

^^ Some of the greatest defensive players ever, some of the most athletical players ever, 7 footers,a dude that made all defensive team in the 00's, guys bigger than him, guys faster than him...
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
DatAsh
Local High School Star

DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Not necessarily in terms of career or how they performed compared to their peers during their eras but certainly if you were to just compare basketball ability.

I like Bird as much as anyone else but put him in todays league and he is not as good a player as kobe bryant. Especially if were are considering a 1v1 game.

Thats not disrespecting Bird its just true.

And before you accuse me of being a 15 year old kid, I have actually seen him play live in person and I have also watched Kobe play in person

Somehow I doubt that.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Micku
NBA lottery pick

Micku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
At both their primes, both wouldn't be able to guard the other.

When Jordan tried to guard Bird, Larry murdered him in the post, or just shot over him like it was nothing. Same would happen to Kobe.

Larry didn't have the lateral quickness to guard Kobe on the perimeter, he would just need to rely on sagging off and protecting the basket or do some ball stealing and blocking like he used to.

Pretty much. Bird is too tall for Kobe to guard efficiently. Bird would just post Kobe up. And it's difficult to check Bird's shot.

And Kobe is too quick for Bird to guard efficiently. Bird would either have to sag off or play him close. Either way, it's bad because Kobe is a good shooter and Kobe could take him to the basket.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: