Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board
Default New era coming for Charlotte Bobcats?

5-on-5 roundtable: After trading key players, are Bobcats, Jordan now on right track?
Quote:
1. Fact or Fiction: Walker will become the starting PG in his rookie year.

2. Fact or Fiction: Michael Jordan is the right owner for the Bobcats.

3. Fact or Fiction: Jordan could beat any Cats player in one-on-one.

4. Biyombo and Walker aside, does Charlotte have any keepers?

5. Fact or Fiction: The Bobcats are now on the right track.

The roundtable answered these 5 questions...one of which was from Queen City Hoops.

What would be your answers?
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: New era coming for Charlotte Bobcats?

1. Fact or Fiction: Walker will become the starting PG in his rookie year. Fact. It may not be right away, but he will be by the end of his rookie year.

2. Fact or Fiction: Michael Jordan is the right owner for the Bobcats. Fact. He's trying.

3. Fact or Fiction: Jordan could beat any Cats player in one-on-one. Fiction...let's be real here.

4. Biyombo and Walker aside, does Charlotte have any keepers? Nope.

5. Fact or Fiction: The Bobcats are now on the right track. Fiction. I think as soon as they start getting on the right track, they jump ship. They jumped ship last year. So now, its too early to tell.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Fact. DJ Augustin has proven in my eyes that he is not suited to run the team as a starting point guard. I have no idea if Walker can, but at least we don't know for sure that he can't and he's probably the Bobcats biggest prospect right now. So logically he should get his shot for a while.

Fiction. Jordan doesn't seem like the kind of owner who is committed to spend money on his team, even when it means losing money. He's not an owner like Mark Cuban. Jordan has stated that he "is willing to spend the money if the players warrant it", but the Bobcats would be better of with an owner who is willing to spend the money without seeing immediate returns. It's sort of what comes with a historyless team who has been lottery bound for every season in existence.

Fact. He could win against any player, I'm sure he'd play every player competitively, but the better players would still beat him more often than not. Because the man is almost 50 and not in professional shape.

Gerald Henderson for one. The value Henderson could represent for the Bobcats far outweighs his value on the market, so that makes him a keeper.

Fiction. Even if Walker and Biyombo both don't bust (unlikely imo), the Bobcats are still low on talent and low on assets. Bobcats are one of the 12 teams in league currently relying on mostly luck for their future.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Fiction. Jordan doesn't seem like the kind of owner who is committed to spend money on his team, even when it means losing money. He's not an owner like Mark Cuban. Jordan has stated that he "is willing to spend the money if the players warrant it", but the Bobcats would be better of with an owner who is willing to spend the money without seeing immediate returns. It's sort of what comes with a historyless team who has been lottery bound for every season in existence.
I kind of disagree with you on this one. Obviously, if you're going with the logic that he's no Mark Cuban, then basically 27 of the other 30 franchises don't have the right owners either because only a couple of owners spend money like Cuban does.

Jordan is actually being smart and realistic about his position. In an era where huge market teams (LA, Miami, Boston, NY) are going to attract the biggest talent, it would be stupid of him to throw a load of money to one guy only to see minimal gain, meaning, yes, we make the playoffs, but get swept in the first round every year by one of the big four. The only thing the Bobcats can do is go the route of OKC, which is kind of what we're doing. It's a piece by piece process. We're just going to have to build young talent that kicks ass and competes hard like OKC does in order to have success. Once that happens, MJ will spend more money to keep those players in Charlotte, and be a buyer at the trade deadline or in FA off season to add small pieces to improve the team.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I kind of disagree with you on this one. Obviously, if you're going with the logic that he's no Mark Cuban, then basically 27 of the other 30 franchises don't have the right owners either because only a couple of owners spend money like Cuban does.

Jordan is actually being smart and realistic about his position. In an era where huge market teams (LA, Miami, Boston, NY) are going to attract the biggest talent, it would be stupid of him to throw a load of money to one guy only to see minimal gain, meaning, yes, we make the playoffs, but get swept in the first round every year by one of the big four. The only thing the Bobcats can do is go the route of OKC, which is kind of what we're doing. It's a piece by piece process. We're just going to have to build young talent that kicks ass and competes hard like OKC does in order to have success. Once that happens, MJ will spend more money to keep those players in Charlotte, and be a buyer at the trade deadline or in FA off season to add small pieces to improve the team.

I don't see how that is comparable at all. The OKC Thunder started rebuilding around nr. 2 draft pick Kevin Durant. MVP caliber talent. They were extremely lucky to draft another franchise player in Westbrook the next season, in addition to a legitimate defensive post presence in Ibaka. Then they drafted a good third option with plenty of upside still in Harden the next season. They have made some good management decisions to put value around those guys, but they have also made a couple of pretty terrible decisions that people have forgotten. The core of OKC's success is pretty simply an extreme amount of luck.

A franchise point guard, an MVP caliber small forward, a very good starting defensive power forward with the 24th pick and one of the most talented young shooting guards currently in the league, all in 3 seasons of drafting.

The Bobcats are counting on that kind of blind, extreme luck to become decent? And they don't even have the same kind of assets that OKC started out with? That is not a good thing.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Obviously I'm not saying the pieces we have now are comparable to OKC, nor am I saying what OKC did was easy.

My point was that we build through the draft, get somewhat lucky, and build around that. I'm well aware what OKC did was luck...and if you're small market team, that's what its going to take to compete.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nice thread Spectre.

Fact. I see DJ starting at first with Walker coming up pretty quickly. I can see them playing at the same time too.

Fact. At this point he seems like the best fit. The Cats are doing a lot more in the community and trying to involve season ticket holders and sponsors. The hiring of Cho was a great coup imo. It remains to be seen but if Jordan uses his influence as well as wallet to attract some big time FAs next year then he most certainly is the right owner. Also his decision to fire Larry Brown took some major cajones and was ultimately the right move to make.

Maybe 10 years ago.

Henderson, Augustin and DJ White.

Fact. We can't sustain a team in Charlotte that's going to be at the cap but only a 1st round loser in the playoffs.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

My turn!

1. Fact or Fiction: Walker will become the starting PG in his rookie year. Fact. It doesn't matter who is better or who'll be better 2/3 til the end of the season between him and DJ. Kemba has "it", he has the attitude that goes with it and he brings "star" power...all of which this re-booted franchise desperately needs. No he's not LBJ or a Durant and in the end he might not even be a star...but for a 9th pick you're not likely to get that at any rate. For the 1st couple of years we can ride that persona and make him our "face".

2. Fact or Fiction: Michael Jordan is the right owner for the Bobcats. Fact. I've just recently come to this conclusion...mainly with the hiring of Rich Cho. Before the hire I don't know that I'd have voted this way.

3. Fact or Fiction: Jordan could beat any Cats player in one-on-one. ? I don't know that I'd bet either way. Jordan is one sly dude.

4. Biyombo and Walker aside, does Charlotte have any keepers? What's a "keeper"? Untouchable? LOL! Starter worthy on a contender? Maybe. Hendo shows some promise. Tyrus has always shown the promise but has never delivered. There's a chance these two could get there...but the rest IMO are all 6th men or worse.

5. Fact or Fiction: The Bobcats are now on the right track. Fact. Have I said how much I loved the Cho hire? He has the absolute perfect mentality that we've needed since our inception. The Milwaukee/Sacramento trade was an "out of the park" move. If Jordan keeps listening and allows for a mistake or two I like our chances of turning this franchise around 200% more than I'd have given it 6 months ago.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

In regards to OKC.

When Jordan first showed that he was blowing it up (letting Felton walk was the first indicator, the "dump" of TC and then the moving of Crash) I was incensed. We got a 19th pick, a future 20 something pick and Cunningham...and we were supposed to rebuild from THAT???

You don't rebuild with middling 1st rounders...you have to get some star potential in here. Like it was said above OKC did it with a 2nd (Durant), 4th (Westbrook) & a 3rd (Harden)...and every one of them seems to be a "hit". That don't normally happen. Too many teams have tried this route and have never gotten out of the basement.

I'm assuming that we're not going the full OKC route. My guess is we took the 2 high potential guys this year, tank like crazy for a top pick (hopefully) next year when multiple stars could be available and then use FA & trades to supplement/upgrade. This would be faster, and with a more cagey guy like Cho running the show always looking to add assets (vs giving them away) I think it'll be more of a sure thing...tho of course it's never a sure thing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: