Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The roster I would like to see All Star break

i can see how frustrated SVG and Dwight howard will be with the way bargnani plays defense. They will not be okay with his lazy ass standing around on defense. I can see SVG ripping into him on the bench.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

The off season is sooooooooooo boring. Especially now because there is no free agency. ****.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
15th pick in this draft is a lot different than 10th pick in next draft.

Its not like Bargs doesn't have value though. Hes not my favorite, but we can probably get a good return for him.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Its not like Bargs doesn't have value though. Hes not my favorite, but we can probably get a good return for him.

He's absolutely valuable to a lot of teams.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Off topic - < Bargnani>

Lots of value for lots of teams.

Orlando (cap space issue)
Atlanta (could make cap space?)
Portland (Aldridge as the go to big man in 5 - Oden dealt)
Clippers ( Dealing Kaman out - 2 years @ 12M+ for 4 years at $10M certainty)

Just off the top of my head. All teams with a 5 looking for another threat as a 4/5 with a scoring touch and stretch the d
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Jballer
Local High School Star

On Topic : < What line up would you like to see>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
I wouldn't want Kaman or Brooks since we're still rebuilding. Both would just ruin our chances at a high first rounder and potentially take us out of the lottery.

I understand what you (and others) are saying.

I question how realistic it is.

I cant see any management in the NBA looking to tank for persistent seasons (like 2 -4) in the hopes of hitting the lotto jack pot with the "next Kobe".

The danger of such a move must be looked at in building a loosing culture in the team and being unable to retain good young talent you have already drafted (Derozan/Davis et al) and attracting the right type of vetern free agent to help you get over the persistent 1st rounder failure or persistent "just miss the playoffs".

Its taken years for the Clippers and Warriors to overcome that rep and frankly they are not home yet. The Thunder did hit the jack pot and immediately went out and signed the "right vetern FAs" to compliment the nucleus.

But too few teams hit the jack pot; and if you persistently wait to do so you end up loosing all the core talent you develop to other teams.

Not withstanding the Rapotrs are rebuilding - I dont want them to be the next Clippers or Warriors franchise. Rather Atlanta / Utah/ Pheonix who did sign the right FAs after building through the draft.

I think my prefered line up gives us a bit of both - especially with cap space in 2 years.

Anyway I think we agree on direction - disagree on method.

----

Either arguement - the thread is about "post your roster March All Star break". That will tell us all we need to know about your philosophy
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I cant see any management in the NBA looking to tank for persistent seasons (like 2 -4) in the hopes of hitting the lotto jack pot with the "next Kobe".

Just one more season of tanking will do.
This is a draft where you don't have to win the lottery in order to get an all-star.

There are as many as 10 future all-stars in this draft. A top 5 pick will do very nicely.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster
Angry Re: The roster I would like to see All Star break

Quote:
This is a draft where you don't have to win the lottery in order to get an all-star.

There are as many as 10 future all-stars in this draft. A top 5 pick will do very nicely.

the raps will overachieve with a new hardline coach and we end up with a 7-10 pick.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #24
Jballer
Local High School Star

<Off topic>

Quote:

My response : The Danger in this is...

[President of basketball operations Lon] Babby and other team officials have examined the history of teams that, like the Suns, stalled at the conference-finals level and then had to decide whether to keep their core players together or tear up the roster. What they discovered: Teams that embarked on a massive rebuilding project took an average of 10 years to get back to the conference finals.

“And there’s a lot of pain that goes into it,” Babby said. “You’re putting yourself in the hands of ping-pong balls.”

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...sct=nba_t12_a1
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
Jballer
Local High School Star

<On Topic>

Seriously people - I am asking you to "project the roster" you wouldnt mind seeing at the all star break. 12 - 15 guys with names and postions.

I get there are different opinions on how to build but throw Aaron Grey in there if you want to tank - whatever.

Just project out what you think it might look at - even a no change is fine

My start :

Chris Kaman (via Clippers for Bargnani) C
Jonas Valanciunas - C
Solomon Alabi - C
Ed Davis – PF
Amir Johnson - PF
Linas Kliza - SF
James Johnson - SF
Demar Derozan – SF SG
Jerryd Bayliss – SG - PG
Anthony Parker - SG
Leandro Barbossa - SG
Aaron Brooks (via Lakers via Suns for Jose/cash/draft picks) PG

Sonny Weems based on Price/Length of deal - SF
Reggie Evans based on Price/Length of deal – C/PF

Last edited by Jballer : 07-26-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #26
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Quote:

When your roster is as awful as the Raps' was as soon as Bosh left, tanking/rebuilding for one season only makes no sense. There is next to no chance that the problems can be fixed in one year. Even the Cavs have next to no chance of being a playoff team next year, and they had picks 1 and 4 in the draft, which is hitting the jackpot as hard as possible in this year's draft.

Unless Colangelo is an even bigger idiot than some of us fear, he will realise that at the very least two years of sucking/tanking/blowing it up/rebuilding were necessary before this team could start tweaking like a playoff challenger.

Of course there are risks associated with this. By following this strategy, the Raptors could be a terrible team with a losing culture in 5 years- or they could be a great one build around one or more stars from the very top of the draft. If the Raptors don't follow this strategy, and they start trying to finetune already, despite not having the superstar virtually every successful NBA team needs, in 5 years they will at worst be a terrible team with a losing culture- and at best be a mediocre borderline playoff team.

In fact, a sensible NBA GM knows that there are indeed times that teams have to be in full-on rebuilding mode for 2-4 years (and that are rarely times that a successful full-on rebuild can be done in less time than that). And the Raptors have to know that this is a risk they must take.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Anything excluding Calderon and Bargnani.

/thread
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Anything excluding Calderon and Bargnani.

/thread

Oh, no! You ended the only active thread in this forum
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #29
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
<Off topic>

My response : The Danger in this is...

[President of basketball operations Lon] Babby and other team officials have examined the history of teams that, like the Suns, stalled at the conference-finals level and then had to decide whether to keep their core players together or tear up the roster. What they discovered: Teams that embarked on a massive rebuilding project took an average of 10 years to get back to the conference finals.

“And there’s a lot of pain that goes into it,” Babby said. “You’re putting yourself in the hands of ping-pong balls.”

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...sct=nba_t12_a1

this is interesting but haven't the raps been rebuilding since vince left?
that was the last time they were good.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
<On Topic>

Seriously people - I am asking you to "project the roster" you wouldnt mind seeing at the all star break. 12 - 15 guys with names and postions.

I get there are different opinions on how to build but throw Aaron Grey in there if you want to tank - whatever.

Just project out what you think it might look at - even a no change is fine

My start :

Chris Kaman (via Clippers for Bargnani) C
Jonas Valanciunas - C
Solomon Alabi - C
Ed Davis – PF
Amir Johnson - PF
Linas Kliza - SF
James Johnson - SF
Demar Derozan – SF SG
Jerryd Bayliss – SG - PG
Anthony Parker - SG
Leandro Barbossa - SG
Aaron Brooks (via Lakers via Suns for Jose/cash/draft picks) PG

Sonny Weems based on Price/Length of deal - SF
Reggie Evans based on Price/Length of deal – C/PF

First problem with your roster is that val is on it.
he is playing in europe this year so that isn't possible.

My team for next year

PG Bayless
SG Derozan
SF Johnson
PF Davis
C Bargs

Bench
Jose
Kleiza
Amir
Alibi
Scrub
Scrub
Scrub

Oh - but you will say, this is the same god awful team from last year.
And I will say yes, the same team as last year. Let's see how these players can develop. Bayless, Derozan, Johnson and Davis. I want to see what they can do. At the same time we will be at the top of the draft lottery in one of the deepest drafts of all time.
You will notice that Barbosa is not on the team because he hurts the tank and, frankly, he deserves to play on a winner.
You will notice that bargs and jose are on the team because they help the tank. If we were offered a 1st round draft pick for either (lottery for bargs) i would accept.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: