Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Default Could Kobe ever play the PG position?

Aside from the argument going on about Kobe's peak vs Magic's peak.

I've always thought Kobe had very good court vision which is why he's been successful as an all around offensive threat instead of being typecast as a scorer.

From the SG position hes still capable of giving you 8 assist or even 10+ assist games occasionally when hes forced into being the distributor for his teammates. The Triangle Offense really needed him to be a good distributor when needed, but now that Phil has retired and the Lakers are going towards a new system could Kobe eventually play the PG position?

IMO, Kobe right now is the best passer on their team. Hes always going to be able to score in a variety of ways but I think he could be effective in a PG role. Each time he gets the ball he still has to draw the primary attention of a defense if not draw a double team, which could create a lot more open shots for his teammates espescially if the Lakers finally get some consistent 3PT shooting.

Do you think Kobe could pull it off now or even in his prime?
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

Default Re: Could Kobe ever play the PG position?

In his prime he could play PG with the tools he has but he still has a scorer's mentality. He's going to shoot the ball so we won't see him with regular 9+ assist games. Kobe's big assist games come in bunches. Like in the Phoenix series in 2010 he averaged 7 APG I think and had a playoff career high 13 assists in Game 2. In the finals in 09 he averaged 8 APG.

If he had to freelance the offense like in 05, he could easily average 6+ APG. He has always been the Lakers primary ball handler and distributor anyway, which is why he's always led the team in assists for the majority of his time as a starter.

So, I think he could, but he would peak at about 7-8 APG if he had to play PG
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Batz
Shit just got serious

He basically does.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Aside from the argument going on about Kobe's peak vs Magic's peak.

I've always thought Kobe had very good court vision which is why he's been successful as an all around offensive threat instead of being typecast as a scorer.

From the SG position hes still capable of giving you 8 assist or even 10+ assist games occasionally when hes forced into being the distributor for his teammates. The Triangle Offense really needed him to be a good distributor when needed, but now that Phil has retired and the Lakers are going towards a new system could Kobe eventually play the PG position?

IMO, Kobe right now is the best passer on their team. Hes always going to be able to score in a variety of ways but I think he could be effective in a PG role. Each time he gets the ball he still has to draw the primary attention of a defense if not draw a double team, which could create a lot more open shots for his teammates espescially if the Lakers finally get some consistent 3PT shooting.

Do you think Kobe could pull it off now or even in his prime?
Who the **** would want a point guard that has to be forced to pass the ball? No. Lamar Odom, however, could definitely do it. Pau Gasol is also a better passer than Kobe.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
catch24
phal5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Who the **** would want a point guard that has to be forced to pass the ball? No. Lamar Odom, however, could definitely do it. Pau Gasol is also a better passer than Kobe.

catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

Quote:

He's saying that Kobe has had games where he's dropped a lot of dimes when teams start doubling him and trying to force him to distribute. (Look at the Phoenix series in 2010). That's what teams do to the other team's best player. You try to force the ball out of his hands so his teammates have to step up.

But Lamar and Gasol are not better passers than Kobe. More willing? Maybe so yeah. But they aren't better passers.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

He'd be poor man's Allen Iverson.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
LA_Showtime
Magic Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch24

He is definitely a more willing passer. I seem to remember Pau passing the ball like it was a bomb during the playoffs.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Scoooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
He's saying that Kobe has had games where he's dropped a lot of dimes when teams start doubling him and trying to force him to distribute. (Look at the Phoenix series in 2010). That's what teams do to the other team's best player. You try to force the ball out of his hands so his teammates have to step up.

But Lamar and Gasol are not better passers than Kobe. More willing? Maybe so yeah. But they aren't better passers.
I disagree. Pau's definitely a better passer. Pau's one of the better passing bigs in the league.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
catch24
phal5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
He is definitely a more willing passer. I seem to remember Pau passing the ball like it was a bomb during the playoffs.

So was Kwame Brown. Saying Pau Gasol is a better passer though? C'mon, that's hilarity.
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Ikill
i be killah swag

I could see it he's a very good passer and ball handler actually pretty much most star sg/sf do play pg for their team. Positions are only for defence Kobe defends sgs better so he is a sg.
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

Quote:
I disagree. Pau's definitely a better passer. Pau's one of the better passing bigs in the league.

Yes he's a good passer for a big, but that doesn't make him a better passer than Kobe. He's not a better passer than Kobe.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

With no other decent point guard on the team, sure why not?
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
jrong
The Holy Trinity

Not effectively. Kobe can get to the hoop, but he's never been a pure-penetrator. Since he was 18 years old, he's patterned his game after a 33 year old Jordan. I vividly recall rookie Kobe asking MJ for tips on the post-up turnaround (from Jordan's presser after the game, when asked what he and Kobe discussed at one point during the game). Mike wasn't thinking even about post-up turn-arounds until he was a veteran.

Like I said, Kobe, especially in his prime, had his share of spectacular at-the-rim finishes, but that was still only his keep-the-defense-honest move. His offensive game has always been more predicated on using footwork to create space for his shot, whether in the lane or outside.

Also, Kobe has very good court vision, but he's not a great passer-- there is a difference. And more than that, Kobe at PG would make Derrick Rose look like Chris Paul. It's not in his DNA to be a regular passer/playmaker. I'm not passing a judgment on that fact, just stating it. Kobe is who he is. And he's not a point.
jrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Scoooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Yes he's a good passer for a big, but that doesn't make him a better passer than Kobe. He's not a better passer than Kobe.
I disagree.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: