Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
15yearmagicfan
I hit open 5-footers

Default Yao Ming legacy

Nation To Always Remember Yao Ming’s 22-Point, 8-Rebound Game Against Milwaukee

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...-8rebou,20934/

Quote:
HOUSTON—Since Yao Ming’s intention to retire from the NBA was first reported last Friday, basketball fans across the country have been reflecting on the player’s nine-year career, with nearly all of them agreeing the Rockets center will forever be remembered for his 22-point, 8-rebound performance against the Milwaukee Bucks during a regular season game in 2007.

“It was just classic Yao,” said Rockets fan Nate Dula, adding that everything about the contest, from Yao’s softness on defense to his early foul trouble, would forever be part of NBA lore. “The 4-foot turnaround jump shots where his feet barely left the ground, the 9-for-22 shooting performance, the single offensive rebound. We were watching a legend in the making before our very eyes.”

“Everyone knew it was a special night when he got dunked on by [6-foot-3 guard] Charlie Bell,” Dula added. “But when Bell did it again in the fourth quarter, that brought the night from great to unforgettable.”

According to fans, Yao’s vintage performance ranks with some of the all-time greatest individual achievements in basketball, including Michael Jordan’s 63-point playoff game against the Celtics, Wilt Chamberlain’s 100-point night, and Magic Johnson’s baby sky hook to win Game 4 of the NBA Finals. Had Yao tallied more than one offensive rebound, fans said, it would have easily been the greatest performance in the history of the sport. [MORE ]

Sorry if this has been posted already,
15yearmagicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
disel
High School JV MVP

Default Re: Yao Ming legacy

O-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d
disel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

I guess Onion thinks a 7'6" center should have 40 inch vertical, shoot from 20 feet out, and use Rodman-style quickness/agility to worm in for offensive boards.
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
I guess Onion thinks a 7'6" center should have 40 inch vertical, shoot from 20 feet out, and use Rodman-style quickness/agility to worm in for offensive boards.
Well he's 7'6. I expect more than 1 offensive rebound.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

The onion...
They're hilarious!
When I first saw one of their videos(not sports related), I almost thought it was real! But then realized it's too good to be true.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
MastahX
I eat dead people

Yao and Legacy don't belong on the same paragraph. The dude was an average NBA player. He could have been better, but his injuries/accomplishments will never put him as a legacy.
MastahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastahX
Yao and Legacy don't belong on the same paragraph. The dude was an average NBA player. He could have been better, but his injuries/accomplishments will never put him as a legacy.
This. Some people think he should go to the HOF
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Da Heroic One
Banned

Quote:
This guy is an idiot.
Da Heroic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

Yao hasn't been retired for over a month, and already he's both an HOF player and an average NBA player.

Although I don't think anyone ever said he gets in the HOF except as a pioneer for basketball in China.
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

When your mouth opens, it has to smell like a fart because you're talking out of your ass.

Average NBA player?

Son, Jud Buechler was an average NBA player. Yao Ming averaged 19 PPG, 9 RPG, 2 BPG for his career. Career 52.4% from the field and 83% from the free throw line. He was a WELL above average NBA player. 85% of the people who've played in the NBA would kill to have had the career he had.

To the point about being a Hall of Famer, he's definitely one. They put in people in the HOF for contributions to the game and there are internationals in the HOF who have done FAR LESS for the game of basketball than Yao Ming. Media keeps talking about players going to China if the lockout lingers. That wouldn't be the case if Yao Ming hadn't of happened. He was a HUGE part of the game going global.

Bunch of fucking haters in here.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
Well he's 7'6. I expect more than 1 offensive rebound.

Averaged 2.5 per game on his career. Lot of people like to live in his ignorant shell where height = dominating basketball. History has actually shown us the opposite. Players Yao's size struggle to keep up with the pace of the game and the quickness and athleticism of smaller players. Yao's actually at a disadvantage rebounding against a 6'9 or 6'10 big man because that guy is almost always likely to be more mobile, faster, quicker, and have much greater leaping ability.

Yes, Yao got dunked A LOT. That happens to guys who contest shots. He's not want of these guys that gets out of the way before they get dunked on. Mutombo and Mourning got dunked on a lot, too. It happens when you don't duck your opponent.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
When your mouth opens, it has to smell like a fart because you're talking out of your ass.

Average NBA player?

Son, Jud Buechler was an average NBA player. Yao Ming averaged 19 PPG, 9 RPG, 2 BPG for his career. Career 52.4% from the field and 83% from the free throw line. He was a WELL above average NBA player. 85% of the people who've played in the NBA would kill to have had the career he had.

To the point about being a Hall of Famer, he's definitely one. They put in people in the HOF for contributions to the game and there are internationals in the HOF who have done FAR LESS for the game of basketball than Yao Ming. Media keeps talking about players going to China if the lockout lingers. That wouldn't be the case if Yao Ming hadn't of happened. He was a HUGE part of the game going global.

Bunch of fucking haters in here.
I'm more of a if you play well you get in type guy
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

he brought more fans to the nba than any other current player and he wasn't a scrub either.
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
I'm more of a if you play well you get in type guy

19/9/2 on 52% and 83% plus a massive contributions to globalizing the game is more than enough in my book.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
19/9/2 on 52% and 83% plus a massive contributions to globalizing the game is more than enough in my book.
Eh, true I guess
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: