Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Default Red Faction Armageddon, Yakuza 4, Shadows of the Damned

It's time for my fall game haul and I was hoping on getting some insight in the games I've listed. I'm going to get Infamous 2 and L.A. Noire and was thinking of maybe getting one of the three. With the lockout, there's not much interest in 2K11 now.

I've seen GS and IGN's reviews, but I always found the comments here to be more informative.

A little about me, I like RPGs, and third person games. Good story is a must for me. I don't really have that much time to play nowadays, only on odd weekends now. Don't really like shooters. Third person shooters are a toss up, I really liked Mass Effect, but hated Vanquish, but liked Ratchet and Clank.

Also, how would the three rank against some of the games I've passed on recently, i.e. Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Fallout New Vegas.

Red Faction - third person shooter look interesting, but I get the feeling this game just gets high marks because you can blow up everything. Also do you NPC allies in this game like Mass Effect?

Yakuza 4 - I think the storyline will keep me interested, though I doubt about the game mechanics. Looking at reviews it looks much like Dynasty Warriors with over the top moves with little strategy involved beatign up generic looking dudes. Even though it looks like there's a lot to do, it might not be something related to the game at all (playing those mini-games)

Shadows of the Damned - reminds me of a third person shooter God Hand. Maybe because it looks over the top silly. From the reviews it looks as sluggish as Resident Evil but hope they don't share the same twisted control scheme.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: Red Faction Armageddon, Yakuza 4, Shadows of the Damned

i don't think you need to get Yakuza 4. 3 is just as good and 3 offers more freedom, 4 is more linear. The whole point of those games is the 3 bazillion little things you can do as side quests and 4 makes that less fun by making you follow a much more linear story.

Shadows of the damned i really did not like.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
i don't think you need to get Yakuza 4. 3 is just as good and 3 offers more freedom, 4 is more linear. The whole point of those games is the 3 bazillion little things you can do as side quests and 4 makes that less fun by making you follow a much more linear story.

Shadows of the damned i really did not like.
Can you elaborate about Shadows of the Damned?

Do I need to play Yakuza 3 to apprieciate Yakuza 4?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

You do not need to play one Yakuza game to appreciate the others.

Shadows of the Damned is a lot of style, less substance. It has strange mini games here and there, the humor is retarded (lots of dick jokes, etc.) and it controls worse than a lot of games in the same genre. It just was not for me.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
You do not need to play one Yakuza game to appreciate the others.
Any more comments on this? By the look of things, Yakuza 3 reminds me a lot of River City Ransom
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: