Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
xcesswee
Great young streetballer

xcesswee has an OK reputation so far
Default Video of CP3 30/19/9 against Nuggets

I forgot how explosive CP3 use to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6pFK...el_video_title
xcesswee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Cone
thunder upton

Cone is considered somewhat coolCone is considered somewhat coolCone is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Video of CP3 30/19/9 against Nuggets

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

NewYorkNoPicks has decent reputationNewYorkNoPicks has decent reputation

here is your starting lineup for your new...york...knicks

at guardddddd number 1... Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssss Paullllllllllllll
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Amazing player... but the very first two plays they gave him assists on were bogus. I counted 4 or 5 plays that were definitely not assists, and a couple that were questionable.

Not trying to discredit CP3, that was an amazing performance. It's just something I noticed in the video and I think the NBA needs to regulate that shit.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Jon_Koncak
Great young streetballer

Jon_Koncak is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I counted 14 assists.Yeah superstars get awarded quite a few bogus assists especially when playing on their home.Noone would credit Marcus Banks with an assist for that first play of the video,(unless some Marcus Banks' cousin works as a scorekeeper for the Nba).
Jon_Koncak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
necya
Local High School Star

necya has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Amazing player... but the very first two plays they gave him assists on were bogus. I counted 4 or 5 plays that were definitely not assists, and a couple that were questionable.

Not trying to discredit CP3, that was an amazing performance. It's just something I noticed in the video and I think the NBA needs to regulate that shit.

you are right, but it's the nba...

"Lakers' Nick Van Exel handed out 23 assists in a 95-82 victory over Vancouver, a feat less attributable to his sharpshooting teammates than to the numbers-fudging Lakers fan working the Grizzlies' scorer's table.

Last month, someone on the APBRmetrics forum an APBRmetrician, for the uninitiated, is a sabermetrician in a Wes Unseld throwback jersey posted a friend's account of life as an NBA scorekeeper, mostly as an illustration of all the bias and sanctioned bullshit afflicting even the most straightforward basketball statistics. It's fascinating. This fellow says he was formerly the Grizzlies' head "stats accumulation guy," and, to hear him tell it, the teams and the league see their official statisticians almost as an arm of their marketing departments. Plump up some numbers, and SportsCenter might just bring itself to show a Grizzlies highlight.

At one point, the guy reviewed his colleagues around the league. He found that the typical NBA stat crew averaged about 20 unintentional errors per game "missing events, wrong players getting credit unintentionally."

Anyway...on top of that ~20 errors per game, you have over double that in intentional errors. By intentional errors, I mean events that never happened (eg. loose ball rebound is deflected out of bounds by visiting team, instead of correct call - team rebound home team - you award the rebound to a home player in the viscinity...or fake blocks - among the easiest things to make up, next to steals and assists)...or events that are awarded to the wrong player (rebounds, steals, turnovers are the most common). The intentional errors are organizationally sanctioned/encouraged - they increase national media coverage/interest and increase your franchise's and player's visibility. There is also league pressure to protect/enhance the stats of the elite players. For example, I would guess that Stockton got between 1 and 2 assists per game for free.

Which is how, one night in Vancouver, Nick Van Exel nearly tied Magic Johnson's team record for assists in a game.

Partly because I disagreed with the blatant stat manipulation (that I did) and partly because I'm a Laker fan, I gave Nick Van Exel like 23 assists one game. If he was vaguely close to a guy making a shot, I found a way to give him an assist. Afterwards, I fully expected someone to talk to me about it. Indeed they did. A senior management guy - "great job Alex, that'll get this game on Sportscenter tomorrow morning!" We (VAN) lost badly, of course.

This went both ways. The anonymous scorekeeper reports that he once penalized Dikembe Mutombo simply because he didn't like him. Man does not block in the house of the vindictive scorekeeper.

I also got bitched out by an Atlanta management guy because he felt I hadn't hooked Mutombo up enough w/ blocks in a particular first half. (I hadn't - I didn't like him because he was partly responsible for beating the Sonics and because I thought he was a bit of a punk so I made sure he didn't get a singly block that I wasn't sure he'd gotten - which was one in that half.) I told the management guy that the box score reflected the game and if Mutombo wanted more blocks, he needed to earn them. About 5 minutes later, Deke walked out for pregame warmups, asked the official scorer (the person who enters fouls and points in the archaic official scorebook) who does stats, she kindly pointed him to me, and he proceeded to glare at me for about a minute (which is, imo, a really long time for a gigantic man to glare at you). I want to say he blocked three 2nd-half shots and after each one, he made a point of, um, ensuring that I'd gotten them.

Now, if any of this is true and as widespread as the guy suggests, it's obviously a problem for a league working assiduously to convince fans it's not some rigged carny game. Otherwise, everything gets called into question. Did Scott Skiles really hand out 30 assists? Did Elmore Smith really block 17 shots in a game? Did Don MacLean really have an NBA career, or was he just some scorekeeper's generous fudge? "
necya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

love CP3

the best pointguard in the NBA....... especially when healthy... then he is even top 2-3 player in the NBA....
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Alan
Good High School Starter

Alan is considered somewhat coolAlan is considered somewhat coolAlan is considered somewhat cool

Those two assists reminded me about the one Stocton got when he became the all time leader in assists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c34Fu...eature=related
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
necya
Local High School Star

necya has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak
I counted 14 assists.Yeah superstars get awarded quite a few bogus assists especially when playing on their home.Noone would credit Marcus Banks with an assist for that first play of the video,(unless some Marcus Banks' cousin works as a scorekeeper for the Nba).

you are right, scorekeepers just abuse.
stats are useless, here is another reason. at the end, we don't care if he got 12 or 15 of 21 assists, the most important is how he played on the court.
necya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Copperhead has decent reputationCopperhead has decent reputation

Handles on display in China today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NVJ6...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Copperhead : 07-27-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

He can still get to the basket due to his handle and deceptive moves with the ball, but he was absolutely a lot faster before the major knee injury.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #12
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Copperhead has decent reputationCopperhead has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason

The very first two plays they gave him were indeed assists according to the Director of Game Administration.

Quote:
According to Bernie, who is the Vice President of Referee Operations and Director of Officials.

'What constitutes an assist? Does a player have to score directly after he receives the ball from a teammate? Or can he dribble the score? What if a player takes an inbounds past at his baseline, dribbles the whole length of the court, then scores. Is there an assist on that play?
-- Shawn

Bernie's Answer: I've received a number of questions related to game statistics (assists, blocks, turnovers, etc.). Referees are not responsible for determining these stats. There are courtside statisticians who enter game events in real-time (check nba.com while you're watching a game to see live play-by-play stats). The statisticians use guidelines for what counts in different categories. I asked our Director of Game Administration to help clarify this for us. Here is what he said:

An assist is credited to the player tossing the last pass leading directly to a field goal, only if the player scoring the goal responds by demonstrating immediate reaction toward the basket. This can include dribbling, as well as receiving a pass from out of bounds. In your example where the player dribbles the entire length of the court, the inbounder would not be credited with an assist due to the fact that the pass did not lead directly to a field goal.'
Source(s):
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/01…

An assist isn't just a catch and shoot or an alley oop lob. On the first 2 assists, West made immediate reaction toward the basket off the catch and Peja put the ball on the floor once so as not to travel. I don't think it's clear to most people what an assist is anymore.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: