Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
D.J.
NBA lottery pick

Default Where did Paul Pierce rank in the league at his best?

2000-01: 25.3 PPG/6.4 RPG/3.1 APG/1.7 SPG/0.8 BPG on 45.4% from the field and 38.3% from downtown

2001-02: 26.1 PPG/6.9 RPG/3.2 APG/1.9 SPG/1.0 BPG on 44.2% from the field and 40.4% from downtown

2002-03: 25.9 PPG/7.3 RPG/4.4 APG/1.8 SPG/0.8 BPG on 41.6% from the field and 30.2% from downtown

2003-04: 23.0 PPG/6.5 RPG/5.1 APG/1.6 SPG/0.7 BPG on 40.2% from the field and 29.9% from the field

2004-05: 21.6 PPG/6.6 RPG/4.2 APG/1.6 SPG/0.5 BPG on 45.5% from the field and 37% from downtown

2005-06: 26.8 PPG/6.7 RPG/4.7 APG/1.4 APG/0.4 BPG on 47.1% from the field and 35.4% from downtown

2006-07: 25.0 PPG/5.9 RPG/4.1 APG/1.0 SPG/0.3 BPG on 43.9% from the field and 38.9% from downtown (47 games)

What you consider his best years is up for debate.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
All Net

Default Re: Where did Paul Pierce rank in the league at his best?

12-15?
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
JohnnySic
green is good

He was top-10, just never got his due. They gave top-10 to guys like Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter who are, incidentally, dead, while PP is still going strong.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

I'm not sure it was his best year, but his highest ranking was probably the season he led the Pierce/Walker Cs to the ECF. He was somewhere in the top 10 that year.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Top 10 player. I don't think he was ever top 5. I'd have to go back and look though to be sure.

Pretty under-rated in my opinion.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I can think of 7 easily better and 8 or 9 arguably better. So he was top 10 in 02.

But really...what did Pierce really do? They won 19(full season equal of 31), 35, 36, 49, 44, 36, 45, 33, and 24 games. To make the ECf they beat what was probably a 44 or 45 win Philly team and then the Stackhouse Pistons who had nobody shook. They beat the Pacers once I think. Not a very good Pacer team though. And they lost to the Pacers with no Artest, JO injured, and tinsley barely back.

They peaked at a season like the Jazz had when they made the WCF by beating the Warriors and Rockets. Except im betting the Jazz won mroe than 49 games.

Carlos Boozer led his team to as much success as Pierce did and nobody even cares about him(anyone question who led the 07 team to the WCF...look into how he served up the Warriors and what Deron was doing).

Pierce and Ray led conference finals teams but were not generally ranked over Tmac. And they shouldnt have been. Tmac was for a while there just flat out better than they had the potential to be. He fell off. But that has nothing to do with his ability before he did.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
He was top-10, just never got his due. They gave top-10 to guys like Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter who are, incidentally, dead, while PP is still going strong.

T-Mac was still better then him though from 01-05, and 07. Pierce has been top 10 but not always.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:
I can think of 7 easily better and 8 or 9 arguably better. So he was top 10 in 02.

But really...what did Pierce really do? They won 19(full season equal of 31), 35, 36, 49, 44, 36, 45, 33, and 24 games. To make the ECf they beat what was probably a 44 or 45 win Philly team and then the Stackhouse Pistons who had nobody shook. They beat the Pacers once I think. Not a very good Pacer team though. And they lost to the Pacers with no Artest, JO injured, and tinsley barely back.

They peaked at a season like the Jazz had when they made the WCF by beating the Warriors and Rockets. Except im betting the Jazz won mroe than 49 games.

Carlos Boozer led his team to as much success as Pierce did and nobody even cares about him(anyone question who led the 07 team to the WCF...look into how he served up the Warriors and what Deron was doing).

Specious reasoning. It isn't all about team success. For a long time, Pierce's best teammate was Antoine Walker.

Quote:
Pierce and Ray led conference finals teams but were not generally ranked over Tmac. And they shouldnt have been. Tmac was for a while there just flat out better than they had the potential to be. He fell off. But that has nothing to do with his ability before he did.
Even if TMac was better, the margin between PP and TMac (and even Kobe, for that matter) was never as big as imagined.

Last edited by JohnnySic : 07-25-2011 at 03:00 PM.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Nick Young
Banned

I'd say at his best top 7
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Nick Young
Banned

Quote:
Specious reasoning. It isn't all about team success. For a long time, Pierce's best teammate was Antoine Walker.

Even if TMac was better, the margin between PP and TMac (and even Kobe, for that matter) was never as big as imagined.
o please don't rewrite history, Paul Pierce has never been close to Tmac or Kobe's level, always atleast a tier below.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Of course it isnt all about team success. But what did he actually do...period? Was he one of the elite swingmen talent wise compared to Tmac, Wade, Vince, Lebron, Durant, and Kobe? No. Was he ever just a "Watch in awe of his skills..." player? No. he had games he went off. Usually with a lot of FTs. he had big moments no doubt. One of my favorite things of the last 10 years was him owning Al harrington. But he just wasnt like a....special player. Not like the other elite swingmen were. Its not that he was unspectacular even. Reggie Miller didnt have half the skills Pierce did/does but hes gonna be remembered much longer. Pierce always lacked that...thing. He combined not actually accomplishing much of anything, losing more than he won, and not being terribly dominant individually with also not being an amazing guy to watch?

Hard for guys like that to stand out.

You can lose and clearly be a special special player. People know when its your team holding you back. In 03 Tmac had 49 games of Mike Miller, 29 games of Grant Hills shadow, 27 games of Giricek, 19 games of Drew Gooden, and then Pat Garrity, 35 year old old Darrell Armstrong, the thing that ate Shawn Kemp, Jaque Vaughn, and Andrew Declercq. And you could argue that was the best of his 4 teams there....

So he lost. And even with some fans of other guards acting like he was overrated due to losing....I think most know that at his peak in Orlando he just didnt have a team that should have done anything. That they made the playoffs is a near miracle. He was just...better than Pierce. Wade in 09 had rookie Beasley and a combined 67 games from JO and marion years past their primes. But he was flat out better than Pierce ever was. He didnt even have an Antione walker. And what did Vince have in Toronto ? Antionio Davis and Mo Pete? Rookie Bosh and donyell Marshall?

Pierce...it could be said..had more to work with than they did at times. He did more in the playoffs. But not by a margin to even bring up in the comparison. Beating a couple 40 something win teams doesnt make you a winner. Rose made the ECF. Paul never got that far. Nobody ever saw me downplay Paul over it. Different situation/teams to go through to get there.

The 02 Celtics, 07 Jazz, and I think 06 Suns are the biggest "So what?" conference finals teams I can think of in recent years. They didnt really win many games...then beat some nobodies in the playoffs. Jazz beat the injured rockets and the Warriors. Celtics the 40-44(not sure) win 76ers and Jerry Stackhouse. Suns beat a .500 Laker team and the Clippers? And took 7 games to beat them?

Conference finals teams all but...eh. Not like they even proved t obe elite in the regular season. They won I wanna say 50, 49, and....53 or 54 games?

Teams that dont stand out in any way but for beating middle of the pack teams they met in the playoffs. If they had won? Its always something to make the finals. to win that many series is...something. To make the conference finals isnt...always...a big deal. Not as far as showing how good a team or player is.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 07-25-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Papaya Petee
Heat Nation

2002-2003 Pierce was sick, and his team made it to the ECF.

Top 6-8 that year.
Papaya Petee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
ThaSwagg3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
2002-2003 Pierce was sick, and his team made it to the ECF.

Top 6-8 that year.
That was 2001-2002, not 2002-2003, they were eliminated by the Nets in the 2nd round in the 2003 playoffs.

I would say Pierce has had a couple of seasons where he was top ten. I actually think he was top ten back in 2007-2008. I remember Pierce called himself the best player in the league when he won the finals MVP though.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
NBAller
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

this guy asks what did paul do, then says "they" won. smh

Last edited by NBAller : 07-25-2011 at 03:10 PM.
NBAller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Quote:

Even if T-mac was better? Is that even a question?
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: