Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster
Default will shaq ever come back?

what are the chances that he unretires?
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
ThaSwagg3r

Default Re: will shaq ever come back?

Percent
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
jbryan1984
Good college starter

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

He's not, he is done. Its not like Reggie Miller who retired in phenomenal shape and you thought he just might come back and win a ring with the Celtics. Shaq wanted to retire following the 2009-2010 season originally, that's what he said in Phoenix anyway. Then, he changed his mind and said after the 2011-2012 season. He looked pretty good during the first half last season. He even had consideration from people for the ASG, mainly due to the lack of good centers. But, you seen him in that Boston/Miami series. He could not even get up and down the floor. I love Shaq as much as a lot of you probably do but everybody gets old.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think he is still capable of helping a team, but the main concern is if he can stay healthy enough to stay on the court. That is why he will never unretire. He just cannot physically take on the rigors of an entire NBA season. If healthy, he would be a serviceable center, but he will never be able to stay healthy.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Bring-Your-Js has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan1984
He's not, he is done. Its not like Reggie Miller who retired in phenomenal shape and you thought he just might come back and win a ring with the Celtics. Shaq wanted to retire following the 2009-2010 season originally, that's what he said in Phoenix anyway. Then, he changed his mind and said after the 2011-2012 season. He looked pretty good during the first half last season. He even had consideration from people for the ASG, mainly due to the lack of good centers. But, you seen him in that Boston/Miami series. He could not even get up and down the floor. I love Shaq as much as a lot of you probably do but everybody gets old.

Most people here fling crazy hate at him. I personally love watching prime Shaq and analyzing his dominance. He played a tremendous role in making the NBA interesting, particularly 1994-2006 when his impact was phenomenal. He would probably get a lot more respect if he didnt jump all over the place at the end of his road.
Bring-Your-Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring-Your-Js
He would probably get a lot more respect if he didnt jump all over the place at the end of his road.
I have my issues w/ his lazy ass ... but this makes things worse to me. The obnoxious, and embarassing ring chasing. Especially how immature he is to this day and HOW he left those teams. Perpetually slinging insults at organizations and players after he leaves, like a true coward.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

He's done. Although if you think about how long Deke hung in there in spite of injuries it wouldn't seem like Shaq playing to at least 40 would be such an outlandish thing (though, clearly, Shaq placed more wear on his body as the first option on three championship squads and made many more deep playoff/championship runs in his time than Deke). Anyone who kept a close eye on his struggles in Boston could see there was simply no bouncing back from the issues he struggled with. Even in a limited capacity.

When I think of Shaq and his decline through age and injury I can't help but think of Grant Hill. Hill took his devastating injuries in stride, acknowledged his age and worked to shape his game and adapt to the situation. It speaks volumes about Shaq's overall work ethic to a degree. I think if Shaq had been willing to reevaluate his game and work on some of his glaring weaknesses following the stint in Miami he could have molded his game toward being effective in spurts without relying so heavily on his overwhelming physicality while playing in the low post. If he'd been able to improve his FT% and developed SOME semblance of a reliable jumper, it's possible he would have been able to extend his tenure in the NBA.

I wouldn't rule him out in some sort of coaching role at some point either. Maybe heading back to Orlando in a few seasons to work with Dwight (if he resigns with Orlando)? Ewing appears to have the coaching itch, so who knows how long he's mapped his future out with that organization.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
GiveItToBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r

Percent

This. He had trouble staying in shape even while he was playing, he's going to get too fat to ever play again. Once he's been gone for a year he'll definitely 100% be gone for good, despite what Walker, Rider, Mobley etc. want to believe, no one really comes back after more than a year unless they're Magic.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Actually I think there is a chance he returns, although it probably is less than 50%.

He said the main reason why he wouldnt be able to come back was the recovery time for his Achilles surgery and that holding up Boston's plans. I believe he did have the surgery done anyways, which is why we havent seen much of him following his retirement announcement.

The intended target date for his "return" would be in February. Considering hes not under contract to Boston, he technically would be a Free Agent. We'll have to see what happens around the Trade Deadline and if there is any team willing to bring him in for the 2nd half of the season & potentially a Playoff run. Knicks? Lakers? Celtics return? Dont rule it out completely.

Shaq loves the glory of it all. He loves the attention no differently than Jordan did because his massive ego relies heavily on self assurance he "can still do it". Jordan still thinks he "can still do it" which is why he even made the comment he did at his HOF induction.

I dont believe Shaq wants to live with himself going out in the way he did running to a lockerroom after injuring his achilles. Hes adamanently criticized Ewing & Wilt for how they went out, and I just cant see him wanting to be grouped in with them. He seemingly would love to go out while healthy, with a huge crowd standing ovation, & a 5th title.

That all depends on if he keeps himself in shape without being on a NBA roster. Thats a big "IF" knowing his history.

Last edited by Rowe : 07-27-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

He could probably still hack out an NBA season, especially a lockout-shortened season, but they'd have to keep his minutes down - that means a team with a good center rotation, which is exceedingly rare - and, most importantly, he'd have to lose a good 40 to 50 lbs., maybe more. And the former seems more probable than the latter.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

I know tha Ainge will put a call in just to check....I hope so.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

can shaq only return to boston? or can he sign with anyone?

but i don't think he will come back, if the 30,000 pt thing was reachable i could see it, but he's achieved everything he needed to.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
ballerz
Local High School Star

ballerz has an OK reputation so far

No. Did you see him play his last few games for boston? could barely run up and down the court
ballerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerz
No. Did you see him play his last few games for boston? could barely run up and down the court

Its because he was coming off of a major injury that he didnt have surgery on, just rehab.

A healthy/motivated Shaq at the start of last season looked so good that it definetly played a role in Boston shipping out Perkins.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

Its sad seeing him go but come on now. He's old and fat. He will get injured again.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: