Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here
Default Happy Birthday to an Underappreciated All Time Great

Happy 70th Birthday to Nate Thurmond, one of the greatest defensive players ever to set foot on the hardwood. Underappreciated by basketball fans today, such wasn't the case with all the contemporaries of his era, who all knew just how good Thurmond was.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Happy Birthday to an Underappreciated All Time Great

no doubt

question

think the hall was too biased towards centers?

seems that if you look it up...during one year in the 70s....more than half starting centers in the league were future hof ers
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Was expecting a late Ray Allen birthday.

I am disappoint.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

millwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected poster

Before Jlauber comes to the thread and spam about Thurmond being a better player than Olajuwon.

Congrats to Thurmond! DEFENSIVE BEAST!

Last edited by millwad : 07-25-2011 at 08:12 PM.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
ThaRegul8r

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

I don't want anyone coming in here to derail the thread with tired, never-ending agendas that go on ad nauseum. For once, let's just give a player his due and leave it at that.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEdiptkyYsY#t=6m50s

http://www.unc.edu/~bretd/quicktalkbignate.htm

'Quick Talk w/ Nate Thurmond,"Extra Sauce", Bret Dougherty, 3/15/2004

In the seating area, you cannot help but look at the dozens of pictures hanging upon the wall. A black and white photo shows Wilt Chamberlain walking down the street in a white button down sweater, followed by Nate and Wayne Hightower in dark suits with dark porkpie hats to match. The three big men in their suits look like they could fit on stage with Miles Davis抯 Quintet at the time.

揟hat one was taken on Haight St. in 1963. We were the biggest front line in NBA history at the time611, 71, and 69攨.We look pretty smooth there....Wilt was a big influence on me at that time. That year, I will never forget that he picked me up in a purple Bentley with a record player attached to the dashboard that played 45s. We drove that thing down to the Monterrey Jazz Festival, and we had a really good time.

Yet, Nate is careful not to mis-represent his feelings for Wilt.

揧ou can抰 be friends with guys you compete against..When Wilt left the Warriors, I learned to be all business, Thurmond says. 揑 can抰 understand how these guys joke around on the court with each other. I always felt that the other guy was out to take my dinner money.

However, Nate抯 admiration for the centers of today is obvious.

揑 really like the centers that are coming out now, he says. 揟hey抮e talented, quick, and agile. Most importantly, they have good footwork and lateral movement. That抯 why I like Duncan and KG (Kevin Garnett). They have the athleticism.

When I look at a center, I immediately ask, 慶an he run? You can抰 coach a stiff. I want a guy that can run, not a galoof. Most guys today can run.

Nate also realizes that his position would be totally different to play now, compared with three decades ago.

揑 look at Shaq and Yao, and there抯 no way I could have handled them. I would have liked to have guarded David Robinson, Hakeem, and Duncan. I would have been challenged by them, and I think I would have done well because I had good enough footwork to step out of the paint to guard someone.

Today, Nate shows up five days a week to run his family business, and above his desk hangs a sign with a quote from Bill Russell.

揟he Game is On Our Schedule. We have to play the game. So why not win.

When I ask, if he holds that statement true to his business, Nate smiles and states, simply, 揌ey baby, I play to win.

http://157.166.255.30/index.php?title=Nate_Thurmond

Teamate Walt Hazard:

"Night in and night out you can depend on him doing his job. His statistics aren't overwhelming, but his presence on the court is unbelievable.. As for blocking shots, I've seen guys get offensive rebounds and then go back 15 feet to make sure they can get a shot off. They know Nate is there."

By now Abdul-Jabbar had been in the NBA for three seasons, and Chamberlain for a decade longer. It was an era of supercenters, big men who could dominate games by scoring nearly at will, and by defending with long arms, quick reflexes, and sheer intimidation. Thurmond, while never reaching the rarefied level of Chamberlain or Abdul-Jabbar, was nevertheless one of the elites of his era.

But not everyone felt that way. It was a source of considerable anguish to Thurmond that some fans and and members of the media often overlooked him because he wasn't flashy and didn't produce huge offensive numbers.

"I'm just not a tricky basketball player," he once told Sport magazine. "Being flashy takes unnecessary effort. Once I got cute and tore up a leg muscle that kept me off the court for four weeks.. I suppose I could make a reputation for myself by dunking the ball and other stuff. But what would it get me?"

He took solace in the fact that his opponents respected him, which meant more to him anyway. "The other players think I'm the best defensive big man in professional basketball," Thurmond added. "They're always coming up to me and saying that. I get the same reaction from other players that Bill Russell used to get."

Both Abdul-Jabbar and Chamberlain have gone on record saying they felt Thurmond was their toughest adversary. "He plays me better than anybody ever has," Abdul-Jabbar told Basketball Digest when he was in his prime. "He's tall, has real long arms, and most of all he's agile and strong." In an article in Sport, Abdul-Jabbar also said, "When I score on Nate, I know I've done something. He sweats and he wants you to sweat, too."

PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

From what I've read, it seems like he may have been the second best defensive center of the era behind Russell, and maybe the best post defender.

2 all-defensive 1st teams, 3 all-defensive 2nd teams and he was 2nd in MVP voting in 1967, the same season that he got to the finals.

Had a TRB% of 18% in 1973 at 31 years old and was one of the best rebounders of his era. Plus, I've heard he was a good passer and jump shooter.

Would love to see some game footage of Thurmond in his prime. That Barry and Thurmond duo must've been great.

Last edited by ShaqAttack3234 : 07-26-2011 at 12:43 AM.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Imagine in San Fran had enough money to keep both him and Wilt.

They would have a front line of

C: Chamberlain
PF: Thurmond
SF: Barry
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Nate who?
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Nate who?

Thurmond. The #2 defensive center to ever play only behind Russell. Of course you have also stated that stiffs like Cartwright & Bynum had a better fadeaway shot and balance than Chamberlain.

At 0:16 mark below we can see a 1965 game where Chet "The Jet" Walker makes an entry pass to Chamberlain for his shot over 6-8, 230 lb Bud Olsen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmFG5bIb7Z4

Nov 12, 1965

In a candid interview in the current issue of a national magazine San Francisco Warrior star Nate Thurmond rates other stars around the league:

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell -- "Chamberlain and Russell are the top centers. Wilt is the best offensively. When he shoots that fadeaway jumper, he's impossible to defend.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #11
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

nate who?
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

jlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
nate who?

The Nate who held a PRIME Kareem to two straight post-season series of 22.8 ppg and 22.8 ppg, and on .405 and .428 shooting. This, from a Kareem who had averaged 34.8 ppg on .574 shooting, and 30.2 ppg on .550 shooting during his regular seasons. He also faced Kareem in some 50+ H2H games, and Kareem seldom even scored 30 points against him, and his HIGH game was only 34 points. In fact, I suspect that Kareem shot considerably less than 45% against Thurmond in those 50+ games, and Kareem was a .559 career shooter.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Lexington Herald-Leader (KY) - October 15, 1999

WILT WAS AT ANOTHER LEVEL, SAYS EX-RIVAL

LOUISVILLE - At 6-foot -8 and around 230 pounds in his prime, Bud Olsen was hefty enough to compete against most of the NBA centers of the 1960s. But Wilt Chamberlain was a different proposition. "Until Wilt," Olsen said, "I'd never been around a guy who made me feel inferior." Now a semi-retired businessman, Olsen was at the theater Tuesday night when he heard that Chamberlain, 63, had died in Los Angeles. The news shook him up because, he said, "you just don't expect certain people to die, especially a legend like him." After graduating from Louisville in 1962, Olsen spent seven years knocking around the NBA. He played on the Cincinnati Royals with Oscar Robertson and,, for a short time, on the Boston Celtics with Bill Russell. But nobody impressed him as much as Chamberlain, the 7-1, 275-pound center who averaged more than 30 points and 22 rebounds during his 14-year career.

As Olsen tells it, Chamberlain was more than just big and strong. "Baseline to baseline," Olsen said, "nobody in the NBA was faster than him.
He was just an incredible athlete. He had big thighs and his body was just chiseled, except for his shins and calves. They were so skinny he wore kneepads. I figured if he ever came after me, my only defense would be kicking him in the shins."

Olsen feared that such an altercation might happen in 1966-67, the season Chamberlain led the Philadelphia 76ers to a 68-13 regular-season record and the NBA title. At the time, Olsen was a backup center for the San Francisco Warriors. "I was sent into the game to foul Wilt," Olsen said. "He had his right hand bandaged up, but he still could windmill the ball with one hand so that it was just impossible to reach it. I'm chopping him the best I can and Earl Strom, who was refereeing, won't call a foul."

After the game I know Wilt's upset with me because I just butchered
him. I saw him outside the locker room and he said, `Bud, if you do that tomorrow night, I'll kill you.' So I did the smart thing. I went outside. I scored 24, the most I ever got on him."

Olsen thinks that 76ers team was the best he ever played against, and that includes several of the 11 NBA championship teams the Celtics produced during Russell's 13-year career. Besides Chamberlain, who averaged 24.1 points and 24.2 rebounds that season, the 76ers had Hal Greer, Chet Walker, Billy Cunningham, Wally Jones, Lucious Jackson and Matt Goukas. They trounced the Celtics, four games to one, in the Eastern Division finals and then whipped Olsen's Warriors, whose stars were Rick Barry & Nate Thurmond.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
ThaRegul8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Nate who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
nate who?

I said no thread derailments. And it's pathetic that people flaunt their ignorance when anything they don't know is a Google search away.

Keep it positive or GTFO
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #15
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
I said no thread derailments. And it's pathetic that people flaunt their ignorance when anything they don't know is a Google search away.

Keep it positive or GTFO

Irony was obviously missed.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: