Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How old will you be when stop/slow down playing, getting new games, reading reviews

Gaming to me is like basketball or any other hobby.

The difference is that I'll be physically capable of playing video games far longer than all that other stuff.

Now when I get older and have a family and stuff and a career it might slow down a bit, but I'll never stop.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How old will you be when stop/slow down playing, getting new games, reading reviews

Hard to tell.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #18
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not going to stop gaming until I have to.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
smuria1
Can barely lace up my sneakers

smuria1 has an OK reputation so far

Stopping, why? probably we all slow down playing when we get more commitments , but I'm personally never stop. I'm 33.
smuria1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Depends on what's going on. Priorities change everything. Though I can see myself playing games here and there.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #21
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This topic is interesting to me. With real-deal home videogaming being relatively new (within the past 30 years or so) I think there's a lot of room for a paradigm shift. I think a lot of folks have assumed they must grow out of video games once they become adults. I think that ties in to the idea that in its infancy, video games were assumed to be "toys" or cartoons that children could manipulate. My theory is that most older folks, parents and general adults once looked at video games as being no different than playing with action figures.

Nowadays, I think there's a couple things that have changed. First, the group of children who grew up on gaming are approaching age 30 and above. It's been a part of their entire life, unlike any other generation. They understand what it is (something they can do for fun) and they understand what it's not (a mere children's toy). I don't view video gaming as being terribly different from watching movies or television.

Second, I think gaming has clearly become more complex, more intricate, more realistic, and more appealing to adults. I still think it'd be okay if a 40-year old couldn't get enough of Super Smash Brothers, but by and large there seems to be a wider array of options that may better appeal to people of age (sports games, war games, mystery games, etc.).

Third, as another poster mentioned, it's becoming easier and easier (and more convenient) to own a gaming system due to its multiple capabilities. My XBox acts as my gaming station, my movie station, my cable station, and oftentimes my music station. I think gaming consoles have established themselves as a legitimate means of variable entertainment.

So, my feeling is, with this Nintendo Entertainment System generation coming through, I don't think there should be any more pressure to quit gaming than there would be to quit watching television or movies. Clearly, there's always a matter of excess, and gaming or watching TV in lieu of important life matters (parenting, work, etc.) but again, that's true of any hobby. If all I did was read novels all day instead of working, it'd be no different than an obsessive gaming addiction in that regard.

Personally, I don't know when I'll stop gaming. If it comes to an end, it'll likely happen naturally. I do not see myself cutting it out just because I think I've passed a certain point in my life. When I was younger, I used to look forward with dread, almost saddened at the idea of how I'd probably be tired of gaming by the time I hit my 20's. Alas, I'm still going. I'm sure my gaming habits have changed but again, it's all natural. If I get tired of playing, I'll stop.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #22
senelcoolidge
College star

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people

I don't think I'll stop until I'm an old man. I don't game as much as I used to when I was kid because I'm an adult with responsibilities now. I work, have a family, and have to take care of other things. I also occupy my time with other things when I'm free, so that leaves less time for gaming ( I have other hobbies as well). But I still dedicate a little time to it. Sometimes I play more than other times. When my son is old enough to play games I will be there playing along with him.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
This topic is interesting to me. With real-deal home videogaming being relatively new (within the past 30 years or so) I think there's a lot of room for a paradigm shift. I think a lot of folks have assumed they must grow out of video games once they become adults. I think that ties in to the idea that in its infancy, video games were assumed to be "toys" or cartoons that children could manipulate. My theory is that most older folks, parents and general adults once looked at video games as being no different than playing with action figures.

Nowadays, I think there's a couple things that have changed. First, the group of children who grew up on gaming are approaching age 30 and above. It's been a part of their entire life, unlike any other generation. They understand what it is (something they can do for fun) and they understand what it's not (a mere children's toy). I don't view video gaming as being terribly different from watching movies or television.

Second, I think gaming has clearly become more complex, more intricate, more realistic, and more appealing to adults. I still think it'd be okay if a 40-year old couldn't get enough of Super Smash Brothers, but by and large there seems to be a wider array of options that may better appeal to people of age (sports games, war games, mystery games, etc.).

Third, as another poster mentioned, it's becoming easier and easier (and more convenient) to own a gaming system due to its multiple capabilities. My XBox acts as my gaming station, my movie station, my cable station, and oftentimes my music station. I think gaming consoles have established themselves as a legitimate means of variable entertainment.

So, my feeling is, with this Nintendo Entertainment System generation coming through, I don't think there should be any more pressure to quit gaming than there would be to quit watching television or movies. Clearly, there's always a matter of excess, and gaming or watching TV in lieu of important life matters (parenting, work, etc.) but again, that's true of any hobby. If all I did was read novels all day instead of working, it'd be no different than an obsessive gaming addiction in that regard.

Personally, I don't know when I'll stop gaming. If it comes to an end, it'll likely happen naturally. I do not see myself cutting it out just because I think I've passed a certain point in my life. When I was younger, I used to look forward with dread, almost saddened at the idea of how I'd probably be tired of gaming by the time I hit my 20's. Alas, I'm still going. I'm sure my gaming habits have changed but again, it's all natural. If I get tired of playing, I'll stop.

^^ good post

(couple of great responses in here ..
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, I don't think it's a matter of a time frame of how old, but a time frame of how much time.

I'm 34, and I probably play 2-5 games a year. When I get into one, it occupies my free time maniacally. But if I can't get into it, I've gotten to a point where I walk away, because I just don't have the free time to devote to something that doesn't really excite me. And I do this without having a wife or kids. I can't imagine that not slowing me down substantially more. But right now I'm coaching youth football, and I do Basketball in the winter. I'm also really hooked on some reading at the moment (A Game of Thrones), so my free time just hasn't been on gaming. The last thing I bought of substance was LA Noir, and just couldn't get hooked, so I stopped. Right around the same time I started the books, and it just seemed like the reading beat out the game in the battle for my free time. Now had it been Red Dead, or a new GTA, or a Resident Evil, or an Uncharted, things may have been different. But I'm always looking for something that will grab me. I find myself more and more on the small DLGs. I just beat Limbo, and early in the year really dug the second PixelJunk Shooter. With less time on my hands, a short game that can occupy my spare time over a weekend seems to fit my schedule better than a 30 hour devotion to an RPG.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #25
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

I don't think I'll ever stop…

I just recently hit 35… and I play regularly everyday, even if its for 15 minutes or some time on a handheld on a break at work. Not only do I play video games, I also collect. I have amassed a collection of almost every major (and many obscure) consoles through out gaming from Fairchild Channel F, every Atari, to PS3 and 360.

I did hit that period right after high school where I pretty much quit playing, this was in 1996 to 1999, when the PlayStation, Saturn, and N64 were on the market. About the only games I played in this time were Symphony of the Night, Tales of Destiny, NHL 98, Panzer Dragoon, and Legend of Oasis. I guess I got back into gaming at the end of 1999 when Gran Turismo 2 came out and I got hooked again - I would play that game for days non stop! skipped days of work even…

In the fall of 2000, right when the PS2 came out, I got that system and Tekken Tag, then a month later my house was robbed. I had to wait a couple weeks to get another PS2 (among other things) and being bummed out and wanting to play a game, I hooked up my old NES and started playing that, got reminded how fun it was, and started going to Funco to buy cheap old games…

These days, I'm getting into alot of pre-crash consoles… Atari 5200, Colecovision, Vectrex… I grew up on NES, but I'm having fun playing these really old, ancient games, 30 years after their release!

When will I stop? I can't stop… I won't stop…
I've slowed down from say when I was a kid, but I'm still rocking a joystick racking up high scores!
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
I don't think I'll ever stop…

I just recently hit 35… and I play regularly everyday, even if its for 15 minutes or some time on a handheld on a break at work. Not only do I play video games, I also collect. I have amassed a collection of almost every major (and many obscure) consoles through out gaming from Fairchild Channel F, every Atari, to PS3 and 360.

I did hit that period right after high school where I pretty much quit playing, this was in 1996 to 1999, when the PlayStation, Saturn, and N64 were on the market. About the only games I played in this time were Symphony of the Night, Tales of Destiny, NHL 98, Panzer Dragoon, and Legend of Oasis. I guess I got back into gaming at the end of 1999 when Gran Turismo 2 came out and I got hooked again - I would play that game for days non stop! skipped days of work even…

In the fall of 2000, right when the PS2 came out, I got that system and Tekken Tag, then a month later my house was robbed. I had to wait a couple weeks to get another PS2 (among other things) and being bummed out and wanting to play a game, I hooked up my old NES and started playing that, got reminded how fun it was, and started going to Funco to buy cheap old games…

These days, I'm getting into alot of pre-crash consoles… Atari 5200, Colecovision, Vectrex… I grew up on NES, but I'm having fun playing these really old, ancient games, 30 years after their release!

When will I stop? I can't stop… I won't stop…
I've slowed down from say when I was a kid, but I'm still rocking a joystick racking up high scores!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I can see it happening. My interest in videogames has been dwindling for a while now.

The fun I used to have with videogames was only limited by the amount of time I had to waste and the amount of money I had to spend on them. I don't mean that playing videogames was all I did, but I mean that I would still have a great time if it was. If a game was anything better than awful I would be finishing it, and if a game was any better than merely decent I would obsess with it. Excellent games would be replayed over and over.

Now, those times are long gone. My standards have increased, my patience has decreased and my motivation to play games is not at the same level. I used to be able to play just to play and still have a fantastic time, but now if I don't get anything specific out of it I don't play. Wasting time is not a reason for me to play like it was back in the day. I don't re-play games and I don't finish games anymore. If a game is really, really good I will play it all the way until the credits roll, but if it isn't -which is usually the case- I will lose interest somewhere down the line. Back in the day I would tolerate an endless barrage of bad writing, grinding or a bad story and it would not faze me. But now all of those things really put me off.

So I can see a time when the whole videogame experience won't be satisfactory for me period and I will stop playing completely.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #28
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

LJJ ...you sound like you were a really seriously gamer..(at one point
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: