Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Default Russell Rules

Russell Rules: 11 Lessons on Leadership from the Twentieth Century's Greatest Winner - Bill Russell

Pete Newell's Playing Big - Pete Newell

Last edited by PHILA : 07-31-2011 at 11:28 AM.
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Default Re: Russell Rules

Nice piece. It once again proves Russell was a very intelligent player and very consious about what he did on the court. This has been said a lot about him.

However, unlike Russell I don't think that Celtcis team would have had a chance against the 90's Bulls (if there ever was such a thing as a timemachine), but who knows.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

When Russell says they would have won in a walk he is right.

But that shouldn't be held against the Bulls. Chicago played in an era with free agency, salary limitations and mega-expansion.

The Celtics had rosters of five-seven deep with guys who were among the top 30 players in the World. Chicago never had more than 3 or 4 such players.

Most important is what Russell says about the key to the Celtics winning titles. They knew how to let the opponents superstar have a great game and still control the style and pace en route to victory.

Too much depth, too good defensively and should Jordan get to the rim, a smarter guy who is just as athletic and four inches taller is waiting for him. A challenge unlike anything he ever saw in his postseason career. The Bulls wouldn't be able to slow the pace to what they are used to and the Celtics would roll.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

He didnt say anything is call disrespectful. I always liked Bill. You can tell he thinks about what he has to say. He didnt say they could stop Mike. Just that they could still win. Which I guess isnt impossible...but I cant see cousy being unstoppable like he implied. Ron Harper, Mike, or Scottie man to man on a guy smaller and shower who had no jumpshot(literally...)? They would have feasted on Bob. Hes not scoring much if at all outside the break.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: