Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The longer the lockout carries on...

I just can't handle that a guy who is on the Lakers and is still playing is president of the players association. Seriously, you guys are making enough to buy big houses and expensive cars. The lot of the people on earth actually work at jobs they hate but need to for the money. Enjoy the game and don't let greed interrupt what you saw when you first started playing, the joy of the game.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

D. Stern wanted to turn the game into a corporate game, but now he's created a monster. The reason the players were all about basketball back in the day is because they weren't educated about the business sides of things. Now they all do their research, and have multiple advisors telling them how to maximize their profits. They have guys telling them they are worth way more than they are and people saying that "standing your ground" is more important than having a basketball season. It seems that both sides aren't even looking to make an agreement, they are just making outlandish proposals and hoping that one side will get desperate, cave in and say, you win, you are the alphamale. As much as I love basketball, I think it hurts them as players and owners way more than it hurts us as fans. Sure it takes away my 2 and half hours of entertainment every once in awhile but i'm not losing a 15M contract, or all the revenues being brought in by the arena, the merchandise sales, etc... I think if the season locks out, those bastards deserve exactly what they get.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Raptors-Aussie
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Raptors-Aussie has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
I just can't handle that a guy who is on the Lakers and is still playing is president of the players association. Seriously, you guys are making enough to buy big houses and expensive cars. The lot of the people on earth actually work at jobs they hate but need to for the money. Enjoy the game and don't let greed interrupt what you saw when you first started playing, the joy of the game.

Exactly right! Many of us would be happy to just have $1 million. Play the game for the joy of it and not for the millions of dollars that they make!
Raptors-Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Couldn't agree more lilbeastnani.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptors-Aussie
Exactly right! Many of us would be happy to just have $1 million. Play the game for the joy of it and not for the millions of dollars that they make!

I'd be happy to be in the nba and making 100k.
But the players seem to be reasonable offering compromise.
The game is making more money than ever and the owners want more still.

Players were making 57% owners want it at 50% and the players offered to come down to 53%. Seems pretty reasonable.

The real issue is that owners are spending ridiculous money, not just on player salaries but on operating expenses.

Interesting article http://wagesofwins.net/2011/06/30/ta...labor-dispute/
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

despite that information, I don't think we really know all the financial details going on behind the scene. but something in particular that I think hampers the NBA moreso than the NFL is the long guaranteed contracts that they are trying to get rid of. I like the NFL system where it's like you get a certain amount of guaranteed money but it's not the entire contract and then you get bonuses and things based on performance/results. I know it would be very hard to try and reinvent a system that has been this way for years, but it would produce a lot more revenue and the players would be more concerned with giving a good effort.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Teams don't have to sign long-term contracts if they don't like. They do it because it is a fair deal. They have to choose the right players though. If a team throws a lot of money on a bad player, that's the team's fault, not the system.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
Teams don't have to sign long-term contracts if they don't like. They do it because it is a fair deal. They have to choose the right players though. If a team throws a lot of money on a bad player, that's the team's fault, not the system.
I'd say it's a little bit of both. Due to guaranteed 6 year deals, a "fair deal" is not determined by whether or not the player is really worth it to them for that number of years. It's determined by what other guys are getting and by what they bring to your franchise from a money standpoint rather than a basketball standpoint for the most part. For instance, you aren't going to give a 30-31 year old out of prime superstar a max contract thinking that he'll be just as good for you at the end of it as he is at the beginning. You have to give it to him because he won't accept a smaller deal for lesser years based on the system it would be a slap in the face to do so and they'd for sure walk, as seems to be the going trend right now.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Well there are plenty of poor contracts in the NBA. Players receiving more money than they should be. That goes down on ownership and their inability to make the correct decisions. In a league of 30 teams, teams under the cap feel as if they must make a move to keep up with the others ie. The Pistons with Gordon and Charlie V or the Raps with Hedo. Rarely does it ever work. You can say what you want about the players, but they are just taking as much money as they can. Its up to the owners to make the correct decisions for their respective teams.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #25
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Well there are plenty of poor contracts in the NBA. Players receiving more money than they should be. That goes down on ownership and their inability to make the correct decisions. In a league of 30 teams, teams under the cap feel as if they must make a move to keep up with the others ie. The Pistons with Gordon and Charlie V or the Raps with Hedo. Rarely does it ever work. You can say what you want about the players, but they are just taking as much money as they can. Its up to the owners to make the correct decisions for their respective teams.

It's actually funny to look at the ridiculous failure of almost all free agent signings. Of the top of my head i can think of 10 really bad fa signings and outside of the miami fiasco and steve nash I can't think of any really great fa signings.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #26
bokes15
Playoffs!

I didn't say anything about the players. What I said actually has nothing to do with the players. Obviously they (the players) are gonna take advantage of the system thats there for them as any smart person would.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #27
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Steve Nash tweeted (quite correctly) that when the players accept less over all - none of the ownership groups will rush out and lower ticket prices !

Bahh - this is a storm in a teacup.

The danger of alienating the sports crowd will force both groups of greedy millionaires/billionaires to compromise to save a 50 game season.

People will intially be resentful and then watch as the palyoff gear up.

I will completely forget about all this non-sense and cheer for the Raptors cause I a typical weak minded fan who simply doesnt care about the business side and will want to watch my team play ball.

Then all the sports radio talk shows can opine who won - who lost in negotiations and we can continue to ignore even them.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #28
bokes15
Playoffs!

I lived in NY last year and I already saw severe spikes in ticket prices, so that's nothing new. As beastnani said, neither side is looking for a fair bargain. They are just looking to one up the other side and in the end, it's causing both sides to lose out big time.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #29
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

I don't like the 'the players all make plenty of millions, they should all just shut up and play instead of whining for more money'.

That majorly over-simplifies the situation and simply makes no sense.

Yes they all make way more than real people. Does that mean they shouldn't concern themselves with financial details?

So should a multi-millionaire business man, because he makes so much, not care about the details of how much money he makes and be happy with $600,000/yr profit instead of 2 billion?

It's just not as simple as 'you make lots of money so STFU'. Should the players accept a 10/90 profit sharing model then because 10% of billions is still millions?
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
bokes15
Playoffs!

I definitely understand what you're saying. I don't know who that was addressed at, but if it's me thats not my stance. I'm not saying "the players make millions so they should STFU." What i'm saying is that the business aspect has overtaken the sport itself. At the root of it all, is BASKETBALL, not business. Yes, business is a part of it, but it's not the same as working in a factory, or a retail store, or being a doctor, lawyer, or an accountant. If you look at a sport like soccer for instance, it's widly popular globally and there's a lot of money to go around but at the end of the day, the love of soccer is still the driving force in everyones mind. It's a situation where they are getting paid to do something they would do if they weren't receiving a dime, rather than a JOB that they don't really love but are doing because they know it makes them a ton of cash. We have corporate people for that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: