Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
rfoster24
Decent playground baller

rfoster24 has not been impressing people
Default Rank these point guards in their primes

John Stockton
Gary Payton
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd

my opinion is listed from top to bottom, best to worst
rfoster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rank these point guards in their primes

1. Payton
2. Nash
3. Kidd
4. Stockton

The funny thing is Payton is probably last if we are talking about career wise.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Kidd
Stockton
Nash
Payton.

Kidd is the best overall player... Stockton is underated... that guy was a scrappy defender and got a shit ton of steals... but couldn't guard a guys like Kobe, Michael, Lebron, etc. like Payton and Kidd could. Nash no D... but by far best offensive threat. Payton had a pretty good all around game, but was not great at anything IMO besides trash talking. I think between him and Kidd it's arguable about who is the better defender.
Swaggin916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
rfoster24
Decent playground baller

rfoster24 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Kidd
Stockton
Nash
Payton.

Kidd is the best overall player... Stockton is underated... that guy was a scrappy defender and got a shit ton of steals... but couldn't guard a guys like Kobe, Michael, Lebron, etc. like Payton and Kidd could. Nash no D... but by far best offensive threat. Payton had a pretty good all around game, but was not great at anything IMO besides trash talking. I think between him and Kidd it's arguable about who is the better defender.

Completely agree even though payton had dpoy as a point guard, but kidd was able to stay in fron of lebron and kobe in 2011, so that also says something. That being said i completely disagree with Kidd being the best of the 4. Stockton and Nash could shoot lights out and Payton was the best scorer. Kidd other than assists, wasn't all that good at putting points on the board in my opinon
rfoster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Bless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this board

TIM hardaway
Bless Mathews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
1. Payton
2. Nash
3. Kidd
4. Stockton

The funny thing is Payton is probably last if we are talking about career wise.

True.

Payton was the most gifted player of those four though. He didnt have as great a court vision/passing ability as the other three guys listed and he didn't have as good a shooting touch as Nash, but he was easily the best offensive player of those four when you take into account his scoring. Defensively I have him ranked over Kidd (by a close margin) and Stockton as well.

Still I'd take Kidd over Payton, because of his intangibles. Kidd with the Suns and Nets was a great team leader, better than Payton ever was. Also a great scorer (sometimes), eventhough he was a liability when he shot too much. He made everyone around him better, more so than Payton. Kidd could put a team on his back more than any guys in this list (they were all great in that regard, but still). He didnt do it by scoring, but by putting everyone in his place, getting players comfortable and coming up with important rebounds, big defensive plays or giving a great pass when needed.
Eventhough Payton was more skilled on both ends of the floor, I'd take Kidd over him, because Kidd has that X factor
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

1. john stockton
2. jason kidd
3. gary payton
4. steve nash
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

1) Jason Kidd
2) Steve Nash
3) John Stockton
4) Gary Payton
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

Glove
Nash
Kidd
stockton
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
LastEpisode
I brick open layups

LastEpisode is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Payton
Kidd
Stockton
Nash

I have Payton over Kidd by a very close margin.. Nash should be last cause he's a liability on defense..
LastEpisode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

Nash should easily be top 2 on any list if we're talking about prime. Not a 2x MVP for nothin.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastEpisode
Payton
Kidd
Stockton
Nash

I have Payton over Kidd by a very close margin.. Nash should be last cause he's a liability on defense..

18ppg 11APG on 50/40/90 makes up for it.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
GiveItToBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoster24
John Stockton
Gary Payton
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd

my opinion is listed from top to bottom, best to worst

Pretty much the same, I might move Nash or Kidd above Payton, but they're similar enough. The Glove is pretty underrated, mostly because he was mildly washed up from about 2003 on but played on high profile teams. He got destroyed by the Pistons in the 04 finals, the numbers don't begin to show how thoroughly Chauncey Billups killed him. That said, he was an elite two way player who led his team to the Finals in the MJ Era, which is pretty damned impressive. By the way, I feel like Payton more than anyone else is the guy Wall will eventually develop into.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Payton
Kidd

-cant decide between nash and stockton for 3rd
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
necya
Local High School Star

necya has an OK reputation so far

i have Nash at 4 and the other at 1, they are very close to me.
and i would take Penny Hardaway over those guys without hesitation
necya is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: