Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #61
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Uncharted 2 scored a higher average (among all critics, from all game sites) then Mass Effect 2 did.

Uncharted 2: 96.41%
Mass Effect 2: 95.66%

All-Time rank:

Uncharted 2: 6th
Mass Effect 2: 14th
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #62
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Uncharted is a very linear and casual game. A great game no doubt but not one you get attached too. With Mass Effect you bond with all the characters. When someone dies it sucks. Not to mention you have a ton of control over the story which carries over to sequels. Mass Effect 3 is going to dominate Gears and Uncharted.

Eh, it might be linear and lacks open-world play; but it's still a better game then Mass Effect 2. I own both games and I will never get tired of playing U2. Naughty Dog just does too many things right with this game; it's about as flawless of a game as I've seen.

No wonder it received the honor of "Generation Defining Best Game Of the Decade" in 2010. It is the highest rated game from the PS3/360 library; only Mario Galaxy (on Wii) is rated higher.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #63
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,737
Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
Uncharted 2 scored a higher average (among all critics, from all game sites) then Mass Effect 2 did.

Uncharted 2: 96.41%
Mass Effect 2: 95.66%

All-Time rank:

Uncharted 2: 6th
Mass Effect 2: 14th

Titles like game of the decade are so subjective. Your percentages prove these games are both elite and on the same tier. I personally don't get much enjoyment out of a linear Tomb Raider style adventure. I'm an RPG and Sci Fi guy all the way. Besides the debate here at first was comparing the finale of both. Mass Effect 3 should come out victorious. Mass Effect 2 was purely a set up for part 3. In epic trilogy stories part 2 is a bridge. Mass Effect 1 owned Uncharted 1.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #64
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Lol. Even Sony fans in an IGN review admitted Mass Effect 2 was better than Uncharted 2. I suppose if you prefer a pointless adventure game over an epic RPG. I suppose best is subjective. I'm willing to bet anyone Mass Effect takes Game Of The Year and scores a 9.8 or higher.

What are you talking?
They've rated U2 the #1 game on PS3 last August.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1060027p26.html

IGN:

Uncharted 2: 9.5 (Reader's: 9.3)
Mass Effect 2: 9.5 (Reader's 9.0)

Gamespot

Uncharted 2: 9.5 (Reader's 9.5)
Mass Effect 2: 9.0 (Reader's 9.4) --> (on PS3, MS2 received 8.5 score)

The two biggest game sites both had U2 over MS2; not to mention 13,000+ fans voted and U2 had a higher score both times. Gameranking takes all the critic scores and combines them; U2 is 6th All-Time, Mass Effect is 14th All-Time.

Maybe you should learn to respect others opinion; if you believe that all Uncharted 2i was is a "pointless" adventure game, then you either haven't given it a try yet or don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I already wrote a review about why I consider it the best game of All-Time; read up on it, maybe it'll enlighten you a little. It's more then just a pointless game bro, it's an epic achievement with an almost perfect score.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #65
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Titles like game of the decade are so subjective. Your percentages prove these games are both elite and on the same tier. I personally don't get much enjoyment out of a linear Tomb Raider style adventure. I'm an RPG and Sci Fi guy all the way. Besides the debate here at first was comparing the finale of both. Mass Effect 3 should come out victorious. Mass Effect 2 was purely a set up for part 3. In epic trilogy stories part 2 is a bridge. Mass Effect 1 owned Uncharted 1.

Mass Effect received an overall score of 91.15%; while Uncharted: Drake's Fortune received an overall rating of 89.70%. Hardly being owned; but U2 made a greater leap then Mass Effect 2 did.

So if you're comparing MS3 to U3; based on the above trajectory, perhaps your projection is rather flawed. Plus I can see I'm dealing with an RPG fanatic, not an actual gaming fanatic. It's pointless discussing with you; you'll always prefer your type of genre over another, regardless if that other genre is superior.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #66
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Heavincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,342
Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
Uncharted 2 scored a higher average (among all critics, from all game sites) then Mass Effect 2 did.

Uncharted 2: 96.41%
Mass Effect 2: 95.66%

All-Time rank:

Uncharted 2: 6th
Mass Effect 2: 14th

Who cares? I don't give a shit what the critics think. I like Mass Effect 2 better.

Uncharted isn't even Naughty Dog's best franchise IMO.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #67
JaskoX1
The Herpes of My Life.
 
JaskoX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 650
JaskoX1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

CasualFan86 pumpn' out the stats figures
JaskoX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #68
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
Who cares? I don't give a shit what the critics think. I like Mass Effect 2 better.

Uncharted isn't even Naughty Dog's best franchise IMO.

That's fine, I am trying to put things in perspective. It's a subjective matter and you or Clipperfan liking ME2 more is fine by me. Both are held in high regard in their own right.

Critics aren't the only ones who've rated Uncharted 2 the better game; gamers did so as well as the game received higher scores from the people who've actually played both games; as I've stated in my previous post.

The guy was acting like ME2 was on some other planet just because Uncharted isn't his cup of tea; if anything, it's the other way around. If you're going to compare games (or movies/music) and act like your own personal preference should be held in higher regard, then be prepared to receive backlash from people who disagree. Don't get offended, if you make personal statements on a forum; people will respond.

Key is to have a civil discussion and respect other poster's opinion. I have done so by highlighting how Uncharted 2 is held at a slightly higher regard from people who have played it.

Regarding IGN, perhaps certain critics have stated that ME2 is the better game but that certainly isn't the consensus on that site. They love U2 on there; they've rated it higher then GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Guns of Patriots, Mass Effect 2; despite those games actually receiving a higher score from their critics. The gamers rate U2 the best PS3 game as well; and those scores they give are preliminary scores. GTA, RDR, MGS and couple other games received (originally) a higher score then U2; yet none of those games were higher on the list (in their article of top 25 PS3 games); so they've clearly changed their opinion after subsequent experience with the game.

I personally value player reviews more then critic scores; because there's at least 10,000+ reviews posted about each game from gamers rather then just a dozen or so critics from a web-site.

Last edited by crosso√er : 08-12-2011 at 06:14 AM.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #69
RobertdeMeijer
Serious playground baller
 
RobertdeMeijer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 418
RobertdeMeijer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

My opinion to the original question:

I will not bother playing Mass Effect 3 if characters, and the ability to interact with them, are still so obvious.
Bioware will need to return to the depth of Planescape Torment (if not more) or make a compelling world like Deus Ex.

Okay, I'll just admit that I found the first two rather subpar.
RobertdeMeijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #70
JaskoX1
The Herpes of My Life.
 
JaskoX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 650
JaskoX1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?



JaskoX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #71
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Heavincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,342
Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
I personally value player reviews more then critic scores; because there's at least 10,000+ reviews posted about each game from gamers rather then just a dozen or so critics from a web-site.

I don't. A lot of those player reviews are from raging fanboys that give it a 10 just because it's an exclusive.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #72
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
I don't. A lot of those player reviews are from raging fanboys that give it a 10 just because it's an exclusive.

Well, then it's no different then me not valuing your opinion now is it?
Can't have your cake and eat it too. You and Clipperfan sound just like those "fanboys" that review games online.

Mass Effect 1/2 was an exclusive on Xbox until a few months ago; so what exactly is the difference there?

You sound like a hypocrite trying to belittle others opinion; the minute you rolled your eyes at someone suggesting Uncharted was a better game, solidifies my opinion about your bias.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #73
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,737
Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
Well, then it's no different then me not valuing your opinion now is it?
Can't have your cake and eat it too. You and Clipperfan sound just like those "fanboys" that review games online.

Mass Effect 1/2 was an exclusive on Xbox until a few months ago; so what exactly is the difference there?

You sound like a hypocrite trying to belittle others opinion; the minute you rolled your eyes at someone suggesting Uncharted was a better game, solidifies my opinion about your bias.

You didn't suggest anything. You flat out said Uncharted was better, just like we did with Mass Effect. We are all talking in circles here. You clearly feel Uncharted is better. What you're not understanding here is less flawed doesn't mean better game by ANY stretch. You accusing me of being an RPG fanatic, not an all around gamer couldn't be further from the truth. Some of the most memorable and amazing games ever have been very flawed titles. Uncharted has less flaws than Mass Effect... which is why you'll see the slightly higher ratings. These breakdowns factor in pointless things like sound quality etc. They also factor in the few glitches etc.

The engine that Uncharted runs is superior when it comes to efficiency and even graphics BUT that doesn't make it a better title. If you consider a Tomb Raider style game the best of the generation that's you but most "Hardcore gamers" are going to prefer the deeper game. Not everyone is an RPG gamer or a Sci Fi junkie but no doubt Mass Effect has way more content, a better plot, control over the plot and a much more memorable voice acting crew.

Go to IMDB and look up Mass Effect's voice crew and you'll see some really impressive names, especially in the 2nd game and 3rd one coming up. These aren't a bunch of unknown people. Bioware used the best of everything.

Your listings before proved these games are on the same tier. Polls have proven they are pretty much dead even. Sales for both franchises are in the 7-8 million range between the first 2 games. They are very much the top dogs and top franchises of this generation when it comes to quality. As for who's the best comes down to preference but we clearly disagree here so no need to keep this going. Let's wait for both games to come out and then judge. I personally think Deus Ex is going to win GOTY and beat out Uncharted 3 for 2011.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #74
PowerGlove
By Any Means
 
PowerGlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta/Toronto
Posts: 10,198
PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

I could care less who they are, the voice acting in uncharted is top notch dude. Lets not go there.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #75
crosso√er
Decent college freshman
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,192
crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Will Mass Effect 3 be the greatest game of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
You didn't suggest anything. You flat out said Uncharted was better, just like we did with Mass Effect. We are all talking in circles here. You clearly feel Uncharted is better. What you're not understanding here is less flawed doesn't mean better game by ANY stretch. You accusing me of being an RPG fanatic, not an all around gamer couldn't be further from the truth. Some of the most memorable and amazing games ever have been very flawed titles. Uncharted has less flaws than Mass Effect... which is why you'll see the slightly higher ratings. These breakdowns factor in pointless things like sound quality etc. They also factor in the few glitches etc.

The engine that Uncharted runs is superior when it comes to efficiency and even graphics BUT that doesn't make it a better title. If you consider a Tomb Raider style game the best of the generation that's you but most "Hardcore gamers" are going to prefer the deeper game. Not everyone is an RPG gamer or a Sci Fi junkie but no doubt Mass Effect has way more content, a better plot, control over the plot and a much more memorable voice acting crew.

Go to IMDB and look up Mass Effect's voice crew and you'll see some really impressive names, especially in the 2nd game and 3rd one coming up. These aren't a bunch of unknown people. Bioware used the best of everything.

Your listings before proved these games are on the same tier. Polls have proven they are pretty much dead even. Sales for both franchises are in the 7-8 million range between the first 2 games. They are very much the top dogs and top franchises of this generation when it comes to quality. As for who's the best comes down to preference but we clearly disagree here so no need to keep this going. Let's wait for both games to come out and then judge. I personally think Deus Ex is going to win GOTY and beat out Uncharted 3 for 2011.

Coming from the guy who referred to Uncharted as a "pointless" game, then as soon as people called you out; you gradually started to praise its score.

I've played both games, I like Uncharted more. If I liked a game more then ME 2 (which is my favorite RPG game by far); then it's far from "pointless". It's an intriguing adventure game; and who cares if it's linear? That simple fact should tell you how great of an achievement it is then.

Just because I like Uncharted more; doesn't mean ME2 isn't one of the greatest games ever made. I've simply displayed how Uncharted 2 received more praise from critics/gamers; that is all I did.

If a game is less flawed, how is it not better? Preference is how.
You might not be an RPG fan-boy; but you clearly enjoy RPG more-so then linear adventure games. Games win GOTY from critics who are neutral when evaluating games, not people who enjoy one genre over another. So therefore, I still believe (and hope) that U3 becomes the GOTY (and perhaps best game of All-Time); since it's right down my alley of interest.

I was just having some friendly back & forth; definitely no feelings are hurt over you liking one game over another.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy