Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends

Kobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Who's better: Stockton or Nash

If you had to choose between these two guys to lead your team, who would you take and why? If you look at their numbers it seems as though Nash would score a little more for you and Stockton would dish out slightly more assists. Stockton was 2nd team all-defense several times and he got his team to the Finals twice. Nash was back to back NBA MVP. Nash is a better shooter in my opinion, one of the best of all time.

I like Nash more but I think I'd take Stockton because of his defense and because he was able to get his team to the Finals.
Kobe 4 The Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
OmniStrife
College superstar

OmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Who's better: Stockton or Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
If you had to choose between these two guys to lead your team, who would you take and why? If you look at their numbers it seems as though Nash would score a little more for you and Stockton would dish out slightly more assists. Stockton was 2nd team all-defense several times and he got his team to the Finals twice. Nash was back to back NBA MVP. Nash is a better shooter in my opinion, one of the best of all time.

I like Nash more but I think I'd take Stockton because of his defense and because he was able to get his team to the Finals.

Malone was clearly the better player on that team.
OmniStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has decent reputation

Quote:

It's in my opinion that the only thing Stockton has on Nash is defense.

If Nash got to play with a player of Malone's caliber during his prime, he would have averaged at least as many assists. I realize he got to play with Dirk (when Nash wasn't really at his best) and Amare, but Malone is on another level.

I would take Stockton over Nash though because of Stockton's defense. Nash isn't that much better a passer or scorer than Stockton to justify his horrid defense.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Very tough call. Especially with the longevity of Nash. I think had Nash not been a late bloomer in the NBA statistically he would be breaking some of Stockton's records a while ago. Assuming Nash can maintain this level of play another 2-3 seasons I'm putting him over Stockton.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
OmniStrife
College superstar

OmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableOmniStrife is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
It's in my opinion that the only thing Stockton has on Nash is defense.

If Nash got to play with a player of Malone's caliber during his prime, he would have averaged at least as many assists. I realize he got to play with Dirk (when Nash wasn't really at his best) and Amare, but Malone is on another level.

I would take Stockton over Nash though because of Stockton's defense. Nash isn't that much better a passer or scorer than Stockton to justify his horrid defense.

While I agree on most points but saying that Nash isn't that much better than Stockton in scoring is wrong.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this board

Nash. No contest for me.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends

Kobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniStrife
Malone was clearly the better player on that team.

And many would argue that Amare' was the better player on Nash's best teams. Neither Stockton or Nash were the number one options. The point guard leads the team so I think it's apples to apples.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
donald_trump
im a superhero

donald_trump is starting to rub some people the wrong way

for all shit nash gets for his defense, its such a major cop out to single it out as a reason why another player is better than him.
he plays point guard. defense at that position is all about gambling and picking up steals wherever you can. look at the nba today. not a single lockdown defender at the point guard position. chris paul is probably the best defender at the point guard spot, and all he does is pick off passes.

nash was an infinitely better scorer. its not particularly close. those who watched both would know. those who don't believe, go check how many times stockton has actually scored 30 points in a game. lets just say nash has more than triple 30 point games than stockton does. some of you will be shocked at how low the figure is for stockton.

as for the passing, i'd go for nash again. stockton benefited more than anyone in league history when it comes to assists from playing with the player he did and in the system he did.

then you've got shooting. once again nash.

stockton took care of the ball better, but id argue that as well considering the different types of offense both teams ran.
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
OmniStrife
College superstar

Quote:
And many would argue that Amare' was the better player on Nash's best teams. Neither Stockton or Nash were the number one options. The point guard leads the team so I think it's apples to apples.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
donald_trump
im a superhero

donald_trump is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:

who were the ones winning mvp on each team? theres the better player.
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniStrife

Amare was the number one option, Nash the facilitator.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

tough pick. id say nash. he had the higher peak of play but stockton had the consistency through every season for all seasons.

Nash is still trucking though. averaging close to his stats in his MVP years. It doesnt look like he will slow down anytime soon since he is already the most fundamentally sound PG in the NBA. and probably the best shooter among PGs as well.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald_trump
for all shit nash gets for his defense, its such a major cop out to single it out as a reason why another player is better than him.
he plays point guard. defense at that position is all about gambling and picking up steals wherever you can. look at the nba today. not a single lockdown defender at the point guard position. chris paul is probably the best defender at the point guard spot, and all he does is pick off passes.

nash was an infinitely better scorer. its not particularly close. those who watched both would know. those who don't believe, go check how many times stockton has actually scored 30 points in a game. lets just say nash has more than triple 30 point games than stockton does. some of you will be shocked at how low the figure is for stockton.

as for the passing, i'd go for nash again. stockton benefited more than anyone in league history when it comes to assists from playing with the player he did and in the system he did.

then you've got shooting. once again nash.

stockton took care of the ball better, but id argue that as well considering the different types of offense both teams ran.

Agreed on all accounts except one: a lot of Chris Paul's steals are on-ball, but the point about no one really playing lockdown D at the point guard spot stands (Jason Kidd can play lockdown D on off guards and small forwards however). Nash is exceptionally bad though because he goes behind screens a lot and doesn't provide any ball pressure.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #14
knickswin
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
tough pick. id say nash. he had the higher peak of play but stockton had the consistency through every season for all seasons.

Nash is still trucking though. averaging close to his stats in his MVP years. It doesnt look like he will slow down anytime soon since he is already the most fundamentally sound PG in the NBA. and probably the best shooter among PGs as well.

definitely the best shooter among PGs--possibly the best shooter in the NBA. Amazing shooter. All time great shooter. His ability to hit the perecentages he does from three mostly turning the corner off the PnR is astounding.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #15
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'll take Nash.

When you get to this level as a passer, I'd be lying if I said that I could tell a noticeable difference between Stockton and Nash in that area. Both are among the best ever.

Nash is a superior scorer however, and that made him more of a superstar and elite player/franchise player. We've seen Nash average 30/12 in a playoff series, drop 48 in the playoffs, take over games ect. Stockton was a good shooter, and he could score as well, but not like Nash. And lets not act like Utah couldn't have used another player stepping up in scoring, particularly with Malone having his fair share of bad games in the playoffs. Nash was simply a much more creative scorer off the dribble, an even better shooter from all areas, and in particular, a better tough shot maker.

You can criticize Nash's MVPs all you want(even though he had a good case), but the fact that he was that strong of a candidate, and had a 2nd place finish in 2007 should tell you something. Stockton's top 3 finishes were 7th, 8th and 9th. Nash has an additional all-nba first team selection as well.

Stockton was definitely a better defender, but that's not enough, imo.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: