Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #31
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: How hopeful are you for the Dwight sweepstakes in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Well thats one way to look at it. The way I looked at it was that he was going to get more 1 on 1 opportunities so he wont be doubled much, or that he was going to get more wide open dunks from Kobe's penetrations. If all else fails, the pressure is off Pau which allows Pau to get more opportunities.

As far as your initial question goes, it depends on the point guard we are considering. If you're talking Chris Paul, then I go for Chris Paul over Dwight, or even Deron Williams. If your talking raymond felton or something along those lines, then I go for Dwight easily. You get me?

Ask yourself this; Will Kobe be willing to give the ball to Dwight knowing that he will never get it back due to either Dwight shooting or turning it over?

For this team I would take ANY top 10 PG over getting Howard.
Is Howard going to improve our outside shooting problem?
Is Howard going to guard Barea or any of the PG's who destroy us?

The center position is NOT hurting us.....sure it could be better but we need to fix what is really wrong. We have only 1 player who hits outside shots on a regular basis....Kobe.

Is Howard worth the money to this team as the #3 option

Last edited by DKLaker : 08-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Ask yourself this; Will Kobe be willing to give the ball to Dwight knowing that he will never get it back due to either Dwight shooting or turning it over?

For this team I would take ANY top 10 PG over getting Howard.
Is Howard going to improve our outside shooting problem?
Is Howard going to guard Barea or any of the PG's who destroy us?

The center position is NOT hurting us.....sure it could be better but we need to fix what is really wrong. We have only 1 player who hits outside shots on a regular basis....Kobe.

Is Howard worth the money to this team as the #3 option

You can use the same argument for a lot of PGs around the league though. If you give the ball to Deron Williams or Westbrook, you may not get it back. They might get the ball to somebody else instead of passing it back to Kobe or they might drive into the paint or shoot. Both Williams and Westbrook average a lot more shots per game than Dwight.

For the rest of the argument, I agree with you. It basically boils down to this: do we want to improve a major blackhole or do we want to improve a position that is already good? Great from atrocious (PG) or Great from good (C)?

If you look at the argument that way, you will want to logically go for PG almost every time UNLESS if you can acquire Jameer Nelson alongside Dwight. That changes the argument. Not only would C improve from good to great but PG would also go from atrocious to pretty good (Nelson isn't a top 10 PG in the league so he is not quite "good" yet). If we can get both Dwight AND Nelson while keeping Kobe and Gasol, we are good! LO/Bynum/Artest/Barnes/Fisher/Blake/etc should ALL be on the table.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
You can use the same argument for a lot of PGs around the league though. If you give the ball to Deron Williams or Westbrook, you may not get it back. They might get the ball to somebody else instead of passing it back to Kobe or they might drive into the paint or shoot. Both Williams and Westbrook average a lot more shots per game than Dwight.

For the rest of the argument, I agree with you. It basically boils down to this: do we want to improve a major blackhole or do we want to improve a position that is already good? Great from atrocious (PG) or Great from good (C)?

If you look at the argument that way, you will want to logically go for PG almost every time UNLESS if you can acquire Jameer Nelson alongside Dwight. That changes the argument. Not only would C improve from good to great but PG would also go from atrocious to pretty good (Nelson isn't a top 10 PG in the league so he is not quite "good" yet). If we can get both Dwight AND Nelson while keeping Kobe and Gasol, we are good! LO/Bynum/Artest/Barnes/Fisher/Blake/etc should ALL be on the table.

Ok, I like where you went with that. Jameer + Dwight
Can we dump Luke into that deal.....lol.

As for the over shooting Pg's I hear you BUT at least they are capable of completing a pass if they try one.....Howard is terrible!!!
I couldn't believe the 33 turnovers to 3 assists in the playoffs stat, I had to triple check it for accuracy....never seen anything so bad.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #34
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I guarantee you that Star for Star, Chris Paul would have a bigger impact on this team than Dwight Howard.......and it's not even remotely close...not in the slightest bit.

Howard wouldn't be the focal point of our offense, he would be behind Kobe and Pau for touches.....with those few touches he becomes Andrew Bynum.

With a REAL point guard penetrating and dishing, Andrew Bynum becomes Dwight Howard.

You take Magic Johnson off the Showtime Lakers and they don't win anything.
As great as Kareem was the team still got to the playoffs and finals without him......Hell, Magic won the first title with Kareem sitting at home for the final game.....and Jordan never had a real good center.

Howard's game is still way too incomplete for me to even consider him a future great.

Howard is not going to make his teammates better, he can't pass, he can't shoot.

With the crap we have at PG now, Howard would be in constant foul trouble anyway.....our problem is NOT at center so our solution is not at center.
If we had a good-very good PG I would say yeah get Howard.....but NO!!!!!

Get Howard = get torched by every PG in the league, even every backup guy.
What are opposing centers doing to us....not much.

As for Howard "Owning" the league.......see "Wilt Chamberlain" How few titles.
Dwight will NEVER approach the dominance of Wilt....much less Shaq.

Get the PG, then I will talk about Howard
Finally someone that agrees with me!

Dwight Howard would be nice to have, but he isn't necessary. A PG that could initiate the offense could really help lighten the load for Kobe, and Chris Paul will arguably have a bigger impact than Dwight. And if CP3 can turn Aaron Grey into a worthy player, then what could he do with Bynum? Bynum's game is still raw, but he isn't that far away from becoming a dominant post player. Bynum has all he needs to succeed, size.

I've seen Bynum and Dwight play head 2 head, it's not like Dwight is dominating him. Bynum actually does a decent job on him, when he puts his arms out, he makes Dwight look small.

Quote:
In case these guys didn't hear you.......

POINT GUARD POINT GUARD POINT GUARD!!!!!!!

Seriously, that's all we should be talking about......fixing our worst position on offense and defense which is.....POINT GUARD!!!!!!
And thanks for that.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #35
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

You guys seen how it works out in Orlando, right?

Nobody else on Orlando is a great defender, J-Rich, Arenas, Turk can't do shit on D. They let opposing guards get by easily, and Howard racks up fouls trying to cover for everyone else, making Stan Van Gundy's blood pressure go sky high.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #36
ClutchBucketz
I hit open 5-footers

ClutchBucketz has no real reputation yet.

Would be nice, not sure how he'd like the amount of touches and sharing the limelight etc. but can certainly happen and wouldn't hurt the team defensively. Just have to hope the new CBA doesn't make it impossible to get him..
ClutchBucketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #37
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people

I used to be high on Dwight, but he really hasn't show much improvement in his game offensively and like DK said, the lakers desperately need a pg that can hold his own in the backcourt and let Kobe rest.

Here's my proposed trade scenario:

Lakers send Bynum, Blake, Brown and Character to the Hornets for Chris Paul, Jarett Jack and DJ Mbenga.

PG: Paul/Jack
SG: Kobe/Barnes
SF: Artest/Ebanks
PF: Odom/Smith
C: Gasol/Mbenga/Ratliff

Coaching staff: Brown/Kuester/Fisher/etc

All problems solved.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #38
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like the thought of Paul but I would always go for a big over a small when you consider age.

That said I think hornets would be more wiling to accept a trade from us than Orlando might.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #39
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
I used to be high on Dwight, but he really hasn't show much improvement in his game offensively and like DK said, the lakers desperately need a pg that can hold his own in the backcourt and let Kobe rest.

Here's my proposed trade scenario:

Lakers send Bynum, Blake, Brown and Character to the Hornets for Chris Paul, Jarett Jack and DJ Mbenga.

PG: Paul/Jack
SG: Kobe/Barnes
SF: Artest/Ebanks
PF: Odom/Smith
C: Gasol/Mbenga/Ratliff

Coaching staff: Brown/Kuester/Fisher/etc

All problems solved.

Retiring DFish to the coaching staff U made my day

I'd be much more inclined to trade Odom in that scenario than Bynum.
That keeps out starting unit intact except at PG where we need Paul.
There are definitely ways to tweak the deal to make everyone happy.
Lakers could also give up draft picks. We may also have the $5mil trade exception.

Odom has so much going on in his personal life, I suspect he'll retire within at least 2 years......he said he almost retired before, we have to be aware of this.

Last edited by DKLaker : 08-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #40
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

Off topic slightly, but I think the Lakers need a "hustle" big man. Someone who just goes out there to put in work, no matter what it is; box out, bang, hard foul; etc.

The Lakers bigs are so talented, I feel like they skate on their talent sometimes. I would like a Maxiel, Paul Milsap type dude just to rough some dudes up. Caracter doesn't seem to have that mentality either, he's mad talented, just a little rough around the edges.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #41
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
Off topic slightly, but I think the Lakers need a "hustle" big man. Someone who just goes out there to put in work, no matter what it is; box out, bang, hard foul; etc.

The Lakers bigs are so talented, I feel like they skate on their talent sometimes. I would like a Maxiel, Paul Milsap type dude just to rough some dudes up. Caracter doesn't seem to have that mentality either, he's mad talented, just a little rough around the edges.

Reggie Evans? Although I dont like his ball grabbin tactics
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #42
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas

Perfect fit IMO

Kind of guy this team has been missing for years.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #43
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

It's a true statement we need a PG first and I would take an elite PG before Dwight Howard.

I personally would go after Deron Williams if at all possible. Boys and Girls thanks for sharing get conversation on the thread it really open my eyes.

Go Lakers.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #44
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas

his coach did tell him to go after the ball

I agree that pg is most important, and DWill would be ideal (he is my fav pg in the game right now), maybe even a Devin Harris who is a little cheaper and with less responsibilities on offense he can get back to focusing on defense. I really like George Hill, and now that he's in Indy he might be easier to get than with SA.

Sadly, I think the Lakers are going to have to find a gem somewhere, either via trade or an overseas cat with game.

Who knows, maybe ATL moves Hinrich? He didn't get to flex in the playoffs because of injury, but with their own young pg Teague making strides in the playoffs and the Jamal Crawford potential re-signing he might be expendable. He's been on the Lakers fans wish list for years.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #45
Heat1011
I hit open layups

Heat1011 has an OK reputation so far

Give it up people. This Laker team is finished.... You guys ain't getting Dwight or CP. Kobe can't do jack shit, as he as nobody's nut sack to ride on.

End of an era! :Applause
Heat1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: