Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this board
Default Which Top Players have the Best Bball IQ? Worst?

I think it's kind of hard to be a top 20ish player and have a bad bball IQ. Even if you're talented, you need to understand the mismatches you present and how to use your talents effectively in order to be a good/great player. Otherwise you could just be another Anthony Randolph or Andray Blatche.

Here's my opinion of the top 20 or so players' bball IQs

Lebron--high IQ. Strengths: court vision, help defense, passing, protecting the ball (may have more to do with his size). Weaknesses: knowing what to do in the post, playing off ball, using his first step effectively

Dirk--very high IQ. Strengths: using the mismatches he provides effectively with and without the ball (amazing in the PnP), passing out of double teams and reading doubles, team defense. Weaknesses: sometimes makes bad passes when he's surprised with doubles, hard to think of anything else considering pretty much no shot is a bad shot for him

Wade--high IQ/very high IQ. Strengths: drawing fouls, using countermoves (ie: the Eurostep), slicing through defenses, passing, help defense. Weaknesses: playing off ball, man defense can be shaky at times.

Dwight--mixed (high IQ on defense, low IQ on offense). Strengths: altering shots, using his girth, help defense. Weaknesses: passing, passing, and passing, his post game is very robotic, he does not have many countermoves

CP3--very high IQ. Strengths: court vision, passing, protecting the ball, drawing fouls, gets away with pushing off with his off hand just about every time, craftiness, getting steals (picks pockets and plays the passing lanes), setting up the offense, controlling the tempo. Weaknesses: sometimes not aggressive enough, sometimes he gets flustered by doubles off the PnR

Kobe--very high IQ. Strengths: reading defenses, providing diverse looks for the defense to cover, passing (when he feels like it), very good technical defender when he feels like it, he pretty much understands the game as well as you possibly can and can provide whatever a team needs when it needs it Weaknesses: Kobe mode

Rose--midding IQ. Strengths: applying pressure to the defense, passing after collapsing the defense, finding space to the rim. Weaknesses: passing--particularly in the PnR, handling doubles, shot selection, not great at positioning himself on defense

Durant--middling/high IQ. Strengths: drawing fouls, passing off the drive, taking advantage of lanes to dribble, great at catch and shoot, provides good help D at times. Weaknesses: has issues setting and using screens, can be too passive when he's taken off his spots, shot selection, pretty much no facilitating abilities

Carmelo--high IQ. Strengths: sound fundamental game both on and off ball, demands his spots, underrated passer and court vision, good man defender at times, has gotten better at making quick decisions rather than pounding the ball. Weaknesses: lazy help defender, shot selection, sticky fingers at times, bad at drawing fouls, picks up stupid fouls because of his "handsy" defense

Deron--high IQ/very high IQ. Strengths: craftiness, passing, picking his spots and scoring efficiently, great at playing off the ball for a point guard. Weaknesses: when he goes outside the system he can be reckless and force passes and break up plays making him too turnover prone, he's just not quite at the level of Paul and Nash.

Amar'e--mixed (pitiful IQ on defense, highish on offense). Strengths: probably best PnR big in the game (not just because of talent, knows how to abuse the defense), playing off ball, playing from the triple threat (good pump fakes and jab steps), drawing fouls. Weaknesses: anything having to do with defense other than weakside blocks and pulling the chair, when he goes into iso mode he pretty much ignores the cutters and never passes

Westbrook--low/middling IQ. Strengths: drawing fouls, putting pressure on the defense, defense, Weaknesses: passing, running the offense, shot selection. It's tough for me to judge him because I think a lot of his failings can be attributed to the coach and the lack of an offensive system. It affects Durant too, but not as much as Westbrook.

Rondo--high IQ. Strengths: craftiness dribbling and finishing around the rim, passing, playing the passing lanes, playing coast to coast, setting up the offense, making quick decisions. Weaknesses: overpasses at times (I think because he doesn't want to get fouled), I think he goes left too much but maybe he doesn't do that anymore it doesn't really matter anyway because he's so quick

Zbo--middling/high IQ. Strengths: improved/more willing passer (has that sneaky behind-the-back pass now), patience in the low block, craftiness around the rim, demanding his spots, taking advantage of any space defenders give him. Weaknesses: I don't know if that jumper from the low block is as good as he thinks it is so maybe shot selection, his game is still kind of black holish because he doesn't really do anything without the ball other than try to get open, still a bad defender.

Nash--very high IQ. Strengths: putting pressure on the defense, passing (particularly in the PnR), craftiness getting to and finishing at the rim, controlling the tempo, making quick decisions off the PnR. Weaknesses: everything having to do with defense (but it's probably more a physicality issue than an IQ issues), sometimes gets too creative with his passes (but I think it's okay because he's just playing aggressive).

Eh, I'm bored now.

Bosh, Aldridge, and Blake are all middling/high I would say

Pierce and Ginobili are high

I'm probably missing some top 20ish players. Talk about them if you want
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
LeFraud James
THE KING GOT HIS RING

LeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Which Top Players have the Best Bball IQ? Worst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickswin
I think it's kind of hard to be a top 20ish player and have a bad bball IQ. Even if you're talented, you need to understand the mismatches you present and how to use your talents effectively in order to be a good/great player. Otherwise you could just be another Anthony Randolph or Andray Blatche.

Here's my opinion of the top 20 or so players' bball IQs

Lebron--high IQ. Strengths: court vision, help defense, passing, protecting the ball (may have more to do with his size). Weaknesses: knowing what to do in the post, playing off ball, using his first step effectively

Stopped reading here.

Seriously, how do you consider LeBron being a high IQ player?

I'm reading your justification for him, and none of the positives are indicative of a player having a high basketball IQ.
LeFraud James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFraud James
Stopped reading here.

Seriously, how do you consider LeBron being a high IQ player?

I'm reading your justification for him, and none of the positives are indicative of a player having a high basketball IQ.

Yeah me too, cause he's very high IQ.
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has not been impressing people

Highest - Manu

Lowest - Russell Westbrook and i don't think there is a close 2nd...
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Rysio
Local High School Star

Rysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputation

highest = nash
Rysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
DurandAlexander
I airball my layups

DurandAlexander has an OK reputation so far

Manu has a high IQ on both ends.

It's what keeps him a top SG even after his athleticism started declining.
DurandAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Phong
Decent college freshman

Phong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputation

Camping at the 3 point line, being totally passive and not taking advantage of a huge size mismatch are great signs of high basketball IQ.
Phong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phong
Camping at the 3 point line, being totally passive and not taking advantage of a huge size mismatch are great signs of high basketball IQ.
But shooting over triple teams and launching 30 ft bricks are?

SMH.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

Shane Battier is definitely top 5, but its not easily observable from a casual fan's point of view.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove

SMH.

This
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
LeFraud James
THE KING GOT HIS RING

LeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLeFraud James is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove

SMH.

Like it or not, Kobe has one of the highest basketball IQ's in the game right now.

I dare you to say otherwise.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Kobe--very high IQ. Strengths: reading defenses, providing diverse looks for the defense to cover, passing (when he feels like it), very good technical defender when he feels like it, he pretty much understands the game as well as you possibly can and can provide whatever a team needs when it needs it Weaknesses: Kobe mode

stopped reading and caring right there
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFraud James
So what is indicative of a high basketball IQ?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
LeFraud James
THE KING GOT HIS RING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
So what is indicative of a high basketball IQ?

I don't think I've ever explained before, but here goes nothing.

A basketball player that has a high basketball IQ must first of all be knowledgeable about the actual game of basketball.

They must be fundamentally sound.

Player's with a high IQ generally know what the opposition is going to be throwing at them.

They make the right plays. They know when to put pressure on the defense, and when to defer to teammates.

Players that do not rely on athleticism alone, but more so on their knowledge of the game.

Most importantly, they don't disappear when push comes to shove. They embrace being in the spotlight.

I guess that would be my interpretation of a player with a high basketball IQ.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

t

stopped reading there.
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: