Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation
Default What If OKC Thunders had taken a chance on the injured Tyson Chandler

What If OKC Thunders had taken a chance on the injured Tyson Chandler?

PG Russell Westbrook/Eric Maynor
SG Thabo/James Harden/Cook
SF Kevin Durant/Jeff Green(he would still be on the team)
PF Serge Ibaka/Nick Collison
C Tyson Chandler/Kristic

Do they win the title?
8BeastlyXOIAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What If OKC Thunders had taken a chance on the injured Tyson Chandler

There are to many variables to think of situations like this.

IRC Chandler was traded to Charlotte that coming summer and he pretty much missed half the season and barely played while there (nagging injuries), that allowed him to finally heal up a lot of his injuries so that by this season he was perfectly healthy... in OKC they would've wanted him to play a lot and he probably doesn't get healthy. Also, OKC wouldn't have instituted a zone as much as Dallas because they're already good at defense so that means he's not as needed. I may be wrong, but wasn't the trade Joe Smith and Kristic? So take Kristic off the depth chart.

There also a lot of other aspects, like would Ibaka still get as many minutes with Green on the team? Would Harden have had as much of a role offensively with Green still there?

This might be completely wrong, but wasn't OKC able to trade for Maynor because they had cap space (to absorb him and Harpring from Utah)? With Chandler I'm pretty they don't have that cap space.

Too many times do these theoretical situations not account for all the little details that add up. It's not as simple as just replacing Perkins with Chandler while keeping Kristic and Green (while even then, it's hard to tell).
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
verylegit
functioning alcoholic

verylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation hereverylegit has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What If OKC Thunders had taken a chance on the injured Tyson Chandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
What If OKC Thunders had taken a chance on the injured Tyson Chandler?

PG Russell Westbrook/Eric Maynor
SG Thabo/James Harden/Cook
SF Kevin Durant/Jeff Green(he would still be on the team)
PF Serge Ibaka/Nick Collison
C Tyson Chandler/Kristic

Do they win the title?
they are never going to win without a legitimate big. ibaka and collison aren't consistent enough to fill the starting position. if okc ever wants to compete they need a 20/10 guy. tyson would have made a very nice addition though, he's very athletic...would fit right in with the rest of the team.
verylegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
G-train
5-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by verylegit
they are never going to win without a legitimate big. ibaka and collison aren't consistent enough to fill the starting position. if okc ever wants to compete they need a 20/10 guy. tyson would have made a very nice addition though, he's very athletic...would fit right in with the rest of the team.

Cant see why they need a legit 20/10 guy. They just needed to get Westbrook playing like a PG and they would have made finals this year.
OKC need to sack the coach and bring in a hard man to make their talent play how they should and they will be western conf champions for 5 years.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
GiveItToBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Cant see why they need a legit 20/10 guy. They just needed to get Westbrook playing like a PG and they would have made finals this year.
OKC need to sack the coach and bring in a hard man to make their talent play how they should and they will be western conf champions for 5 years.

I can see your point, but I feel like there really isn't anyone for Westbrook to really pass to. Durant, Harden, and Cook are the only guys who can really shoot. Ibaka's got a decent fifteen footer, but he's got such a poor offensive iq (the guy really can't pass) that you almost want to avoid it. I feel like they could really use either a sparkplug sixth man a la Ben Gordon back before he sucked or a highly skilled big man who can hit cutters and let Westbrook play off the ball a bit more. Brad Miller would actually make sense for them, crazy as that sounds.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Finals, for sho ...

Chandler is what put Dallas over the top.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Maybe

Is chandler that much better than a healthy Perkins? I'm not so sure. That said perk wasn't healthy so it's tough to compare.

I still think they need a sure fire big who can score down low to really win titles. Westbrook also needs to play the right way. They will get there with time. They don't need a certain 20 and 10 big but they need easy points on the Interior.

Maybe when free agents can be signed they will get somebody like that

Last edited by All Net : 08-06-2011 at 06:47 AM.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
G-train
5-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

I think Ibaka is a good source of 15-18 ppg if the point guard was unselfish.

Their offence was just whack. They were Westbrook stupidity from being NBA champions at a really young age, presuming Lebron didnt perform well again.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I think Ibaka is a good source of 15-18 ppg if the point guard was unselfish.

Their offence was just whack. They were Westbrook stupidity from being NBA champions at a really young age, presuming Lebron didnt perform well again.
You really think ibaka can be that good offensively? I really don't see him being capable of that but who knows I didnt think he would be as good as he is now.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
G-train
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
You really think ibaka can be that good offensively? I really don't see him being capable of that but who knows I didnt think he would be as good as he is now.

He dropped 10/8/2.5 blocks in 27 mpg last season, I expect about 14-15 ppg in 35 mpg this season. And i think OKC believe that too, based off the positive comments from staff and also the Green trade.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
G-train
5-time NBA All-Star

Again though it depends on westbrook
Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
He dropped 10/8/2.5 blocks in 27 mpg last season, I expect about 14-15 ppg in 35 mpg this season. And i think OKC believe that too, based off the positive comments from staff and also the Green trade.
Maybe but what a player does one year doesn't always mean he can develop his offensive game

Going from 11 a game to 15-17 is a big jump.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Again though it depends on westbrook
Westbrook is a quality player but I get the feeling he won't ever be happy as a number 2.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
G-train
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Maybe but what a player does one year doesn't always mean he can develop his offensive game

Going from 11 a game to 15-17 is a big jump.

I'd say normally thats a big jump. But he get very little opportunity. Durant/WEstbrook/Harden ball hog. If he got opportunity this season he probably could have averaged 15. He has a great mid range shot for a 4.
Good article about it: http://www.nbasportsdaily.com/nba-ba...-trade-ap.html.

If Westbrook averaged 18/10 (not a big task for a super talented PG on that team) they would be very difficult to defeat.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
I'd say normally thats a big jump. But he get very little opportunity. Durant/WEstbrook/Harden ball hog. If he got opportunity this season he probably could have averaged 15. He has a great mid range shot for a 4.
Good article about it: http://www.nbasportsdaily.com/nba-ba...-trade-ap.html.

If Westbrook averaged 18/10 (not a big task for a super talented PG on that team) they would be very difficult to defeat

You still need the skill and offensive talent to put up those numbers. I'm not totally sure he has it. That said he has improved every year and with hard work you can get better in those areas

I love watching the thunder and I hope as a basketball fan they live up to their talents. I fear that westbrook's selfish ways could hurt them if he doesn't realise it's durant's team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: