Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #1636
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2011 College Football Thread

I don't care about either team, I actually don't know if it was the right call, I base my understanding of it on what the announcers said and what i saw in the video, and I thought what they were saying was reasonable, not enough to overturn it for sure. but maybe they were missing something
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #1637
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
I don't care about either team, I actually don't know if it was the right call, I base my understanding of it on what the announcers said and what i saw in the video, and I thought what they were saying was reasonable, not enough to overturn it for sure. but maybe they were missing something
The announcer clearly wanted it to be a TD because it was such a great effort. Fortunately, plays aren't decided like that. Any reasonable football aficionado would conclude that the pass was incomplete... Either on the ball hitting the ground or the guy landing out of bounds.

I thought it was a relatively easy call, and the official backed that up by making his decision pretty damn quickly. I was shocked that it was called a TD on the field, because upon my initial look, it didn't even seem close to a catch. The replay showed it to be closer than I initially thought, but it still wasn't a catch.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #1638
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Michigan deserved the win. Period.

not really

they were gifted the win by idiotic decisions from Beamer

neither team played well enough to "deserve" the win.

as for the overturn, sorry but I think that was a bad call. They called it good on teh field and there really was no good visual evidence to overturn. His elbow hit inbounds first and you can never actually see the ball hit the ground. I would have gone with a "the ruling on the field stands" over a full on confirmation but I just did not see enough to overturn it.

Last edited by kentatm : 01-04-2012 at 12:09 AM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #1639
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
not really

they were gifted the win

neither team played well enough to "deserve" the win.

as for the overturn, sorry but I think that was a bad call. They called it good on teh field and there really was no good visual evidence to overturn. His elbow hit inbounds first and you can never actually see the ball hit the ground.
You could actually CLEARLY see the ball hit the ground. What the announcer was arguing was whether or not it moved when it hit the ground, but the tip clearly did make contact with the turf.

I don't see anything controversial about that call. I can't believe the guy called it a catch in the first place.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #1640
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I thought it was a relatively easy call, and the official backed that up by making his decision pretty damn quickly. I was shocked that it was called a TD on the field, because upon my initial look, it didn't even seem close to a catch. The replay showed it to be closer than I initially thought, but it still wasn't a catch.

Upon further review, I think the ruling on the field stands.
His hip and elbow are on the ground before he goes out of bounds and I think he's got the ball. Either way I don't see enough to overturn it.

Edit: upon rerereview, I am not sure, looks like the ground pushed the ball up but he had it under control and elbow down just before that. Still wouldn't overturn.

Anyways, impossible call. Makes me appreciate tennis where the rules are always completely unambiguous and once it goes to review there are absolutely no judgments to be made.

Last edited by yobore : 01-04-2012 at 12:49 AM.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #1641
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He didn't have actual possession until he's out of bounds, and the ball hit the ground.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #1642
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Great to read that there were over 12,000 empty seats for the joke of a game last night. First Sugar Bowl without a Top 10 team since 1945. Congratulations and thanks, BCSPN!

Attendance down across the board at bowl games:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...68758/1?csp=ip

Rose Bowl viewership was down. Fiesta up over last year (not surprising given the Oklahoma-UConn matchup a year ago, compared to #3 vs #4 and all the attention accompanying both Ok State and Andrew Luck), but down over historical ratings. Can't wait to see the anemic tv ratings for that crap last night.

Maybe the sheep are finally starting to figure it out.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #1643
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
"I will vote for LSU no matter what happens in the National Championship Game," wrote Erik Gee of KNML-AM in Albuquerque, N.M. "How in the world can they be the SEC West champ, the outright SEC champ, and lose to Alabama in a "neutral" site game (I guess you can debate the Superdome being a neutral site) after they have already beaten them in Tuscaloosa, have the series split 1-1 and not at least have a share of the national title?"

Joe Giglio of The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C., agreed.

"Unless Alabama absolutely dominates LSU and leaves no doubt that it is a superior football team, I will be voting for LSU," he said. "I am voting for the No. 1 team in the country for the 2011 season, not the result of one game. In the case of this rematch presented by the BCS, you have to consider the scope of the entire season, not the timing of one loss."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...cs-winner-no-1

So with the BCS system that is supposed to be the best system to crown a national champion they may end up with a team that LOSES their national championship game still getting a split of the crown. Although I'm not sure if this particular article is a statement on how lame the BCS is or how dumb sportswriters are. Probably both.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #1644
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

people may have pissed and moaned about the teams that got in but the actual BCS games this year have been really entertaining.

when my team isn't involved that is all I really care about at the end of the day

Last edited by kentatm : 01-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #1645
kentatm
NBA Legend

man, Clemson is killing themselves with turnovers now.

this was an even game until they started coughing it up
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #1646
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

63 points for West Virginia with more than half the third quarter left.

I can't remember the last time I saw a football team hit 80+ points.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #1647
kentatm
NBA Legend

so the ACC is now 2-13 in BCS bowls and yet its the Big East people always trash as the conference that needs to lose its AQ status.

hmm....
Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #1648
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
so the ACC is now 2-13 in BCS bowls and yet its the Big East people always trash as the conference that needs to lose its AQ status.

hmm....

ACC is now 0-4 vs Big East in bowl games.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #1649
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Two years in a row I'm going to miss most of Arkansas' bowl game. Still, one of the better bowl match-ups on paper in terms of rankings.

Kansas State's weaknesses defensively play into Arkansas' strengths offensively and vice-versa. Kansas State has a terrible passing defense and Arkansas struggles with run-first QB's. I don't have a great feeling about the game, either, because Arkansas' bowl history and record is pretty damn awful and Petrino's offense has proven to no do so hot after a lay-off.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #1650
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Penn State has reportedly hired Patriots Offensive Coordinator Bill O'Brien as their new Head coach.

link
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: