Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #1651
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: 2011 College Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...cs-winner-no-1

So with the BCS system that is supposed to be the best system to crown a national champion they may end up with a team that LOSES their national championship game still getting a split of the crown. Although I'm not sure if this particular article is a statement on how lame the BCS is or how dumb sportswriters are. Probably both.
I see nothing wrong with his reasoning.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #1652
sunsfan1357
Word.

There probably isn't much wrong with his reasoning so i probably overstated when I said how dumb sportswriters are, I guess it just further points out how screwed up the system itself is.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #1653
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Have no fear, those of you who enjoy a real football game between two deserving teams. You know, everything the BCSPN doesn't deliver.

Arkansas vs Kansas State in the Forgotten Bowl. Tonight. Free tv!

If you haven't seen QB Klein of KState, you're in for a treat. He's FUN to watch, and should have been included in Heisman discussion.

Arkansas is flat out good.

I'm excited. Haven't seen a college game since the Fiesta Bowl, and my season ends Sunday. Enjoy!
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #1654
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Have no fear, those of you who enjoy a real football game between two deserving teams. You know, everything the BCSPN doesn't deliver.

Arkansas vs Kansas State in the Forgotten Bowl. Tonight. Free tv!

If you haven't seen QB Klein of KState, you're in for a treat. He's FUN to watch, and should have been included in Heisman discussion.

Arkansas is flat out good.

I'm excited. Haven't seen a college game since the Fiesta Bowl, and my season ends Sunday. Enjoy!

I understand the game is on FOX and all, but there has been virtually zero coverage of the Cotton Bowl by ESPN. Two BCS bowl worthy teams (K-State got screwed and Arkansas got left out because of the stupid rule that one conference can't have three teams in a BCS bowl) ranked #6 and #8 in an SEC vs. Big XII match-up. You'd think the mothership would at least give the game more recognition than their bottom-line ticker.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #1655
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
You'd think the mothership would at least give the game more recognition than their bottom-line ticker.

They'll do all they can to detract from a real matchup given the crap they've been offering up.

The BCS and ESPN control college football for all the wrong reasons. And when the BCS is finally exposed for the criminal enterprise that it is, ESPN will turn their head, whistle, and pretend they know nothing about it. The Fiesta Bowl scandal barely got a peep on the Entertainment Sports Programming Network. They know not to bite the hand that feeds tham.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #1656
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
You'd think the mothership would at least give the game more recognition than their bottom-line ticker.

yea right

have you not noticed how they treat NHL now that they don't air it?
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #1657
KG215
NBA Legend

And an hour long College Football Live without even a mention of the game. It's almost like in their eyes and minds, the Cotton Bowl doesn't exist. A part of me feels that it's not just that the game is on FOX but because it also involves Arkansas and Kansas State. Neither program draws much national interest. If this was a game between someone like Oklahoma and LSU then I'm sure it'd be getting more recognition from ESPN.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #1658
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
And an hour long College Football Live without even a mention of the game. It's almost like in their eyes and minds, the Cotton Bowl doesn't exist. A part of me feels that it's not just that the game is on FOX but because it also involves Arkansas and Kansas State. Neither program draws much national interest. If this was a game between someone like Oklahoma and LSU then I'm sure it'd be getting more recognition from ESPN.
This is why I abstain from watching ESPN as much as I can, it gets too frustrating watching it when you're trying to get coverage of something that doesn't involve what agenda they're driving.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #1659
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
A part of me feels that it's not just that the game is on FOX but because it also involves Arkansas and Kansas State. Neither program draws much national interest.

No financial stake. No promotion.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #1660
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
This is why I abstain from watching ESPN as much as I can, it gets too frustrating watching it when you're trying to get coverage of something that doesn't involve what agenda they're driving.

Right, but it's #6 vs. #8 in probably - on paper - the third or fourth most appealing bowl game. And almost zero coverage of said game on gameday? It's not like there's another college football game today and the Alabama-LSU rematch is still three days away.

But, like you've said and JMT said, they have no financial stake in the game, so they aren't going to promote it, I guess.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #1661
sunsfan1357
Word.

If it makes you feel any better the game just got a 5 second mention on PTI. Wilbon said he didn't even know the game was being played and muttered that he's picking Arkansas

P.S. Anyone see the clip of Landon Collins committing to 'Bama? Mom totally ruins the moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4drWJwvVKE

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 01-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #1662
sunsfan1357
Word.

Arkansas up 13-0. K-State has missed some opportunities with dropped passes, overthrown passes, and a turnover but have done a good job not allowing any TDs on defense. They did let Arkansas run one back though. So far not a terribly entertaining game, but I'm hoping it picks up.

Just like that, K-State blocks the extra point on Arkansas' next TD and returns it for two points. Just scored a TD after a Razorback fumble and they get the ball after the half.

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 01-06-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #1663
KG215
NBA Legend

Missed the entire first half but I was really worried about this. For whatever reason Petrino's offense looks real out of sync and flat after lay-offs. Arkansas hasn't been good after BYE weeks under Petrino and in the two bowl games under Petrino the offense never really looked like itself.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #1664
sunsfan1357
Word.

There must be something to this chest pass strategy in the corporate throwing competitions to win scholarship money. They just showed highlights of two finalists doing it chest pass style.

Seems like Wilson has been missing some passes by throwing too high or wide. The receivers have gotten a couple but would have gotten more yardage had the ball been in a better spot. Just missed a TD too...and now he gets one on the next play.

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 01-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #1665
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
There must be something to this chest pass strategy in the corporate throwing competitions to win scholarship money. They just showed highlights of two finalists doing it chest pass style.

Seems like Wilson has been missing some passes by throwing too high or wide. The receivers have gotten a couple but would have gotten more yardage had the ball been in a better spot. Just missed a TD too...and now he gets one on the next play.

Yeah, reading the Arkansas message board, apparently Wilson wasn't very sharp in the first half. Wasn't his usual self. He looked a lot better on that drive. Of course we tried to leave the TD on the field twice.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: