Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #1771
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 2011 College Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Rumor floating around these parts now is that the girl showed up with Petrino's son at the lake and, when they were ready to leave, she asked Petrino if she could take a ride on his motorcycle. Still shady as shit but, if true, Petrino's wife knew about the bike ride and was apparently ok with it.

there is zero chance that story is true b/c if it was BP never would have concocted his moronic lie.

if they try to run with that they will get killed in the press and negative recruiting from other SEC coaches.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #1772
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
there is zero chance that story is true b/c if it was BP never would have concocted his moronic lie.

if they try to run with that they will get killed in the press and negative recruiting from other SEC coaches.

Time to take advantage of this and steal Ark's recruits.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #1773
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not saying it's true but there's not nearly enough information to jump to too many conclusions. I understand from outsider's view that what information has been released makes Petrino look like a complete scumbag and, to an extent, I think the same thing. But, try and put yourself in an Arkansas fans shoes. Your program hasn't been relevant in 30 years and you finally get this coach who comes in and goes from having a shit team and 5 wins in year one to 10 and 11 wins in years 3 and 4. All that has officially been released is Petrino apologizing to his family about a previous inappropriate relationship. I'm in the camp that that means he was having an affair but that hasn't been said. There's some saying that the relationship wasn't sexual at all but I have no idea who to believe when new "rumors" that people are trying to mask as 100% truth come out every few hours.

I ultimately don't really care what happens but if I had to choose I'd side with those saying he should be kept. He wouldn't be the first coach to get caught doing something this sleazy and keep his job. There's been coaches who have been caught in just as bad (or worse) of situations, kept their job, continued to win and, in the local and national eye, all was more or less forgotten in a few years. You didn't hear anyone say a thing about Rick Pitino this year during Louisville's Final Four run about what he did in 2009. Hell, Jim Boeheim and the Syracuse thing was more or less forgotten about by the end of the season. I think that's similar to what would probably happen here but riding out the storm for the next couple of years won't be easy.

I'm not condoning what Petrino, Pitino, or any other coach that has done something this despicable but it's not like Petrino is the first or worst that would have been caught and kept his job.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #1774
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
You didn't hear anyone say a thing about Rick Pitino this year during Louisville's Final Four run about what he did in 2009. Hell, Jim Boeheim and the Syracuse thing was more or less forgotten about by the end of the season. I think that's similar to what would probably happen here but riding out the storm for the next couple of years won't be easy.

I'm not condoning what Petrino, Pitino, or any other coach that has done something this despicable but it's not like Petrino is the first or worst that would have been caught and kept his job.

Pitino had an affair. It wasn't with an employee of the university that he personally hired.

Boeheim didn't do anything except for make an ill-advised statement.

Petrino lied to the police, his family and his employer. He violated state/school rules about inappropriate conduct with an underling. He basically hired a girl to screw on the university's dime and time.

Would you still be behind him if they won 6 games last year?
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #1775
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Pitino had an affair. It wasn't with an employee of the university that he personally hired.

Boeheim didn't do anything except for make an ill-advised statement.

Petrino lied to the police, his family and his employer. He violated state/school rules about inappropriate conduct with an underling. He basically hired a girl to screw on the university's dime and time.

Would you still be behind him if they won 6 games last year?

He didn't lie to the police that I'm aware of. I agree, Petrino allegedly hiring the girl so he could screw her looks, but I'm trying to remain calm before jumping to conclusions. For now, I'm naively going to wait until someone actually says or proves the relationship was sexual because there have been conflicting reports about the nature of the relationship. And I'm going to wait until someone can prove she was simply hired for Petrino to sleep with and not because she was qualified for the job.

Now, if non-Arkansas fans want to and do assume the absolute worse about him, then I understand. I'd be doing the same thing if this was Nick Saban, Les Miles, Dan Mullen, etc. As for if he had won just 6 games last year, of course I'd be much closer to wanting him to be fired, but I'm still not 100% sure I want him to be kept despite the combined 21 wins the last two years. However, the majority of Arkansas fans do want him to be kept more or less for that very reason. And if fans of other schools say they wouldn't want their coach to stay under the same circumstances, most of them would be lying. At the end of the day, after things boil over, all fans really want from their head-coaches is to win games. I'm not saying it's right but it is what it is.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #1776
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
He didn't lie to the police that I'm aware of. I agree, Petrino allegedly hiring the girl so he could screw her looks, but I'm trying to remain calm before jumping to conclusions. For now, I'm naively going to wait until someone actually says or proves the relationship was sexual because there have been conflicting reports about the nature of the relationship. And I'm going to wait until someone can prove she was simply hired for Petrino to sleep with and not because she was qualified for the job.

at least you are admitting you have stuck your head squarely in the sand.

he was banging her and he said as much when he lied to his boss about her even being there and then called it a "previous inappropriate relationship" during the presser.

I'm sorry but they were sleeping together and he hired her in part b/c of it. There is no question about it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #1777
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:

at least you are admitting you have stuck your head squarely in the sand.

he was banging her and he said as much when he lied to his boss about her even being there and then called it a "previous inappropriate relationship" during the presser.

I'm sorry but they were sleeping together and he hired her in part b/c of it. There is no question about it.

No I'm not. I've already basically said there's really no other way to see this. I'm 99.99% sure he was sleeping with Dorrell. I'm simply saying, as a fan, I'm blatantly and naively going to hold out slim hope the relationship wasn't sexual. I'm not so stupid that I honestly think he wasn't having sex with the girl.

This is bad, there's really no way to deny or surgarcoat the situation. As a Texas A&M fan who is also coming off a long stretch of mediocrity with a few solid seasons sprinkled in like Arkansas, try putting yourself in this situation. Say Sumlin comes in and, by year three, wins 10 games and takes A&M to the Sugar Bowl. Then say he follows that up with an 11 win season and another top 5 finish and gets busted for something similar in the following off-season. Would there be a large majority of A&M fans outright saying they want Sumlin fired? If Arkansas was a program on the level of the true elites then this wouldn't be an issue with most fans. However, most know that they will have a very hard time getting another coach of Petrino's caliber, and I think the BOT and big money boosters know this as well. That's why this is being made more difficult (on the inside) than it probably should be.

Bottomline, if Petrino is fired I will be fine with the decision and understand. If he's kept I will be fine with that decision, also, while struggling with truly being able to feel at peace about it.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-08-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #1778
kentatm
NBA Legend

yes, I do think there would be a ton of Aggies that would want him gone.

many of the ones I know still don't think Sherman should have been fired and would LOVE to wrap themselves in his integrity if Sumlin were to f-ck up like BP. I have talked to several people who say that if the team gets better it will be a fluke and that it will just Sumlin doing it with Sherman's players and momentum.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #1779
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Quote:
yes, I do think there would be a ton of Aggies that would want him gone.

many of the ones I know still don't think Sherman should have been fired and would LOVE to wrap themselves in his integrity if Sumlin were to f-ck up like BP. I have talked to several people who say that if the team gets better it will be a fluke and that it will just Sumlin doing it with Sherman's players and momentum.

What momentum? The momentum from 2010's season has already been lost. The 2011 season destroyed any momentum there was.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #1780
KG215
NBA Legend

It's funny seeing how rabid so many fans (message board fans) are in their support for Petrino and, to be honest, a little embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, getting him back is probably what I want deep down, but I'm not about to go to some the lengths others are going. Hell, they're having a rally tomorrow night somewhere on campus tomorrow night to show their support for Petrino.

It's really hard to explain to people just how fanatical Arkansas fans truly are unless you've lived in the state for some time. I think outsiders can understand Nebraska and their fans because Nebraska is a lot more historically significant and relevant than Arkansas but, in most Arkansas fans minds, they don't see it that way and the fanaticism does rival that of Nebraskans. And it's state wide. Arkansas State is virtually nonexistent outside of Jonesboro and obviously there's not any pro sports teams in the state. I mean this is the same fan base that pooled money together to fly "Fire Nutt" banners over the stadium during Houston Nutt's last year.

I basically say all of that to say that, while it may seem stupid and crazy to "outsiders" that a lot of Arkansas fans want Petrino back, it would be more shocking to me if we had a majority wanting him fired. I've never been a diehard Razorback fan. On top of my dad and his family having North Carolina ties, Arkansas was more or less irrelevant in everything when I was growing up. So the opinions I'm voicing are pretty mild in comparison to what a lot of Arkansas fans are saying.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #1781
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
It's funny seeing how rabid so many fans (message board fans) are in their support for Petrino and, to be honest, a little embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, getting him back is probably what I want deep down, but I'm not about to go to some the lengths others are going. Hell, they're having a rally tomorrow night somewhere on campus tomorrow night to show their support for Petrino.

It's really hard to explain to people just how fanatical Arkansas fans truly are unless you've lived in the state for some time. I think outsiders can understand Nebraska and their fans because Nebraska is a lot more historically significant and relevant than Arkansas but, in most Arkansas fans minds, they don't see it that way and the fanaticism does rival that of Nebraskans. And it's state wide. Arkansas State is virtually nonexistent outside of Jonesboro and obviously there's not any pro sports teams in the state. I mean this is the same fan base that pooled money together to fly "Fire Nutt" banners over the stadium during Houston Nutt's last year.

I basically say all of that to say that, while it may seem stupid and crazy to "outsiders" that a lot of Arkansas fans want Petrino back, it would be more shocking to me if we had a majority wanting him fired. I've never been a diehard Razorback fan. On top of my dad and his family having North Carolina ties, Arkansas was more or less irrelevant in everything when I was growing up. So the opinions I'm voicing are pretty mild in comparison to what a lot of Arkansas fans are saying.

You could basically say the same for other Southern schools like Clemson, South Carolina, Mississippi State, etc. Those schools haven't had the sustained success that the Florida's and Alabama's have had so when something special (like Petrino's brief stay) comes they don't want to let go. I guarantee that if Spurrier was caught up in this kind of mess SC fans would have the same kind of irrational, us-against-the-world type mentality.

I lived in SEC country for more than 10 years. Being a head football (or basketball in the case of Kentucky) coach at one of those schools is almost like being the governer of an entire state.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #1782
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
You could basically say the same for other Southern schools like Clemson, South Carolina, Mississippi State, etc. Those schools haven't had the sustained success that the Florida's and Alabama's have had so when something special (like Petrino's brief stay) comes they don't want to let go. I guarantee that if Spurrier was caught up in this kind of mess SC fans would have the same kind of irrational, us-against-the-world type mentality.

I lived in SEC country for more than 10 years. Being a head football (or basketball in the case of Kentucky) coach at one of those schools is almost like being the governer of an entire state.

I agree, but one thing that separates Arkansas a little bit is that there isn't another school in the state splitting fans. I'd say the state, at the very least, is 95/5 Arkansas fans to Arkansas State fans, if not higher. And of that 5% that are Arkansas State fans, probably half are either Arkansas fans first or split their loyalties between both schools. I'm not saying that means Arkansas fans are necessarily more fanatical or irrational about the football program than other SEC fans but, in this case, it's virtually the entire state.

And interesting you specifically mention South Carolina because that was a topic of discussion around here a few days ago. Arkansas and South Carolina both are schools who tier two or three programs nationally who have shown they can flirt with tier one status from time to time. Basically, we aren't on the same level as Mississippi State Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky in the SEC, but we're not on the same level as Alabama, Florida, LSU, or Georgia either. And, like Arkansas, South Carolina has a recognizable and successful coach, and their fans know that's about as good as they can do coach-wise. If this happened to them with Spurrier being involved, I'd expect the majority of their fans to have the irrational "us against the world" mentality you mentioned.

thing is, if something like this happened at LSU with Saban, or LSU with Miles, then their fans would probably be acting out in manner similar to what you're seeing from Arkansas fans right now, even though both schools could get an elite coach to replace what they currently have. And, if the roles were reversed and this was a different SEC school, Arkansas fans would be sitting back making fun at whoever while also saying how pathetic and ridiculous it would be if the school didn't fire their coach. And that's why I have no problem with other fans making fun of us and saying Petrino should, without a doubt, be fired.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #1783
KG215
NBA Legend

Also, there's been several reliable "insiders" on Hogville (Arkansas message board) who are saying they're hearing Petrino won't be fired but will be pretty harshly punished. Of course there's been one or two other "insiders" who have said they're hearing he will be fired. Figuring out which ones to believe is the hard part. One thing that has been consistent in the stories from people on both sides is that the ultimate decision is probably going to lie in the hands of the Board of Trustees.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #1784
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

My school never wins sh!t and barring some incredible confluence of events is unlikely to ever win. I attended the university and was part of the athletic department. Worked in the scouting department for a couple years and continue to actively support and raise money for the school.

If winning with a scumbag was ever shown to be more important than simply existing with a quality guy at the helm, all my ties would be severed.

Don't care how much you love sports, or how much/why you think your particular geography is more prone to fanatacism. If the lesson imparted by your state's institution of higher learning is that 11 wins trumps all, then you deserve what eventually befalls you. There's no honor among thieves and once you've thrown your lot in with them, you've become one too.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #1785
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Don't care how much you love sports, or how much/why you think your particular geography is more prone to fanatacism. If the lesson imparted by your state's institution of higher learning is that 11 wins trumps all, then you deserve what eventually befalls you. There's no honor among thieves and once you've thrown your lot in with them, you've become one too.

Sounds noble and all, but that's not how the SEC works. If Arkansas fires Petrino they could potentially fall back into Mississippi/Vanderbilt territory. Their AD would be fired within 2 years when the wins go down.

College athletics (at the higher levels for football/basketball) are basically pro leagues with lowly-paid "student-athletes" that do the servant work. Billion-dollar TV deals, 8 figure annual paychecks to schools for just being in a conference, coaches getting paid 3/4 million a year while his starting LB can't even afford a nice pair of sneakers without the help of "others". And those booster "contributions" dry up real fast when the team sucks.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: