Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #766
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2011 College Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
They beat who they play.

When given the chance to play in bowl games vs AQ opponents they've more than held their own.

They've consistently finished in the Top 5-10 in the country.

It just baffles me how, watching two teams that can't throw the ball at all, you can say they're so unquestionably better that a team with Boise's resume doesn't deserve a shot if they run the table.

Because Boise's best win has been Georgia (who yes, will probably win the East) but other than that who have they played?

LSU and Alabama aren't built to throw the ball, they don't have the personnel to do so because that's how they're designed. They beat you up on defense and run the ball down your throat on offense. Unfortunately, tonight, they had to play each other, and their offense's weaknesses played right into the defense's strengths. Both teams have big, fast, and physical front-sevens that are very good against the run.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #767
DuMa
Canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Yet, the SEC with the same formula (average to bad offense but great defense) has won the last five national championships, and have done so by getting in and beating a "juggernaut" offense from another conference.

that may be but its still a terrible game to watch 2 SEC juggernauts go at it. i cringe every year. FG battles do not make for epic game.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #768
northwinds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Yes, they should. Why are SEC fans so scared of a big game vs Boise? If it's such a mismatch, it'll only happen once. Your team will crush them and they'll never enter the conversation again.

The Make Believe Title is a joke anyway. Anyone that truly supports a playoff has to acknowledge that; otherwise, why have a playoff if the current system works?

Because all the SEC fans watched the first game of the season in which Boise State dominated Georgia....the probable SEC East champion at this point......and don't want to talk about what you just said....
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #769
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Offenses may be a joke, but you can't tell me you think there's honestly two better defenses in the country can you?

Great. Except we've also seen that neither team can play offense.

I don't claim to know that Boise is better. That's your territory, claiming to know who's better without seeing them play. But I sure dodn't see anything tonight that makes me think the loser of that game deserves a rematch over an undefeated team.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #770
irondarts

Quote:
Yet, the SEC with the same formula (average to bad offense but great defense) has won the last five national championships, and have done so by getting in and beating a "juggernaut" offense from another conference.

Also, LSU and Alabamas offenses aren't terrible, Richardson is the best RB in the country and Jarrett Lee was playing pretty well this year, certainly not an incompetent D1 QB as JMT called him, it's just that both defenses are so dominant they made the offense look like division II offenses.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #771
irondarts

Also, I have nothing against Boise, in fact, I'd love to see Boise get their chance at a NC, it would be fun to watch, it won't happen because the system is ridiculous, but LSU-Boise would be great, IMO.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #772
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

When you have an engraved invitation to the game, your chances of winning increase exponentially. You've only got to beat one team, which in many cases has come from the annually overrated Big 10.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #773
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

Also, LSU and Alabamas offenses aren't terrible, Richardson is the best RB in the country and Jarrett Lee was playing pretty well this year, certainly not an incompetent D1 QB as JMT called him, it's just that both defenses are so dominant they made the offense look like division II offenses.

That's the way SEC fans spin it.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #774
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

The big ten is a joke.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #775
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Because Boise's best win has been Georgia (who yes, will probably win the East) but other than that who have they played?

LSU and Alabama aren't built to throw the ball, they don't have the personnel to do so because that's how they're designed. They beat you up on defense and run the ball down your throat on offense. Unfortunately, tonight, they had to play each other, and their offense's weaknesses played right into the defense's strengths. Both teams have big, fast, and physical front-sevens that are very good against the run.

Then, rather than guessing, opining and supposing that approach would beat a truly good offensive team in a big game, let's see it play out.

Again, the schedule argument is awfully thin given what Boise has done in it's opportunities against big time opponents.

Just seems to me SEC proponents are concerned about going up vs Boise in a big game. Diminishing their accomplishments is the standard dodge.

Last edited by JMT : 11-05-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #776
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Then, rather than guessing, opining and supposing that approach would beat a truly good offensive team in a big game, let's see it play out.

Again, the schedule argument is awfully thin given what Boise has done in it's opportunities against big time opponents.
I agree with you on this. Let's just make it happen, if they get dominated then the topic will be closed, if they win then they will prove they belonged the whole time.

Win-win situation, Would love to see it happen.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #777
northwinds
Banned

Quote:
Because Boise's best win has been Georgia (who yes, will probably win the East) but other than that who have they played? LSU and Alabama aren't built to throw the ball, they don't have the personnel to do so because that's how they're designed. They beat you up on defense and run the ball down your throat on offense. Unfortunately, tonight, they had to play each other, and their offense's weaknesses played right into the defense's strengths. Both teams have big, fast, and physical front-sevens that are very good against the run.

Georgia has played the "grueling SEC schedule....the best conference from top to bottom (TM)"...... ...You know, Miss State, New Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, etc.........and Boise State is certainly "built to throw the ball"....so bring it on....won't happen....cause the SEC is as scared to play Boise in the NC game as it is to go to Boise to play a game...
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #778
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Tomorrow's rankings should be very interesting
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #779
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
That's the way SEC fans spin it.

Those are the scores both teams put up before playing one another tonight.

If you can't see that the fact that they were playing counter the other best defense in the land (1 and 2 easily this year), then idk what to say. 12th and 13th in PPG in the nation.

These offenses are not horrible. They look pedestrian against those elite, and I mean some of the best ever elite defenses.

I though Boise could take the power schools a couple years back. I do not think they can take them now.

Trust me I am a big supporter of a playoff system, and I think the BCS is bunk. This is rare for me to say but: if it comes to it Bama should get another crack over Boise and other one loss teams. I do however believe that Standford has a good shot to run the table.

Lets be real honest, these are the two best teams right now, and it's a pretty wide margin. Both would beat all the other NC contenders. I wish we had a playoff system to show that, but that's not the system. Assuming they win out LSU will face either an undefeated power school or Bama again, right now I have a hard time seeing Boise get the nod.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #780
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds
Georgia has played the "grueling SEC schedule....the best conference from top to bottom (TM)"...... ...You know, Miss State, New Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, etc.........and Boise State is certainly "built to throw the ball"....so bring it on....won't happen....cause the SEC is as scared to play Boise in the NC game as it is to go to Boise to play a game...

Wait a second....did you just copy and paste one of your posts from earlier in this thread? I think so....GOOD ONE!!
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: