Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #781
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2011 College Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
When you have an engraved invitation to the game, your chances of winning increase exponentially. You've only got to beat one team, which in many cases has come from the annually overrated Big 10.

I'm not going to aruge the "engraved invitation" argument because it's pointless. The fact is, the SEC has gotten to and won the last five national championships and, most of the time, have beaten a team most felt was the other best or second best team in the nation.

2007: Florida humiliates favored and #1 Ohio State 41-14.

2008: A two loss LSU team probably didn't deserve to go (that was a very wacky season with maybe the wackiest finish in my lifetime) but they still beat Ohio State, who again, was favored and ranked #1.

2009: Hard to say because McCoy was knocked out of the game so early, but that was a VERY good Alabama defense.

2010: Oklahoma came in with the highest scoring offense in college football history, played a legit Florida defense, and was held to 14 points despite having scored 60+ points in each of their previous five games.

2011: I'm not claiming Auburn's defense was good, because I spent most of last year thinking it was pretty mediocre. I felt they had a very good defensive line, a solid group of linebackers, and a really bad secondary. They still held Oregon and their high-flying offense to 19 points.

So, that's two years against the same Big 10 team (2/5 against the same team does not equal "may cases") and three other years they've beaten non-Big 10 teams that came into the game with offenses that were being labeled "prolific". In the three non-Ohio State games those offense have combined to score 18 points per game. And if you want to go back to 2003, LSU beat Oklahoma 21-14, and I'm pretty sure Oklahoma was supposed to have a what most considered a prolific offense that year.

Last edited by KG215 : 11-06-2011 at 12:11 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #782
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I just don't see why Alabama deserves a shot back in the game unless everyone else loses when they screwed it up at home with no offense?

I hope Arkansas beats LSU, but LSU IS easily the best team in the country.

Last edited by UtahJazzFan88 : 11-06-2011 at 12:22 AM.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #783
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
I just don't see why Alabama deserves a shot back in the game unless everyone else loses when they screwed it up at home with no offense?

I hope Arkansas beats LSU, but LSU IS easily the best team in the country.

I wasn't ever saying that. I was saying LSU MIGHT deserve another shot because they would've lost a close one on the road.

And I don't think LSU is easily the best team in the country. Watching the game I still feel Alabama is better than LSU. They were out-gaining LSU pretty comfortably a majority of the game. I think they also missed something like four FG's in the first half. Make just one of those and they win in regulation. Is LSU the best team in the country? Maybe and probably so, but they aren't "easily" the best team in the country.

No one expected this to be a blowout if Alabama won. Their style of play doesn't lend itself to blowouts against a team almost identical to themselves on defense.

I feel like Alabama and LSU could play 10 times this year and split 5-5. I might even give Alabama a slight 6-4 nod.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #784
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wasn't even talking to you directly.

Sorry, don't see any reason why they should get a rematch if there's another undefeated team in it's way (Houston doesn't count either, they haven't built the resume like what Boise State has), I don't even think the fans would want it either aside from the SEC biased homers.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #785
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bama shouldn't get a title shot as long as there is another undefeated team (including Boise). I get they play a great schedule but at the end of the day it should be about wins and loses, which is the only objective and fair way to do it imo.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #786
Jameerthefear
Thanks Jameer! (04-14)

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds
Georgia has played the "grueling SEC schedule....the best conference from top to bottom (TM)"...... ...You know, Miss State, New Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, etc.........and Boise State is certainly "built to throw the ball"....so bring it on....won't happen....cause the SEC is as scared to play Boise in the NC game as it is to go to Boise to play a game...
Lol.
The SEC isn't afraid to play any team out of the SEC. LSU and Alabama would eat Boise for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Who is the best team Boise played again? Georgia
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #787
northwinds
Banned

northwinds has a bad reputationnorthwinds has a bad reputationnorthwinds has a bad reputationnorthwinds has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
Lol.
The SEC isn't afraid to play any team out of the SEC. LSU and Alabama would eat Boise for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Who is the best team Boise played again? Georgia

Yep, that's what I heard over and over again from SEC fans before September 3rd when Boise came to the Georgia Dome and dominated Georgia......."gonna eat Boise for breakfast", "they play a high school schedule", and my favorite "not nearly as athletic and fast".... Well, those non-athletes ate Georgia for breakfast, lunch and diner. Its really funny how the SECers arguments have changed after that game. Before Boise dominated Georgia it was always "the SEC is so deep, top to bottom, and a one hit wonder team like Boise couldn't play a grueling SEC schedule (TM) week after week". Ever since Boise beat Georgia the new mantra for SECers is that the conference is really bifurcated....you have the top tier teams (LSU and Alabama) and then everybody else.....so that the Boise win against Georgia is somehow now irrelevant.....too funny....
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #788
northwinds
Banned

northwinds has a bad reputationnorthwinds has a bad reputationnorthwinds has a bad reputationnorthwinds has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Wait a second....did you just copy and paste one of your posts from earlier in this thread? I think so....GOOD ONE!!

Yep, and I would never recognize your "the SEC is the best because I said so" posts without your avatar......
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #789
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
If you can't see that the fact that they were playing counter the other best defense in the land (1 and 2 easily this year), then idk what to say. 12th and 13th in PPG in the nation.

These offenses are not horrible. They look pedestrian against those elite, and I mean some of the best ever elite defenses.

I though Boise could take the power schools a couple years back. I do not think they can take them now.

Trust me I am a big supporter of a playoff system, and I think the BCS is bunk. This is rare for me to say but: if it comes to it Bama should get another crack over Boise and other one loss teams. I do however believe that Standford has a good shot to run the table.

Lets be real honest, these are the two best teams right now, and it's a pretty wide margin. Both would beat all the other NC contenders. I wish we had a playoff system to show that, but that's not the system. Assuming they win out LSU will face either an undefeated power school or Bama again, right now I have a hard time seeing Boise get the nod.

The rest of their competition...this year, which is all that matters...is very pedestrian. LSU and Bama may very well be the best two in the country, but beating t5he likes of the rerst of the SEC this year does nothing to prove that point. Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Miss St, So Carolina...one and all...are no better than dozens of other teams I've seen play. They're certainly not better than Boise; that's been established on the field.

So, when given the chance to play each other, what we saw were :

Two teams without a QB who could hit a wide open receiver. That's not defense.

Two defenses that were able to dominate teams that posed no threat in the passing game.

So, instead of rehashing the same thing (especially when the home team was the loser and proved it can't throw the ball or kick the ball), why not see if they have the same success vs a team that has an eveolved, modern offensive approach?

It's a belabored point, but if you guys are so good at spotting the best teams, you're wasting your time here. Go make a million in Vegas.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #790
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Bama shouldn't get a title shot as long as there is another undefeated team (including Boise). I get they play a great schedule but at the end of the day it should be about wins and loses, which is the only objective and fair way to do it imo.

We already know that Boise will fall behind Stanford or Oklahoma State if they stay undefeated, and that Houston will stay behind Boise. But there is no fair and objective reason that a team with a loss should jump an undefeated that in the Top 5-6 in the national rankings.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #791
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT

We already know that Boise will fall behind Stanford or Oklahoma State if they stay undefeated, and that Houston will stay behind Boise. But there is no fair and objective reason that a team with a loss should jump an undefeated that in the Top 5-6 in the national rankings.

I'd actually love to see a Stanford/OK State national championship game. I'd like to see Boise get a shot at the title but I can't see them jumping ahead of LSU, Stanford, or OK State without a truly marquee W like those 3 would have if they go undefeated.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #792
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I'd actually love to see a Stanford/OK State national championship game. I'd like to see Boise get a shot at the title but I can't see them jumping ahead of LSU, Stanford, or OK State without a truly marquee W like those 3 would have if they go undefeated.

I'm more curious to see Ok State vs LSU. Best offense I've seen vs team folks say is the best defense.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #793
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Why do SEC fans have so much resentment towards the Big 0? Even when I was staying down south for a while all I heard was "big ten ain't shit", this and that.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #794
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
The rest of their competition...this year, which is all that matters...is very pedestrian. LSU and Bama may very well be the best two in the country, but beating t5he likes of the rerst of the SEC this year does nothing to prove that point. Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Miss St, So Carolina...one and all...are no better than dozens of other teams I've seen play. They're certainly not better than Boise; that's been established on the field.

What about the third SEC team in the top 10? Alabama has already beat them and LSU still has to play them? No, Arkansas isn't on LSU or Alabama's level but they are a legit to 10 team this year.

And Oregon was a pedestrian opponent for LSU earlier in the season?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #795
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
What about the third SEC team in the top 10? Alabama has already beat them and LSU still has to play them? No, Arkansas isn't on LSU or Alabama's level but they are a legit to 10 team this year.

And Oregon was a pedestrian opponent for LSU earlier in the season?

Arkansas is ok. I've seen them twice, including their big ooc win vs Tx A&M and haven't seen anything that separates them from the big group of teams in the middle. Not saying they don't deserve to be ranked (keeping in mind that I think the polls are worthless crap), but I feel perfectly comfortable in saying there's nothing about them that stands out vs 20-30 other teams in the country.

Oregon is a good win. I was referring more to their conference opponents in that particular post, but Oregon is a decent home win. Having seen Oregon, they can't defend any part of the field, but they are a potent offense. I'd probably say they were a little better than Arkansas on a neutral field.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: