Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #826
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2011 College Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Reports are saying Ole Miss has fired Houston Nutt.

He's just an awful coach. I got to experience the Houston Nutt ego driven roller-coaster for 10 years. The majority of the Arkansas fan base realized after about 4-5 years he wasn't going to cut it. It took Frank Broyles retiring (who was a huge Nutt backer) before we could get rid of him after 10 years.

It's actually really impressive that it took him just four years to completely sink the Ole Miss ship. I know they're Ole Miss, but he had back-to-back Cotton Bowl wins in his first two years, with Orgeron's players. He did the same thing at Arkansas. Took Danny Ford's players, had some really good success his first couple of years, and then leveled out into mediocrity most of the next seven or eight. It took two instate stud running backs in Darren McFadden and Peyton Hillis (both of whom would've played for Arkansas if Hitler was the coach) to save his butt for awhile.

He's a lazy recruiter, an extremely predictable play caller, beyond awful at developing a QB, and is quick to always point the finger and throw someone else under the bus after loss, but quick to take all the credit after a win. I highly doubt he's a head-coach at a big time D1 program ever again.

Last edited by KG215 : 11-07-2011 at 06:44 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #827
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Bama shouldn't get a title shot as long as there is another undefeated team (including Boise). I get they play a great schedule but at the end of the day it should be about wins and loses, which is the only objective and fair way to do it imo.

That's not really fair either. There's not really a fair way to do it without some sort of playoff system.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #828
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
That's not really fair either. There's not really a fair way to do it without some sort of playoff system.

It's the most fair (or is it fairest?) way to do it as far as I can tell. You win, you get in. I understand the SOS argument but I think its pretty weak to deny an undefeated team a title shot in favor of a one loss team who blew their chance.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #829
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
It's the most fair (or is it fairest?) way to do it as far as I can tell. You win, you get in. I understand the SOS argument but I think its pretty weak to deny an undefeated team a title shot in favor of a one loss team who blew their chance.

Especially when you're either dealing with an unbeaten from the PAC 10/12 and Big 12/10, or an unbeaten who started the season among the top rated teams in the country.

BTW, that's a great av.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #830
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

You have to take SOS into consideration. If you simply go by wins and losses, then you're encouraging teams to schedule very lightly OOC.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #831
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
You have to take SOS into consideration. If you simply go by wins and losses, then you're encouraging teams to schedule very lightly OOC.

Most major conference teams schedule lightly OOC already.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #832
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Alabama had their chance, they need go to go back into the front of the 1 loss line, that's how I see it. I'll give them the advantage of losing to LSU by being the highest 1 loss team. Houston shouldn't be considered until they build the resume of being unbeaten, which Boise State has done otherwise we wouldn't care if they were undefeated either.

Hopefully Georgia wins the SEC East, and somehow beats LSU in the SEC Championship Game, that's as likely as, oh, Boise State making the title game.

Last edited by UtahJazzFan88 : 11-07-2011 at 09:39 PM.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #833
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
Alabama had their chance, they need go to go back into the front of the 1 loss line, that's how I see it. I'll give them the advantage of losing to LSU by being the highest 1 loss team. Houston shouldn't be considered until they build the resume of being unbeaten, which Boise State has done otherwise we wouldn't care if they were undefeated either.

Hopefully Georgia wins the SEC East, and somehow beats LSU in the SEC Championship Game, that's as likely as, oh, Boise State making the title game.

I don't understand the Houston point. Could you expand on that?
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #834
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I pick-up a sports talk show out of Oklahoma City and they were actually having this discussion about TCU since they're coming to the Big 12. Obviously the Big 12 won't be as strong losing Texas A&M and Missouri, but the hosts (and the writer or whatever had on as a guest for that segment) agreed they think TCU will eventually become a 8-4 type team with the occasional 9-11 win season. I think they were basically saying the'd go back to being what they were when they were in the old Southwest Conference.
]

FYI TCU was usually competing for Rice for the honor of being the worst team in the SWC in its last 30 years. Of course, their admin didn't actually put any money into football back then either which is certainly not the case now.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #835
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

They haven't built the resume of winning BCS bowls and going undefeated like Boise State has, which is why Boise State deserves to be in a BCS game.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #836
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:

he is basically saying that Houston has no credibility built up while Boise does.

Houston has not gone to and won BCS bowls or played big name teams and beat them like Boise has over the years.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #837
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
FYI TCU was usually competing for Rice for the honor of being the worst team in the SWC in its last 30 years. Of course, their admin didn't actually put any money into football back then either which is certainly not the case now.

Ok, so they aren't going to be that bad, then. Their main point was they all thought TCU will probably become an Oklahoma State type team. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. I honestly think them going to the Big 12 will help a lot in recruiting and they should be able to recruit as long as Texas remains down.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #838
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
They haven't built the resume of winning BCS bowls and going undefeated like Boise State has, which is why Boise State deserves to be in a BCS game.

I see.

I can kinda understand that but for me it's about this year. Obviously Boise gets votes, and rightfully so, for having players and a program that has done well these past few years.

However I think if a team comes out and puts together a resume out of the blue, that matches or tops THAT YEAR'S resume from another team they shouldn't be counted out because of what they did, or didn't do previously.

If that makes sense. Obviously Houston doesn't have that resume this year but I mean in general. So I absolutely agree that they need to do more for that at large bid but I view it as they won't match Boise rather than they haven't matched them in the past.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #839
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Quote:
I see.

I can kinda understand that but for me it's about this year. Obviously Boise gets votes, and rightfully so, for having players and a program that has done well these past few years.

However I think if a team comes out and puts together a resume out of the blue, that matches or tops THAT YEAR'S resume from another team they shouldn't be counted out because of what they did, or didn't do previously.

If that makes sense. Obviously Houston doesn't have that resume this year but I mean in general. So I absolutely agree that they need to do more for that at large bid but I view it as they won't match Boise rather than they haven't matched them in the past.

Also, I meant in my post that their resume deserves to be in the BCS Title Game, I left out that. I agree with your statement, but Houston's schedule isn't enough to come out of the box as deserving of being in the game, their schedule is less impressive than Boise's. Although I hope Southern Miss and Tulsa keep winning games so Houston could maybe get up into the top 10 of the BCS polls and make it into the game, Case Keenum is a great QB. Houston has a better shot than initially I thought because they're 11th in the BCS with a few teams ahead of them having great chances of losing a game unless they beat LSU or other top teams.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #840
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

Boise deserves to be in a BCS game because of past seasons that have nothing to do with this season?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: