Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Black Magic
I usually hit open layups

Default Defense question

Ok so me and some friends were doing a little 3 on 3 game... we usually don't call fouls unless it is a clear foul etc... I had a question about defense... ok so I have the ball and am near the hoop, and my friend plays defense like right in my face almost toe to toe and I have to dribble on the side and I usually kinda run into him.. is this legal defense? I'm sure you need to be an arms length away but I'm not exactly sure?
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
mr beast
BEAST

Default Re: Defense question

if his feet were set and you run into him, it's an offensive foul on you

if he was shuffling his feet and bumped you from getting by him then it's a foul on him.

in general, if he is in front of you in a set position, then it's not a foul on him.

looks like he played good defense and cut you off so i wouldn't say it was a foul.
mr beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Black Magic
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beast
if his feet were set and you run into him, it's an offensive foul on you

if he was shuffling his feet and bumped you from getting by him then it's a foul on him.

in general, if he is in front of you in a set position, then it's not a foul on him.

looks like he played good defense and cut you off so i wouldn't say it was a foul.

so there is no rule on how close you are in front of someone? Like you could literally be right on th guy your defending's face?
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
N0Skillz
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
so there is no rule on how close you are in front of someone? Like you could literally be right on th guy your defending's face?
yes, just try kissing him and he will never do that shit again
N0Skillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
rush
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic

In Europe, there's a rule where the offensive player is allowed some space... imagine an invisible cylinder that you're in... the defender can't invade that space...

In America, the defender can body you up. If you're posting up and backing him down, he's allowed to place a forearm on your back. If you're out on the perimeter and facing the guy, he can't touch you with anything other than his chest... so it would be pretty dumb for him to get that close to a player, because he's begging to get crossed over. Since he's not allowing any space between you and him, he has zero time to react to your offense.

If he's using his hand to stop you from penetrating, or you're running into him and as a result, stumbling or getting knocked off balance, most likely it's a blocking foul.

Traditional basketball rules favor the offensive player. 90% of the times when there's contact, it's a foul on the defender. The only times the defender can call an offensive foul, is when his feet are planted and you mow him down Lebron-style, or you do something crazy like swing an elbow at him, etc.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: