Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board
Default Re: Valanciunas debut on national team.

energy.

this kid never runs out of it. he has such a high motor, it's rare to find that in a guy that size
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Wow I haven't been this excited about a raptors prospect since Chris midway his rookie campaign....

If you can't tell that this guy has all the tools to succeed and maybe even dominate at the NBA level, you don't know ball...

Can't wait to see him in a canadian red uniform
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

I watched him against team spain. He looked like Brook Lopez to me.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
I watched him against team spain. He looked like Brook Lopez to me.

If he comes into the league like Brook Lopez I'll be pleased.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
If he comes into the league like Brook Lopez I'll be pleased.
Lopez is a pretty crappy rebounder for his size/position but at his best (his 2nd season), he's a very good scorer and passable defensive player. If Ed Davis develops into what he's projected to be (a tougher more defensive player) then that would be a good combo at PF and C to go forward with.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Jonas Valanciunas is unlikely to play for the Raptors before the 12-13 NBA season, but is looking forward to living in Toronto.

“Toronto is an international city with a lot of Lithuanians,” said Valanciunas. “After the draft, a lot of Lithuanians wrote me on Facebook telling me that if I need any help, just get back at them. I’m really happy by the chance of playing in Toronto.”

Valanciunas was the fifth overall pick in the draft, but only recently began believing the NBA would be in his future during the early part of last season.

“(It was then) that I realized I could make it into the NBA,” Valanciunas said. “The scouts came to watch my games and spoke with me. That’s when I realized I could make it.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap... ixzz1VKTDvR9F
Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

where can we track the euro summer games?
I want val stats.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
where can we track the euro summer games?
I want val stats.

I'll probably keep a thread with stats/highlits of the Raptors players (Bargnani, Calderon, Valanciunas) during the tournament if no one else does :)
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
I'll probably keep a thread with stats/highlits of the Raptors players (Bargnani, Calderon, Valanciunas) during the tournament if no one else does :)
nice
get on it

hasn't there already been a few games?
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #25
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
nice
get on it

hasn't there already been a few games?

yup, I'm sure I can get some stats and highlights for those too, at least for Bargnani's ones.
If you guys are interested I could start a thread .
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #26
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
yup, I'm sure I can get some stats and highlights for those too, at least for Bargnani's ones.
If you guys are interested I could start a thread .

Honestly at this point I only come here for Blue Jays updates, so anything else to read while I'm here'd be great. Especially for Val since I haven't seen much of him before.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

I love what I'm hearing about Jonas. I don't want to get my hopes up though, just remain cautiously optimistic lol.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #28
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
I love what I'm hearing about Jonas. I don't want to get my hopes up though, just remain cautiously optimistic lol.

I hear ya. Any positive news that I hear from him is a huge positive for me. I love the way this guy plays. I don't wanna put any expectations on him or anything, but I am really excited to watch him this year and then eventually on the Raptors.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
Wat_Wat__
I airball my layups

Wat_Wat__ has an OK reputation so far

the kid's got great upside and potential, i'm excited we were able to snag him and with the looming lockout it makes for a great pick.

i just hope he doesnt turn into Andris Biedrins
Wat_Wat__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #30
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

He needs to get stronger and improve his conditioning, but he looks like he should fall somewhere in between a rich man's Yi Jianlian and a poor man's Pau Gasol. Hopefully less of a softy than either player.

The things I like about what I saw in the video:
- good b-ball IQ
- good skill level (full-court pass/drove past defender)
- good hands/nice inside touch
- long arms
- plays hard and with a little passion (unlike a certain someone else)
- looks like he has the frame to get stronger
- overall looks like he has a lot of potential

Things I didn't like:
- not a great leaper by NBA standards (makes up for it with super long arms)
- looks a little awkward/slow-footed (I question his one-on-one defensive ability at thw NBA level)
- saw very little in the way jump shots (not such a bad thing if he is at least capable of shooting)
- not great competition (no Czech players in NBA as far as I know, except Jan Vesely who might also be a stud by the way)

Overall, I think we may have a major steal on our hands, considering how weak this past draft was. With his size, length, good hands, good touch inside, and combination of bball IQ and character, he really looks like he might have the most potential of any prospect in this draft. As a bonus, there is a chance the other rookies won't even be playing this season, while Jonas will be playing a full season in Europe foe sure. By the time he arrives next season, he will be improved, and the Raptors will be better and more stable as well. As an extra bonus, Colangelo drafting a European center might mean he will finally at least try to move a certain other European "center".

Say what you want about Colangelo's overall incompetence as a GM, he has drafted well for three straight years.

Last edited by A.M.G. : 09-26-2011 at 03:46 AM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: