Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #76
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Philadelphia Eagles Fan Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Terrible excuse. So you neglect RT by saying "Hey we really couldnt upgrade the position. ". First why on EARTH would you bank on Ryan Harris who has had a history of injury issues? Denver didnt even care to give him a 1yr deal to retain him. Eagles always go after these injured players with these 1yr deals in hopes they play their ass off and its a win win for both sides. Win for player in contract year so he'll produce and Eagles will get a productive player out of it. Winston Justice? Turnstyle and his injury was and still is a ? mark. So thats 2 RTs with injury woes heading into the new season protecting Vick. King Dunlap is a backup. He was a project when he is drafted and still is.

Eagles always neglect positions that are needs until the last minute. We can go through the history. Who the hell was our CBs last season? Oh, after Asante Samuel you got Ellis Hobbs, Dmitri Patterson, Joselio Hansen. And guess what? Eagles gave up the MOST passing TDs in Eagles history (correct me if I'm wrong). What do Eagles do? Totally revamp and upgrade the secondary with DRC and Aso. Goodbye Hobbs, good luck Browns with Patterson. The year they decided to neglect special teams? Burnt them. Then they ended up addressing it. They are always a step behind on needs.

There are veteran LBs we should add for 1 yr. I guess they'll do it eventually then I'll ask why did you wait so long?

Doug Free, Jarad Gaither are 2 Tackles that were available. There were enough RTs to choose from. Eagles could have also signed a Guard and moved Herremans to RT. Willie Colon another option.

2011 draft had RTs to draft but they went OG Watkins.

Get out of here Dave Spadaro!!!!
We went after Doug Free:

Quote:
According to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, the Eagles were Dallas' chief competition for Doug Free in free agency.

Despite one report to the contrary, Lombardi says the Bucs were never in the Free sweepstakes. The Eagles saw a chance to weaken a division rival and wanted Free "badly" to play right tackle in Philly.

Expecting Willie Colon to leave Pittsburgh isn't realistic and Jarad Gaither got the vet minimum because he couldn't pass a physical. Jarad Gaither could have been our Ryan Harris.

Only other option is the draft but then we're sitting here 1) saying our RG sucks and 2) relying on a rookie to block Vick's blindside.

I have no problem here. Doug Free is the only one they could have went after who had a legit shot at leaving/would have made a difference but with the money he got...tough luck. The media sometimes makes it out like the Eagles can just get whoever they want. Why didn't they get (blank)! Or (blank)! He would've come here!
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #77
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
We went after Doug Free:

Expecting Willie Colon to leave Pittsburgh isn't realistic and Jarad Gaither got the vet minimum because he couldn't pass a physical. Jarad Gaither could have been our Ryan Harris..

Eagles only pursued Doug Free and it was at the last minute in an attempt to steal him from Dallas. Maybe they should have gone at him early and harder? There were Tackle options and they elected to go cheap with Ryan Harris and nothing else.

They were going to enter the NFL season with Ryan Harris, Dunlap and Justice as the RT. Thats weak. Admit it.

Quote:
Only other option is the draft but then we're sitting here 1) saying our RG sucks and 2) relying on a rookie to block Vick's blindside

Eagles could have drafted Gabe Camiri and signed an OG. Like Tackles there were plenty of guards to sign.

Why act like Eagles can only draft a RT and then go to the season with whatever they have at guard? They sure went out and addressed the trenches on the DL, but I'm to believe they couldnt with the OL? Nah.

Howard Mudd was brought in and Eagles were thinking we could get by with what we have because Mudd has a history of getting guys to overachieve.

Quote:
I have no problem here. Doug Free is the only one they could have went after who had a legit shot at leaving/would have made a difference but with the money he got...tough luck. The media sometimes makes it out like the Eagles can just get whoever they want. Why didn't they get (blank)! Or (blank)! He would've come here!

The Eagles can get in bidding wars with whoever they want. The right side of the line was among the needs here in Philly. Todd being moved was a suggestion put out there for awhile. Before the lockout, before last season. Its pretty stupid to wait til now to move the guy because they noticed how errored they're judgement was in addressing the Tackle position.

The Tackle free agent crop was limited as hell for LTs but very good value for RTs. There were also good guards which could have you explore the option of moving Herremans and signing his replacement.

Typical Eagles move man.

So what now at LB? We're fine there? I dont think so. But I would like to hear the Dave Spadaro spin from you.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #78
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

LB isn't a "value" position for us. Never has been and under this leadership it never will be. They value the secondary. You can reel off names like Aso, Asante, Dawkins, Mikell, Troy V, Bobby T, Al Harris, Lito, Sheldon Brown and then at LB we have....Trotter. They also value the D-Line with Cole, Douglas, Simon, Babin, spent a 1st on Graham, Darwin Walker, high picks on Patterson/Bunkley/McDougle.

It's a different approach from a team like Pitt or BAL who values their linebackers to no end yet naming their cornerbacks season to season is tougher.

I will say Jamar Chaney has the potential to be a stud. He's been beasting in preseason. Covered Peyton Hillis the other night in the passing game (including a sick breakup of a pass in the end zone) and he's been the most vocal guy in the LB crew as far as "proving themselves". Fastest 40 time of any '10 linebacker, maybe someone who can finally cover the TE.

Can't guess why guys wouldn't come here. Maybe Free didn't want a position change? Colon has won a super bowl(s) in Pitt and they're a great organization, why leave? You can reel off names but sometimes guys just don't want to leave a place they're comfortable.

The line is at least improved and I'm thankful. Our starting center from last year got cut yesterday.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #79
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I think you both have a good point.....

the Eagles have a very annoying habit of letting a problem hurt the whole team before they address it... they did it the year they didnt get a kick returner... they did it for years when it came to wideouts for McNabb.. they did it when they released Trotter and imo cost us a good shot at a super bowl... they are sort of doing it again with Linebackers and RT position

But since this has been a shortened time frame for them, I guess they get a pass here because in this situation they have tried a few things and they still dont have an answer... I think they moved Herremans a bit late and it could hurt us, but at they arent arrogant enough to risk the season by pretending it isnt an issue and starting Dunlap... I think they realize they cannot afford to play around this year... Istill wonder about Kelce and Casey Matthews... Casey is improving, but not fast enough that we wont get gashed by teams who will run the ball down our throats... Kelce? I dont know I guess Mudd sees what he is looking for but I dont see it yet and Mike Vick wont be under center for long with 2 rookies playing next to each other on that line...

Gobb has a point but so does state and I we have to wait and see if this bite us in the ass like some of their other moves/nonmoves have.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #80
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
LB isn't a "value" position for us. Never has been and under this leadership it never will be. They value the secondary. You can reel off names like Aso, Asante, Dawkins, Mikell, Troy V, Bobby T, Al Harris, Lito, Sheldon Brown and then at LB we have....Trotter. They also value the D-Line with Cole, Douglas, Simon, Babin, spent a 1st on Graham, Darwin Walker, high picks on Patterson/Bunkley/McDougle.

It's a different approach from a team like Pitt or BAL who values their linebackers to no end yet naming their cornerbacks season to season is tougher.

I will say Jamar Chaney has the potential to be a stud. He's been beasting in preseason. Covered Peyton Hillis the other night in the passing game (including a sick breakup of a pass in the end zone) and he's been the most vocal guy in the LB crew as far as "proving themselves". Fastest 40 time of any '10 linebacker, maybe someone who can finally cover the TE.

Can't guess why guys wouldn't come here. Maybe Free didn't want a position change? Colon has won a super bowl(s) in Pitt and they're a great organization, why leave? You can reel off names but sometimes guys just don't want to leave a place they're comfortable.

The line is at least improved and I'm thankful. Our starting center from last year got cut yesterday.

Jamar Chaney is the only LB I love right now. Fokou is ok, but the rest?

I dont like the fact the Eagles still dont value the LB spot. They need to change it up especially when you have a team capable of reaching the SB.

Hopefully this OL can gel overtime and heading into the playoffs I'm a happy camper with the look of it. Not impossible but I feel there was some better options to put on the field Week 1. And while they dont value the LB position highly I also feel they tend to overvalue their depth. Which I think is another reason they werent too active in free agency when it came to the OL.

Kelce has been named the starting center Week 1. I wonder how Jackson feels. Wasnt Kelce pick a result of the WR Reggie Brown trade?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #81
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Is Vick signing for 100 mill in here yet? Just saw the breaking news on ESPN
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #82
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

6yr $100mil? holy crap

Looks like $40mil guranteed.

Last edited by GOBB : 08-29-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #83
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Theoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Maclin, who had been sidelined by a persistent viral illness, said Saturday that he definitely plans to be ready for the Eagles’ regular season opener, Philadelphia Inquirer reports.
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #84
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Theoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Your new first-team right tackle is Todd Herremans.

Herremans found out on Friday that the Eagles were moving him from left guard, where he was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, to the protector of Michael Vick's blind side. Herremans said that he took the first-team reps at right tackle in Saturday's practice.

"They just think for now it's the best move for the team," Herremans said. "It felt good. Obviously, it's a little foreign. It's going to take some time, but in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to rock. I always felt like I could play tackle so now I just have to back it up now."

Herremans was a tackle at Saginaw Valley State and has five career starts at left tackle with the Eagles, most recently in the 2009 season.

"I was a tackle before I was ever a guard. It's going to feel comfortable eventually," Herremans said. "I just have to get in there and get reps."

With Herremans moving from left guard to right tackle, Evan Mathis slides in as the first-team left guard. Mathis has 22 starts in 58 career games. A free agent addition this offseason, Mathis started seven games for the Bengals in 2009.

Winston Justice, last year's starter at right tackle, remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list after undergoing knee surgery in the offseason. The Eagles signed Ryan Harris, who started the first preseason game, but he suffered a back injury and is scheduled to have surgery on Sunday. King Dunlap started the last two preseason games at right tackle.

Herremans was asked at training camp about possibly making the move to right tackle and said that he was open to the idea, but had not been approached about it. At left guard, Herremans was adjusting to a rookie in Jason Kelce. Now, Herremans will work alongside another rookie in right guard Danny Watkins, the team's first-round draft pick.

"He's in the role that I was when I came in the league, so I kind of know what he's going through, how everything's feeling for him," Herremans said. "I'll just try to help him keep growing as a player. I know what it's like to go in that first year and be stuck inside. Tra (Thomas) helped me out when I first came in and played guard. I guess I can dig into my inner Tra and give him some help."

if we can shore up the LB position, we should be good, atleast they are addressing the OL issues. The game agaisnt the Jets should pretty much tell where we are at before the season begins.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #85
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I dont like the fact the Eagles still dont value the LB spot. They need to change it up especially when you have a team capable of reaching the SB.
I don't think anybody does but it's MLB that's the important position in the 4-3. A lot of the sick OLB's in the league like Matthews, Suggs, Ware and them guys all are made for a 3-4 and their talents are limited if they played here. Regardless you want to have great tacklers and run stoppers in the 4-3 and a guy who can chase the tight end...Jamar has looked like he can do that.

What's the highest we've taken a LB in the draft in the Reid era? Don't think they'll ever target a highly regarded LB in the draft unless they plan on converting him to DE.

edit: Looked it up. Quinton Caver ('01) was drafted in the 2nd and played a season and a half for us. Barry Gardner ('99) was in the 2nd round. Stewart Bradley and Gocong were 3rd rounders. Yeah...impressive.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #86
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Kelce is the starter ....... I dont know... I hope Mudd knows what he is doing..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #87
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Kelce is the starter ....... I dont know... I hope Mudd knows what he is doing..

i'm not against this, the only problem is when we play veteran teams. The snaps might not be crisp enough getting to the QB. lets say we play indy in their dome, the noise level might f8ck up the signals coming in from the coaches and inexperience will show it's ugly face.. also matthews is calling the signals for the defense and he's a rookie too.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #88
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Vick's deal is actually 5 years/80 mil. 6th year voids if he plays 35% of snaps in any year of the first 5. And I'm hearing guaranteed is around 32 mil.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #89
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Andy Reid doesn't play starters in the final preseason game, ever since 2001, whenplaying one series in that contest ended the Eagles career of starting center Bubba Miller.

But first-round rookie right guard Danny Watkins will play Thursday, Watkins confirmed today, as he hurried to a meeting.

"I asked for it," Watkins said.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #90
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Vick's deal is actually 5 years/80 mil. 6th year voids if he plays 35% of snaps in any year of the first 5. And I'm hearing guaranteed is around 32 mil.

I'm waiting for rotoworld to put up the contract details
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: