Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Black Population Declining in the U.S.

Living in SoCal i've notice that over the years I feel like I'm seeing less and less black people wherever i go. Places that used to be filled with black faces are now majority hispanic or even white again (my cousin lives in Brookyln and says many white people are moving back in, thus moving out those who can't afford the new rent/property value increase)(google Gentrification). I wondered if it was just me (or simply an LA thing) so I did a google search and found that the black population is declining all over this country, particularly in all the major cities.

What also brought on the search was me thinking about how in my own family, we are very culturally mixed. My father is Puerto Rican, most of my cousins are a mix of one or more of these: El Salvadorian, Armenian, Jamaican, Caucasian, or Dominican. This is not some far mix either, one of their parents is of that race. And i look and see that my girlfriend (who i'm serious with) is from South America as well. My cousin's husband is black, but his family is all from Sweden. So i'm really noticing this trend of a mixing of cultures in my own family, and began to wonder if this is similar throughout the culture. Will the black american one day be a thing of the past?

I look at the most recent census and notice the hispanic population steadily growing, and even the asian, but the black population declining. This decline can't really be attributed to those not being counted in prison (i've heard prisoners are counted in the census, is this true?).

What are your thoughts on this? I expect some racial jokes, but i would like to have a real discussion about this.

Here is one link, this is more a theory, but there are some stats (particularly if you found the census numbers on their site)
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...cks22_ST_N.htm
Quote:
The drop also can be partially attributed to a declining black fertility rate and the aging of the black population, says John Logan, director of US 2010 Project at Brown University, which studies trends in American society. "We're starting to see the graying not only of the white population but of the black population," he says.

Last edited by Loneshot : 08-09-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Black Population Declining in the U.S.

A question regarding the statistics you found: do you have a link showing the decline of the amount of blacks making up the U.S. population? Is it a percentage decline? If so, might it more likely be the result of adding more of another race rather than losing a large portion of this race?

In regards to drops in blacks in big cities, I'd surmise it'd have to do with many being able to move to better locations, as opposed to somehow dropping off the face of the Earth. Growing up in suburban Detroit (Farmington), I was a part of a mostly Caucasian community. Through the last two decades, I've noticed and welcomed a very large increase in minorities in this particular suburban area. In Detroit's case, with the "Donut Effect" in action, many assume it's a case of people not enjoying living in the city itself, and thereby moving the heck out to places like Farmington when they developed the means for such an action.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I haven't seen this. To answer your question, yes, the Black American will eventually become a thing of the past.

In before "good riddance".
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I added a link to one thing referring to it
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
thatoneblackguy

thatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputationthatoneblackguy has a terrific reputation

oh
thatoneblackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
I added a link to one thing referring to it
Thanks. I think I misunderstood your initial statement. I thought you were saying that the overall number of black people in all of America was mysteriously dropping. But as I re-read, I can see you're really just referring to major cities and how they are experiencing a drop in the black population.

In that case, I think we're both on the same page. I think people of all colors are just doing what caucasions have been luckily afforded to do throughout history: they're moving to nicer locations when they develop the ability to do so. Again using my hometown as an example, I actually see this phenomenon as something special and encouraging. The increase in African-Americans and Arab-Americans in my former community gives me a sense that opportunity is at least beginning to spread amongst the masses. The United States (and the world) has many, many years of discrimination in its history that I feel prevented non-whites from seeking certain opportunities. I hope we only continue to develop as an entire group.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This was all apart of the plan.

THANK YOU SECTION 8.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Rysio
Local High School Star

Rysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputation

Rysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove
This was all apart of the plan.

THANK YOU SECTION 8.

This

All of the n!ggas are bein moved into the burbs. A lot of places that used to be mostly white are now section 8. I don't know if this is the case with other cities, but in Cincinnati that is definitely what is happening.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Eventually Asians and Latinos are going to take over. It's not a matter of if, but when. I tend to like most the Asians and Latinos I meet, so it doesn't bother me. My gf is half Mexican, so I guess our child will be considered Latino as well.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
This

All of the n!ggas are bein moved into the burbs. A lot of places that used to be mostly white are now section 8. I don't know if this is the case with other cities, but in Cincinnati that is definitely what is happening.

It's happening in Columbus and Atlanta for sure.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
Lucifer
Banned

Lucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputation

Hows this possible? I thought black people are notorious for not using condoms and leaving women to raise the kid?
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure I have read the white euro based population is also shrinking.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: