Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Should I play the Mass Effect Series?

Should I start from Mass Effect One..... or jump right into Mass Effect 2??

One a scale of one to ten... should I give it a try?

Previous games played/enjoyed:

Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Assassins Creed 2
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
L.A. Noire
Resident Evil: 5
Batman: Arkham Asylum
.... sports games......
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board
Default Re: Should I play the Mass Effect Series?

Yes. You absolutely HAVE to start with Mass Effect 1 though.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Absolutely play part 1! Think of Mass Effect as any other trilogy. The 2nd one is almost always just a bridge between 1 and 3. Meaning the 1st and 3rd ones are the most important. I've beaten part 1 like 10 times... so recently I sold my 360 and got part 2 for PS3. Since I know the plot so well I can afford to do this. If you're completely new to the series I think it's a bad idea to jump right into part 2 (So you better own a 360!).

If you like Action/RPG and Sci fi... Mass Effect will rock your world. It's personally my favorite game of all time and there is a reason that the first game averaged out at a score of 9.7 or 9.8 after all reviews were submitted. It's epic and unique. It definitely set the bar for the RPG genre. I remember buying it out of curiosity and being blown away. Never had I played a game so immersive where I felt like I had control over everything and could build meaningful relationships all game long. You WILL get attached to all the characters. You will have characters you hate and the cool thing as you can let some of them die (won't tell spoilers). The consequences are real. If a squad member dies.. they WILL NOT be in the next game for your file. I know personally I'm very attached to a few of the Mass Effect characters and get anxious and excited as hell for the sequels. The best thing is Bioware always rewards this. Even if the character isn't a main one in the sequels.. they have cameos etc.

Here's a philosophy to follow if you're an RPG gamer, or any gamer in general. If it says Bioware BUY IT. Even the worst Bioware game (Dragon Age 2) is a solid 7.5 or 8 rating. Pretty much anything they make is gold and a seal of quality. Such as SWTOR which is coming soon and is supposedly going to demolish WOW and all other MMORPG's.

The games you listed are actually all in my top 20 games list as well so we probably have similar gaming tastes. I'm 100 percent sure that you will love Mass Effect based on your game list. Go buy it right away and beat it. Transfer save game file to 2nd game. Then have a renegade and paragon file each waiting for the 3rd game man. If you buy the games and ever need help or advice hit me up.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 08-04-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Lakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLakerlove420 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^^^damn Clippers NICE POST.
you make me want to go out and get it too.
I actually played a little bit of Mass Effect 2 and that was it. (borrowed from a friend for a week) It was cool but I knew it was such a long game and I didn't know if I was gonna have time for it. But your post makes me think I SHOULD MAKE TIME for it. I'm sure it's worth it I just don't know if I'm the type for it..
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
^^^^damn Clippers NICE POST.
you make me want to go out and get it too.
I actually played a little bit of Mass Effect 2 and that was it. (borrowed from a friend for a week) It was cool but I knew it was such a long game and I didn't know if I was gonna have time for it. But your post makes me think I SHOULD MAKE TIME for it. I'm sure it's worth it I just don't know if I'm the type for it..

Thanks man. The games aren't that long actually unless you're a hard core gamer who wants every achievement, metal and side quest. On average if you do main story line plus maybe half the side quests... you're looking at 17-20 hours for first game, and 25-30 for second game. I understand not having time for sure which is why I do all my gaming at night time when my girl goes to bed LOL.

Honestly if you enjoy video games... and want the things I talked about in the post above you definitely should MAKE time for Mass Effect. It's such an amazing game and universe man. Ironically as far fetched as it seems a lot of the game uses realistic science. Uses controversial sciences such as the idea of dark matter etc. So if you like science that's another added bonus of the game. They use just enough real science to make it almost believable that this all can happen 200 years from now.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Did they never release Mass Effect one on Playstation?

I coulda swore they did.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Did they never release Mass Effect one on Playstation?

I coulda swore they did.

Mass Effect debuted in 2007 on the Xbox 360. It's an exclusive to Microsoft. In 2010 EA bought Bioware and decided to give Mass Effect to Sony as well (EA is all about profits). So Mass Effect 2 was released a year later for the PS3 than the Xbox 360 but you CANNOT get the first Mass Effect on any other console besides 360.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Best franchise ever. And this is coming from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. On the part about getting attached to the characters, I still remember the bit in ME2 when you find the sniper in Omega you're trying to recruit. As soon as he took his helmet off, I had the same reaction as Shepard and damn near wanted to hug him.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Best franchise ever. And this is coming from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. On the part about getting attached to the characters, I still remember the bit in ME2 when you find the sniper in Omega you're trying to recruit. As soon as he took his helmet off, I had the same reaction as Shepard and damn near wanted to hug him.

I won't say his real name for spoiler reasons but yes when you find Archangel and he reveals himself to your character that was pretty awesome and unexpected. I love the cameos characters make too. Like for example one special Krogan (spoiler, so no names) we all love... who if you let live... is doing very well for himself now. I'm SO SO pumped for part 3.

Guys I strongly recommend using EBAY to buy these games. WAY cheaper than Gamestop. For example right now at Gamestop you get Mass Effect 2 for 57 bucks regular addition. On Ebay I just found 8 or 9 special edition PS3 ones... with all the DLC included for 30-35 bucks NEVER OPENED.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well I never played ME1 but ME2 is awesome. It's really fun and has a captivating story and characters. The combat is cool too. It definitely has replay value. Can't wait for ME3.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Well I never played ME1 but ME2 is awesome. It's really fun and has a captivating story and characters. The combat is cool too. It definitely has replay value. Can't wait for ME3.

Is it because you don't have a 360? Or just skipped? If you have a 360 you really should get first game.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I only have a PS3
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
I only have a PS3

Ah okay. What did you think of PS3's comic to let you make decisions from part 1? Like did you feel left out or did you understand the whole story?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

To be honest I liked it. I thought it was cool how they put in something for the people who hadn't played ME1. I had pretty much figured out the story after doing some reading on the Mass Effect Wiki, but the comic really helped organize everything into a linear perspective.

But just from reading it, it seems that ME1's story was probably more epic than ME2's. They had to fight against a reaper and they barely defeated it. Sounds like more of an epic struggle than the fight against the collectors.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
To be honest I liked it. I thought it was cool how they put in something for the people who hadn't played ME1. I had pretty much figured out the story after doing some reading on the Mass Effect Wiki, but the comic really helped organize everything into a linear perspective.

But just from reading it, it seems that ME1's story was probably more epic than ME2's. They had to fight against a reaper and they barely defeated it. Sounds like more of an epic struggle than the fight against the collectors.

You should youtube some clips from first game like towards end of ME1 where Shepard finds that computer AI. It's amazing. Working Prothean technology. You'll get your chance tokill Reapers in next game at least.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: