Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Default Chris Mullin vs Larry Bird $100 bucks a shot

If there was a shooting contest between Chris Mullin and Larry Bird, who would you pick?

Think about that and then read this

Quote:
One day, in a quiet and near-empty Barcelona gym, Bird and Mullin got into a shooting contest: man on man, match the other guy's shot or you owe him a hundred bucks. Stays even if both guys make it.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
xcesswee
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Chris Mullin vs Larry Bird $100 bucks a shot

Tough one. I'll pick Bird but its close to 50/50
xcesswee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
get these NETS
you can't stop me

walking off with the (money)ball in the air
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
AMISTILLILL
Banned

Bird all day, every day.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
BoNafidde
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

If they would have kept playing that day, Bird would have won.
BoNafidde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

id go with mullen on 3s and everything else to bird
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by inclinerator
Quote:
Originally Posted by inclinerator

I have heard stories of both of them going shooting dozens and dozens of shots without a miss. I personally saw Mullin shoot what felt like 30 or 40 20-25ft shots without a miss.

Mullin Link Check out the comments on the page, search for Tokyo and read that comment and the next.

I can't find the Bird link, but it was from a TV guy, maybe for ESPN. Mickey Mantle had come in for interview and just waiting in the back room watching the camera feed from the Boston Garden before a game and he notices Mantle watching closer and closer and then Mantle says, "this guy doesn't miss." And they watched some more without Bird missing.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
DuMa
Canned

If they were drinking, Mullin in a heartbeat
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
97 bulls
NBA Superstar

I'm going with mullin. He had arguably the sweetest shot in the game.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Da_Realist
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I have heard stories of both of them going shooting dozens and dozens of shots without a miss. I personally saw Mullin shoot what felt like 30 or 40 20-25ft shots without a miss.

Mullin Link Check out the comments on the page, search for Tokyo and read that comment and the next.

I can't find the Bird link, but it was from a TV guy, maybe for ESPN. Mickey Mantle had come in for interview and just waiting in the back room watching the camera feed from the Boston Garden before a game and he notices Mantle watching closer and closer and then Mantle says, "this guy doesn't miss." And they watched some more without Bird missing.

From Those Guys Have All The Fun

Bill Fairweather (Sportscenter Producer): As I prepared, I remembered when I was twenty-one years old and working at this local station in the sports department and Mickey Mantle came by as part of a promotional tour. He came into the sports office and wound up sitting there while the PR guy was doing some other stuff. So we're in this room together, but I'm not going to bother him. He's Mickey Mantle, right? The office had TV screens with different feeds and games that are going on, but one of the screen had the live feed from Boston Garden. So now it's like 4:30 p.m., and the lights are not even on at the Garden, but Larry Bird is out there shooting, as is his pregame ritual. He would always be out there hours before anyone else, shooting a half an hour or an hour by himself. Not even anyone retrieving the ball.

So Mantle sits back and starts watching Bird shooting, and two minutes go by, and I notice Bird hasn't missed a shot. Two more minutes go by; Bird still hasn't missed a shot. And I see Mantle start to sit up, to get on the edge of his chair and get more and more intently focused on watching this. No joke, Bird has probably taken a hundred shots in a row and not missed one. Mantle is just totally amazed by what he's seeing, and I'm watching him watch Bird. I'm getting a real kick out of this because I'm seeing this guy, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, watching one of the greatest basketball players of all time, all the while knowing that there are only two people in the world who are aware of what's going on now, and it's me and Mickey Mantle.

I think Bird was shooting for close to ten minutes without missing a shot, and finally Mantle gets to the point where he has to say something. He's just so amazed by what he's been seeing that he looks at me and says, "This boy doesn't miss." And I looked at him and I said, "Yeah, but you're Mickey Mantle."
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
ballerz
Local High School Star

Larry Legend
ballerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Oh yeah, that new ESPN Book.

Wow, just read the review in Time which led to this clip.

Didn't know about this, but I bet everyone who ever watched Jim Rome wanted to do this.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Learned a new word too. The Time review calls Jim Rome rebarbative.

re∑bar∑ba∑tive
adjective
causing annoyance, irritation, or aversion; repellent.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

I have mentioned it before, but I attended a Knicks-Warriors game in Oakland in the early 70's, and in the pre-game shoot-around, Jerry Lucas hit some 20 straight shots from between the circles (about 25 ft on average)...high-arching rainbows, and very few even rippled the net. He was past his prime by then, but even years before the media coined the term "Lucas Layup" in his honor. There is also some footage available on YouTube with him swishing FT line HOOK SHOTS (in at least a couple of videos for sure.) All of this from the premier PF of his era. A player that had TWO 20-20 seasons (and several more near-misses.) He was the Kevin Love of his era.

Jon McGlocklin was a 6-5 220 lb. guard that also had 25+ ft. range. He had some outstanding seasons, but in the 70-71 season he shot .535 ... much of it from what would be the 3pt line in today's NBA.

For pure shooting, how about the name of Wilfred Hetzel (article taken in 1970)?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3519/index.htm

Quote:
World's Greatest (and doubtless only) Freak Shot Expert Wilfred Hetzel, who was discharged from the Army in 1943 "for nervousness," is nervous now. In the assembly program at Ladysmith (Va.) High School this morning, the kids were a little restless, and his performance a little ragged. True, he hit over 70% of his gallimaufry of shotsówith eyes shut, with legs crossed, with legs downright entwined, on the bounce off the floor, from one foot, from one knee, from both knees, from behind the backboard (frontward and backward), from up on his toes, from back on his heels (toes in the air) and in various combinations of the above. The kids responded with a gleeful shout, as he says they almost always do, to his "goofy series," in which he suddenly assumes a fey, exaggeratedly knock-kneed or bowlegged stance and then lets fly.

But the days of his 60-foot and 70-foot peg shots, which he used to make off ceilings or over rafters or simply from one end of the court to the other, are gone. Now, 58 years old and weakened by an operation for TB, the man who bills himself as "Thrice Featured in Believe It or Not and Twice in Strange as It Seems" can shoot the ball only underhanded (except on his bounce shots) and seldom from farther out than the foul line. And in 14 tries at Ladysmith, his 18-foot dropkick, his most spectacular remaining shot, was in and out once but never quite swished. The kids cheered frequently and came up for autographs afterward but, as Hetzel says, "If I can't impress them as the bestówell, that's the point."

BTW, as a sidenote, KevinNYC's article mentioned Mickey Mantle. Mantle was about 5-11 and about 180-190 lbs. So what you ask? There is little doubt that Mantle was the most powerful hitter in baseball history. I won't take the time to look up SI's article a few years ago, but a peak Barry Bonds (peak as in his prime "steroid years") longest measured HR was 490 ft. A "pumped up" Mark McGwire hit quite a few 500+ ft HRs (I believe his longest was about 550 BTW)...BUT how about Mantle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mantle

Quote:
Mantle also hit some of the longest home runs in Major League history. On September 10, 1960, he hit a ball left-handed that cleared the right-field roof at Tiger Stadium in Detroit and, based on where it was found, was estimated years later by historian Mark Gallagher to have traveled 643 feet (196 m). Another Mantle homer, hit right-handed off Chuck Stobbs at Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C. on April 17, 1953, was measured by Yankees traveling secretary Red Patterson (hence the term "tape-measure home run") to have traveled 565 feet (172 m). Though it is apparent that they are actually the distances where the balls ended up after bouncing several times,[5] there is no doubt that they both landed more than 500 feet (152 m) from home plate. Mantle twice hit balls off the third-deck facade at Yankee Stadium, nearly becoming the only player (along with Negro Leagues star Josh Gibson, though Gibson's home run has never been conclusively verified) to hit a fair ball out of the stadium during a game. On May 22, 1963, against Kansas City's Bill Fischer, Mantle hit a ball that fellow players and fans claimed was still rising when it hit the 110-foot (34 m) high facade, then caromed back onto the playing field. It was later estimated by some that the ball could have traveled 620 feet (190 m) had it not been blocked by the ornate and distinctive facade. While physicists might question those estimates, on August 12, 1964, he hit one whose distance was undoubted: a center field drive that cleared the 22-foot (6.7 m) batter's eye screen, beyond the 461-foot (141 m) marker at the Stadium.

Although he was a feared power hitter from either side of the plate, Mantle considered himself a better right-handed hitter even though he had more home runs from the left side of the plate: 372 left-handed, 164 right-handed.[6] That was due to Mantle having batted left-handed much more often, as the large majority of pitchers are right-handed. In addition, many of his left-handed home runs were hit in Yankee Stadium, a park much friendlier to left-handed hitters than to right-handed hitters. When Mantle played for the Yankees, the distance to the right-field foul pole stood at a mere 296 feet (90 m), with markers in the power alleys of 344 and 407, while the left-field power alley ranged from 402 to 457 feet (139 m) from the plate

Not sure how accurate this site is, but it is certainly interesting...

http://www.themick.com/10homers.html

Back to OP...

I would take Mullin.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
Miserio
I dunk on kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
I'm going with mullin. He had arguably the sweetest shot in the game.
I agree and i'm the biggest larry bird homer of ALL TIMEEE
Miserio is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: