Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Stern threatens contraction... Forbes Ranks Raptors #10

I see the next "atomic bomb" in negotiation tactics is the threat of contraction.

I surfed the net to see where the Raptors fall in the leagues "hierarchy of have and have nots".

You might be surprised by the results.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/...rs_321933.html

The skinny
The Raptors are part of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which also owns the NHL's Maple Leafs and Air Canada Centre. The team has not qualified for the playoffs in three years and has only made five appearances since joining the NBA for the 1995-96 season. Despite the poor play on the court the Raptors continue to make money thanks to the strengthening Canadian dollar and the success of the Air Canada Centre. The Raptors are one of just 10 teams that generate more than $1 million in gate receipts per game on average.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Stern threatens contraction... Forbes Ranks Raptors #10

The Raps should be at the top third of the list most of the time when it comes to making money. With the big city and a country behind them it would be hard not to make a sum of money. I'd like to see a team in Vancouver though, I think that the market there is bigger than many of the markets they have in the states.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

not that surprised

we suck but MLSE wouldn't tolerate a terrible team if it wasn't raking in big dough

actually surprised we aren't higher
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
The Raps should be at the top third of the list most of the time when it comes to making money. With the big city and a country behind them it would be hard not to make a sum of money. I'd like to see a team in Vancouver though, I think that the market there is bigger than many of the markets they have in the states.

Sort of... all Canada behind them amounts to almost nothing I would bet. The TV revenues are small and frankly not a lot of Calgarians are buying Raps jereseys. Its Greater Toronto Area (or Southern Ontario) revenues that drive the raps - nothing meaningful comes from Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, or Calgary.

Vancouver +1 +1

Grizz should never have left - it was an ownership structure issue in my mind not a revenue fan issue. If the same people that own the garage and the Canucks own the NBA franchise - bobs your uncle. More stadium dates, more parking, more beer sales.

Especially with Seattle having no team.

I firmly firmly believe that with the state of the economy in some US cities - there is no way that Vancouver would not be more lucrative than Milwaukee, Sacramento, Memphis, and New Orleans
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I was kind of happy that we were going to lockout.
Maybe because it meant that there would be better parity in a league where only a handful of teams have ever won a championship.
Maybe because I thought it would be good for the raps and their 2012 draft prospects.

But damn...
I am starting to get antsy. I've got a serious basketball jones and the only real games we've missed are summerleague (if you can call them real). It isn't even supposed to be training camp yet.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
senelcoolidge
College star

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people

I'm dying for basketball too. If there were any contractions I think the Raptors would be on the top 3 teams to go. With the new coaching staff maybe the team will start playing defense now.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
If there were any contractions I think the Raptors would be on the top 3 teams to go

That was actually the point of my thread.

Assuming contraction is really more than a threat - you dont contract one of your top 10 revenue teams. Even if revenue sharing is "incomplete" or could be better as the players maintain - Toronto is not the problem child.

Especially not when the league owns New Orleans, faces another relocation to the LA marketplace with the Kings, has had Memphis proverbally "hanging on" and for sale every year since they left Vancouver, and an ownwrship mess to be sorted out in Atlanta.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
That was actually the point of my thread.

Assuming contraction is really more than a threat - you dont contract one of your top 10 revenue teams. Even if revenue sharing is "incomplete" or could be better as the players maintain - Toronto is not the problem child.

Especially not when the league owns New Orleans, faces another relocation to the LA marketplace with the Kings, has had Memphis proverbally "hanging on" and for sale every year since they left Vancouver, and an ownwrship mess to be sorted out in Atlanta.

I'd like to see them bring the Grizz back to vancouver.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: