Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Oden the mama boy

Men's Basketball : During interviews today, freshman center Greg Oden was asked about how long he intended to stay at Ohio State. Oden answered "There's a very big chance I will be here four years." When asked if he really intended to be here four years he replied "Of course. I've got to finish college. That's what my Mom told me."

I still think he bolts.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

I think he stays for another year, if he truly wanted to leave, then he wouldnt keep making comments on staying.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

.....and if Eric Gordon truly wanted to go to Indiana, he wouldn't keep saying he's going to Illinois.

Oh, wait.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes because players saying one thing and doing another is uncommon in sports. Damn I'm so naive.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Eric Gordon,

I feel you Game, He doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Derrick Rose is the real deal though
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I'm still considering going to one of Gordon's games and screaming "YOU'RE THE NEXT EBI ERE, DUMBASS!" the whole game. If he and his lying family hadn't screwed over Weber so badly, I might feel bad for the kid playing for Sampson, who's never produced an NBA guard, because even someone as supertalented as Gordon can be ruined.

But they did screw over Weber, so if it happens, I'll laugh.

As for Rose, he and his brother were bought by adidas and everyone knows it. It was so obvious for so long that I didn't even care by the time he committed, even though they visited Illinois a week before. I didn't check the message boards or anything that night, just read it in the paper the next day, laughed at Reggie's absurd quotes, and continued not caring.

I couldn't believe the moron- Reggie, that is; I have no ill will toward Derrick, who's just the extremely talented pawn here, just like Sherron Collins was with Anthony Longstreet a year before- didn't keep Illinois on the list back in August, and the visit in October was nothing but PR and damage control.

Let's see, I'm Reggie Rose. I probably don't want it to be glaringly obvious that adidas bought my younger brother. So I'll release a list of Memphis, Indiana, DePaul, Kansas and UCLA, and say we "also might visit Notre Dame and Marquette." Seven schools, seven adidas schools. Make it a little more obvious, Reggie.

I know it makes Illinois fans sound like whiners to complain about recruiting improprieties in the cases of Sherron Collins- who had silently committed to Illinois in July '05- and Derrick Rose. But whining aside, you just can't change facts.

Yet all that said, Memphis is a good fit for him, and to showcase his talent for a year before going to the pros, probably a better fit than Illinois. Calipari will let him fly up and down the court. Weber would've had him in a motion offense (as Jay Bilas said, everyone says they run motion, but Illinois is one of maybe less than 10 teams that actually runs a real motion offense these days) that takes a little while to learn. Makes you a better player for learning it, but that's another story.

In short, I'll be happy for Derrick when he succeeds, and I feel a little bad for him that he didn't get to make his own decision. If he did, he'd probably be wearing Illini orange or Carolina blue next year.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 12-25-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:25 AM   #7
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Quote:
I feel a little bad for him that he didn't get to make his own decision. If he did, he'd probably be wearing Illini orange or Carolina blue next year.

I agree, he'd be in orange for sure.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #8
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

This thread's already been hijacked, so whatever.

I think the Illinois staff- and I'm sure they're well aware of this- needs to be wary of "handlers"/father figures, and the influence they have over the kid's decision.

Evan Turner looked like he was gonna be ours, but decided on Ohio State because his dad and a lot of his family lives in Ohio. Matta wisely used that to pull a recruiting power play on Turner, offering both him and Alex Tyus and saying first-come, first-served. (Note: I'm not ripping on Matta here at all. It was a great recruiting move and I think Weber should use the same strategy with '08 guards Lewis Jackson and Verdell Jones.)

Reggie Rose and Anthony Longstreet (Sherron's coach/handler) had their palms out, and those palms got greased. Weber, for better or worse (better being that he'll always have Illinois squeaky-clean, worse being that we're always gonna have trouble recruiting CPL kids) doesn't play that game.

Eric Gordon's dad was sprung on Indiana. I don't know if EJ really wanted to go there himself, because his comments over the summer were always "I'm going to Illinois," whereas his dad always kinda left the door open. I'm not saying the kid didn't want to go to IU, but his dad sure pushed him in that direction.

Jon Scheyer's dad was sprung on Duke. Then again, so was Scheyer himself because Chris Collins was a longtime family friend.

Brandon Rush....c'mon, his brother played for Mizzou. I don't really want the relative of a former Tiger on my squad. Then again, Kansas fans would want that even less than Illini fans, so I'm talking out of my ass on this one.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Yes because players saying one thing and doing another is uncommon in sports. Damn I'm so naive.
True, but this guy persistently claims that he is staying, which either means he is staying, or is at least not sure. If he already decided to leave, would he make these comments?
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
True, but this guy persistently claims that he is staying, which either means he is staying, or is at least not sure. If he already decided to leave, would he make these comments?

He can say he is coming out til he turns blue and after the tourney decide to stay for another year. Som him screaming this I'm staying stuff could end up true in the end or he could have a change of heart. No one can ignore the possibility of a change of heart. It doesnt move me one way or the other if he comes out or not.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

Does every thread need to turn into the Illini recruiting woes. And how many times are you gonna b*tch about Collins/Longstreet, and the Gordon and Rose families? Thats what recruiting has become, deal with it. If Bruce Almighty doesn't wanna recruit like Self does, your program will suffer the consequences. We are all well aware of Webers coaching ability and lack of recruiting ability. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Illinois is never going to be a national power house, like UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, and Kansas until they get another coach who can recruit.(And years and years of incredible tradition) Self got you guys great players, and they took you to a National Championship. Under Weber you're always gonna be between 15-25 in the ratings. The only thing that matters is what you do in March, so his coaching ability should usually win you a few games before you meet far more talented teams.

Last edited by ThaKing : 12-26-2006 at 12:53 PM.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKing
Does every thread need to turn into the Illini recruiting woes. And how many times are you gonna b*tch about Collins/Longstreet, and the Gordon and Rose families? Thats what recruiting has become, deal with it. If Bruce Almighty doesn't wanna recruit like Self does, your program will suffer the consequences. We are all well aware of Webers coaching ability and lack of recruiting ability. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Illinois is never going to be a national power house, like UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, and Kansas until they get another coach who can recruit.(And years and years of incredible tradition) Self got you guys great players, and they took you to a National Championship. Under Weber you're always gonna be between 15-25 in the ratings. The only thing that matters is what you do in March, so his coaching ability should usually win you a few games before you meet far more talented teams.
Isn't only us and Duke that have won at least 25 games over the past I don't know how many years? Our years and years of winning tradition are already there.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I think it was Game who said if we stop going for the big guns, 5 star recruits, and just turn it into a bunch of 4stars, we'll have a good team. I agree with that. Rather be deep than just heavily reliant one player. Weber's system never really allows one guy to shine.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

You guys aren't light on tradition, but your not as heavy as many others.

Whether you have 4 or 5 star recruits doesn't matter as much as most think you just need good players. im not saying you need to bring in as many McDonalds boys as Kansas,Duke, or UNC but it helps to have good players like Deron, Dee, and Luther. I think Self is a better hudge of talent than Weber is. Even Self's first class at Kansas, it didn't have any All-americans but it is a very consistent class. We got CJ Giles, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Russell Robinson, and Alex Galindo. Now only 3 of the 5 are still Jayhawks(Galindo couldnt find playing time, and Giles is an idiot) but its a good class made up of no superstars just good ball players Self knew would contribute.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Self isn't a better judge of talent than Weber. That's just silly. Self just happens to be at a school that attracts better players. It did before Self and it will after Self.

If Bill Self was that good a judge of talent, then Andre Igoudalia would have played for Illinois. Do you know why Andre Igoudalia didn't end up at Illinois? Because Self didn't think he was good.

Self brought exactly one McDonald's All-American to Illinois.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: