Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Draz
The People's Choice

Draz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation here
Default Computer Programming / Coding

I'm starting with HTML + CSS.

After, what should I learn? Python, C, C++, etc

I'm using both CodeAcademy & KhanAcademy.

Anyone willing to learn, come here. Anyone looking to help, come here.
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Computer Programming / Coding

if i were you i'd start with python as it's more intuitive and will help you branch out to other areas of coding much much faster.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
Draz
The People's Choice

Draz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation hereDraz has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
if i were you i'd start with python as it's more intuitive and will help you branch out to other areas of coding much much faster.

Thanks One of my exs (I left on good terms) was just fcking around with her for a few months took Python and got an A in it for HS. She's COMPLETELY clueless and I see it in her, so it shouldn't be that hard. But, she took it for three years so lol.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
d.bball.guy
Kobe for President

d.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputationd.bball.guy has a terrific reputation

Python. Easiest so far and will get you going nicely
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this board

These days HTML/CSS will be useless without also knowing Javascript, or some Javascript framework.

Python will do you well for backend web stuff.

I wouldn't bother with C unless you want to work with embedded hardware.

C++ however has many uses and is extremely flexible these days. Still it will probably be better to start with some other Object Oriented Language before learning C++.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bball.guy
Python. Easiest so far and will get you going nicely
Had a strong feeling you'd come here
And Alright cool.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
Draz
The People's Choice

Just wanted to go on the record, I'm self learning. I'm not taking courses. Unless it's an elective maybe. My major will be social work. Should I continue learning this? Maybe it'll look on my resume?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this boardembersyc is popular on this board

For the record, I have only an associate degree in graphic design from a community college and make a good amount as a self taught software engineer.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
For the record, I have only an associate degree in graphic design from a community college and make a good amount as a self taught software engineer.
Thanks bro you just encouraged me. Any certifications?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
outbreak

outbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Thanks One of my exs (I left on good terms) was just fcking around with her for a few months took Python and got an A in it for HS. She's COMPLETELY clueless and I see it in her, so it shouldn't be that hard. But, she took it for three years so lol.

In my experience it's easy to get good grades in programming without actually learning how to program. The in class room stuff I did didn't correlate at all to what real world work is like, same goes for a lot of I.T stuff actually. Python is handy to know, a lot of jobs look for that and everyone knows html these days. Worth learning to work with sql too.

Last edited by outbreak : 01-19-2016 at 06:25 PM.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Thanks bro you just encouraged me. Any certifications?

No I don't have any certs either.

Although I am taking some classes on Udacity.com right now for one of their nano-degree programs, just trying to keep my skills up to date.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
In my experience it's easy to get good grades in programming without actually learning how to program. The in class room stuff I did didn't correlate at all to what real world work is like, same goes for a lot of I.T stuff actually. Python and SQL are handy to know, a lot of jobs look for those two and everyone knows html these days.
Mhm I see. I didn't necessarily get into my major yet, I'm 4 credits into my BA for Social Work, hoping that I apply for the major and stay above the required GPA. I can still turn back but, I wouldn't want to get into this, I want to do something I love. While I do seeing this being something I love as well, given I grew up around computers, I want to motivate myself to learn by myself.

That, and I had friends in college tell me it's good to know coding and eventually become certified because it'll help boost employers interest in you.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
outbreak

outbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Mhm I see. I didn't necessarily get into my major yet, I'm 4 credits into my BA for Social Work, hoping that I apply for the major and stay above the required GPA. I can still turn back but, I wouldn't want to get into this, I want to do something I love. While I do seeing this being something I love as well, given I grew up around computers, I want to motivate myself to learn by myself.

That, and I had friends in college tell me it's good to know coding and eventually become certified because it'll help boost employers interest in you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying certifications are pointless. Just saying that you mentioned your friend is clueless but still did well in the classes.

What I mean is you can still learn a lot but I've found it's easy to get good grades but still leave the class not learning a lot if you don't apply yourself or you're not that intelligent/suited to programming. I see it as similar to learning a foreign language, you can have two people take french and both ace the class but at the end of that one may be able to go to france and speaks fluently while the other just learnt how to get through the class.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying certifications are pointless. Just saying that you mentioned your friend is clueless but still did well in the classes.

What I mean is you can still learn a lot but I've found it's easy to get good grades but still leave the class not learning a lot if you don't apply yourself or you're not that intelligent/suited to programming.
The only issue I see myself having, is retaining all the information learned. How does one remember all different languages throughout years of applying it? Is it just practice and constant coding? Also, math. I need to review and get better at math, I'll follow it up on KhanAcademy. What are all the maths I require going into this?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #15
embersyc
Lurker

You'll never retain 100% of syntax and api for every language on your resume. Google has many good sources to look up such things as you need them.

Obviously if you are using a language everyday and have built several complete bugfree programs in it, you are going to be better with that language, but I feel at this point I can use any language to program, even one I have never heard of before as long as sufficient documentation exists.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: