Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #166
kaiteng
EXCITED
 
kaiteng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BMO Field
Posts: 16,090
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
Ocean Dub FTW!
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #167
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,199
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan

It's the Ocean dub cast, aka the Canadian group.

It was voice recorded at various Vancouver studios in association with Cartoon Network UK, YTV Canada, AB Group and Ocean Sound Corp. The dubs were broadcast in Canada, UK, and other English-speaking markets in Europe instead of the more well-known FUNimation Dub (which is the American group)

The Ocean dub originated as an early English dub of Dragon Ball Z produced by Saban and FUNimation Productions for FoxKids and KidsWB, and later for Cartoon Network. The Ocean Group, a production/distribution company located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, was contracted by FUNimation and Saban to dub the first 53 episodes of the series. These episodes, which were recorded by InterPacific Productions Inc at Ocean Studios, were heavily edited for content, and covered the first 67 uncut episodes of the series. The third movie was also dubbed in this form as an episode of the series, while the first three movies were given uncut dubs using the same voice cast.

During its formative years, the show had difficulty finding its target market/audience; principally, due to poor marketing with the show airing at awkward timeslots. As a result, financing for the series worsened to the point where Saban Entertainment (a distributor of the series and its major financer) and FUNimation (the series' producer) parted ways. However, not long after, the series' target audience was eventually found when the first two seasons aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami programming block during the summer of 1998. Ratings were positive and the series had found new life, thus, warranting its continued dubbing.

By this point, FUNimation decided to continue dubbing the project in Texas with non-union actors, due to them not being able to afford the Vancouver actors without Saban's financing. From episode 54 onward (the beginning of season 3, mid-way in uncut Episode 67), FUNimation began using their in-house talent, based in Ft. Worth, Texas, to dub the rest of the series. Until these new episodes were recorded and produced, re-runs of the Ocean dubbed Saiyan and Namek sagas ran indefinitely for months. Ocean Studios continued to assist FUNimation with scripting and editing.

However, Canadian broadcasting rules limit the use of non-Canadian programming, and the episodes of Dragon Ball Z dubbed by Ocean Studios were considered "Canadian content" due to the voice production being done in Canada. When the series switched to an American-based voice cast, Dragon Ball Z was no longer considered "Canadian content", and the Canadian and European distributor, AB Groupe, contacted Westwood Media to make an alternate English dub produced using mostly the same Vancouver actors to meet Canadian broadcast demands.

This English dub was also distributed in English-speaking territories in Europe, and wherever AB Groupe owned the license to the Dragon Ball franchise, since continuing to distribute the FUNimation dub would've been the more expensive option. The FUNimation dub continued to be distributed in Australia and New Zealand since the license holder in those territories had no connection to AB Groupe.



So in a nutshell. Ocean Group has episodes 1-53 and 108-276 of the dub (missing the ones in between). Most of the actors did return to voice back but several had left during the end of the series. There have been 3 different voice actors to play Son-Goku.

It is not known exactly why they skipped over episodes 54-107, however, it is likely they began at episode 108 as that is where FUNimation was with their dub in 2000. A fan petition, created in 2003, was made in an effort to get the Ocean cast to dub episodes #54-107. There are currently just over 1364 signatures in support of it.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #168
TennesseeFan
Banned
 
TennesseeFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Knox, TN
Posts: 5,347
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
It's the Ocean dub cast, aka the Canadian group.

It was voice recorded at various Vancouver studios in association with Cartoon Network UK, YTV Canada, AB Group and Ocean Sound Corp. The dubs were broadcast in Canada, UK, and other English-speaking markets in Europe instead of the more well-known FUNimation Dub (which is the American group)

The Ocean dub originated as an early English dub of Dragon Ball Z produced by Saban and FUNimation Productions for FoxKids and KidsWB, and later for Cartoon Network. The Ocean Group, a production/distribution company located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, was contracted by FUNimation and Saban to dub the first 53 episodes of the series. These episodes, which were recorded by InterPacific Productions Inc at Ocean Studios, were heavily edited for content, and covered the first 67 uncut episodes of the series. The third movie was also dubbed in this form as an episode of the series, while the first three movies were given uncut dubs using the same voice cast.

During its formative years, the show had difficulty finding its target market/audience; principally, due to poor marketing with the show airing at awkward timeslots. As a result, financing for the series worsened to the point where Saban Entertainment (a distributor of the series and its major financer) and FUNimation (the series' producer) parted ways. However, not long after, the series' target audience was eventually found when the first two seasons aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami programming block during the summer of 1998. Ratings were positive and the series had found new life, thus, warranting its continued dubbing.

By this point, FUNimation decided to continue dubbing the project in Texas with non-union actors, due to them not being able to afford the Vancouver actors without Saban's financing. From episode 54 onward (the beginning of season 3, mid-way in uncut Episode 67), FUNimation began using their in-house talent, based in Ft. Worth, Texas, to dub the rest of the series. Until these new episodes were recorded and produced, re-runs of the Ocean dubbed Saiyan and Namek sagas ran indefinitely for months. Ocean Studios continued to assist FUNimation with scripting and editing.

However, Canadian broadcasting rules limit the use of non-Canadian programming, and the episodes of Dragon Ball Z dubbed by Ocean Studios were considered "Canadian content" due to the voice production being done in Canada. When the series switched to an American-based voice cast, Dragon Ball Z was no longer considered "Canadian content", and the Canadian and European distributor, AB Groupe, contacted Westwood Media to make an alternate English dub produced using mostly the same Vancouver actors to meet Canadian broadcast demands.

This English dub was also distributed in English-speaking territories in Europe, and wherever AB Groupe owned the license to the Dragon Ball franchise, since continuing to distribute the FUNimation dub would've been the more expensive option. The FUNimation dub continued to be distributed in Australia and New Zealand since the license holder in those territories had no connection to AB Groupe.



So in a nutshell. Ocean Group has episodes 1-53 and 108-276 of the dub (missing the ones in between). Most of the actors did return to voice back but several had left during the end of the series. There have been 3 different voice actors to play Son-Goku.

It is not known exactly why they skipped over episodes 54-107, however, it is likely they began at episode 108 as that is where FUNimation was with their dub in 2000. A fan petition, created in 2003, was made in an effort to get the Ocean cast to dub episodes #54-107. There are currently just over 1364 signatures in support of it.

TLDR
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #169
TennesseeFan
Banned
 
TennesseeFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Knox, TN
Posts: 5,347
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Tien vs. Goku tomorrow, suck my dick!
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #170
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!
 
LBJMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,745
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
Tien vs. Goku tomorrow, suck my dick!

im pissed. the past two days i've been tryin to watch but its been loading so slow that i just say screw it.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #171
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,199
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
TLDR

Yeah i should have shortened it.

But yeah it's basically Ocean dub, Canadian version. Here is a comparison of Ocean and Funimation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqBh...eature=related
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #172
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman
 
Velocirap31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jurassic Park
Posts: 2,566
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Yeah i should have shortened it.

But yeah it's basically Ocean dub, Canadian version. Here is a comparison of Ocean and Funimation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqBh...eature=related

I like Ocean Dub's better, Vegeta is too small to have Funimation's voice for him, doesn't sound right. More dialogue with Ocean's to. I never knew there were two voice over groups.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #173
verylegit
functioning alcoholic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,018
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Not watching


new avatar is good my dude
verylegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #174
TennesseeFan
Banned
 
TennesseeFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Knox, TN
Posts: 5,347
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

ocean dub sucks d!ck
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #175
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,199
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Not watching

Oh come on.

At least watch episodes 1-57. That was when the voices were at it's best.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:00 AM   #176
Legends66NBA7
Dinosaurs live again
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,199
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
ocean dub sucks d!ck

From episodes 108-276 in comparison to funimation, yes. Not episodes 1-57, though.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #177
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch
 
Killbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bombing Organisms Timelessly
Posts: 13,708
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
At one point in each DBZ saga, Piccolo was the strongest hero on Earth

It's a shame that he hardly killed any powerful opponent.
Killbot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #178
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch
 
Killbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bombing Organisms Timelessly
Posts: 13,708
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
Chaoitzu is freaking hilarious.

I enjoyed the Krillin and Chaotzu match. It's not a typical regular match. Krillin certainly had a unique strategy.
Killbot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #179
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch
 
Killbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bombing Organisms Timelessly
Posts: 13,708
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
im pissed. the past two days i've been tryin to watch but its been loading so slow that i just say screw it.

Start loading it in the morning and do something else?
Killbot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #180
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!
 
LBJMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,745
Default Re: The Dragon Ball Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbot
Start loading it in the morning and do something else?

like it literally stopped loading for 30 minutes, but i switched to another site and it worked just fine
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy