Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
pizzahungry
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Avery Johnson

i was thinking, where do you rank Avery Johnson among today's nba coaches. he has a 76-24 r.s. record for a .760% & is 16-11 for a .593% in the playoffs! he has implored & successfully installed a more defensive mentality. he done well with his players... for example, he's gotten Dampier to accept & play (well too!) off the bench. & the coach seems to be good with the x's & o's. dallas is always ready with a nice play & execution after every time out. (a good sign of a good coach in my opinion.)
pizzahungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #2
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

He's a great coach, but he did inherit a great team as well. If I saw him coach a bunch of scrubs, I could better tell as far as how elite he is in the world of coaching.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

I would like to preface my top 5 ranking my saying that Larry Brown, in my opinion, really hurt his "legacy" this year.

1. Pop
2. Phil
3. Avery
4. Pat
5. Larry/Flip
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
MavsPoke
High School Varsity 6th Man

Don't forget to add that he has helped take Dirk from a top 10 very good type of player to a top 3 elite player. He's actually got Dirk to go inside and get fouled and score. He's gotten Dirk to go inside and rebound on the offensive glass. He's has let Dirk be Dirk, but added to his game. That is very hard to do. You can ruin a player by messing with thier game and comfort zone, but Avery once again has pulled off a miracle with Dirk.
MavsPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
Unregistered

gimme Carlisle over Flip.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
I would like to preface my top 5 ranking my saying that Larry Brown, in my opinion, really hurt his "legacy" this year.

1. Pop
2. Phil
3. Avery
4. Pat
5. Larry/Flip

for this season i had the same top 3 but @ 4 i put down Mike D'Antoni. the man knows how to make adjustments reguarding personnel & game plan.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #7
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahungry
for this season i had the same top 3 but @ 4 i put down Mike D'Antoni. the man knows how to make adjustments reguarding personnel & game plan.

I always felt that Nash ran the team and D'Antoni was more of a "cheerleader," but this is coming from a very ignorant person who barely watches Suns' games, just an opinion.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
JSub
Decent college freshman

How do you pass up Mike? What other genius coach would play Boris Diaw at center?
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
I always felt that Nash ran the team and D'Antoni was more of a "cheerleader," but this is coming from a very ignorant person who barely watches Suns' games, just an opinion.

Well, the system is his, but he gives his players complete freedom in that system. I would put him in the top 5 or 6, because he finds roles for players that help them excell.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
Well, the system is his, but he gives his players complete freedom in that system. I would put him in the top 5 or 6, because he finds roles for players that help them excell.

ah the true nature of a coach. finding an identity for his players & team. top 5 coaches in the league do that definitely.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #11
MavsPoke

Anyone else think that D'antoni is the second coming of Don Nelson?

I think when Nash starts to fade (next year???) D'antoni's coaching career will also fade.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:18 AM   #12
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsPoke
Anyone else think that D'antoni is the second coming of Don Nelson?

I think when Nash starts to fade (next year???) D'antoni's coaching career will also fade.

No, Don Nelson is a gimmicky type coach. They may be similar, but D'Antoni will be fine.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 AM   #13
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
No, Don Nelson is a gimmicky type coach. They may be similar, but D'Antoni will be fine.

Seeing as how Don Nelson & D'Antoni are similar, a question comes to mind. If you put Avery Johnson @ the helm of the Sun with the current 2006 play-off roster for an entire season, is he able to do the same as he did in Dallas? Can this Suns team buy into a more defensive mind set?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #14
MavsPoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
Not playing a center. Coaching your players not to contest shots at the rim, so you can get the ball out of the hoop and run.

That's not a gimmick????

D'antoni has a few years to go before he is even at Nelson's level as a coach. But they are eerilly similar. Nelson quit the Mavs and retired after D'antoni implored the Suns ownership to overpay Nash. Both coaches absolutely love Nash and his style of play.

Neither Nelson nor D'antoni stress defense in any way. They are the same freaking coach. The only difference is Nelson has about 1000 more wins.

Gimmicky! Both of them are gimmick coaches who like to exploit offensive matchups to the detriment of their defense!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #15
MavsPoke

Double post. Forgive me, it's a new board!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: