Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 06-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #16
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsPoke
Not playing a center. Coaching your players not to contest shots at the rim, so you can get the ball out of the hoop and run.

That's not a gimmick????

D'antoni has a few years to go before he is even at Nelson's level as a coach. But they are eerilly similar. Nelson quit the Mavs and retired after D'antoni implored the Suns ownership to overpay Nash. Both coaches absolutely love Nash and his style of play.

Neither Nelson nor D'antoni stress defense in any way. They are the same freaking coach. The only difference is Nelson has about 1000 more wins.

Gimmicky! Both of them are gimmick coaches who like to exploit offensive matchups to the detriment of their defense!

You have a point, and don't get so defensive about Don Nelson. I wasn't bagging on the guy. Take a chill pill bro, nor am I putting Mike ahead of Nelson on the coaching ranks. Remember, Mike has been a coach for like 4 years.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #17
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahungry
Seeing as how Don Nelson & D'Antoni are similar, a question comes to mind. If you put Avery Johnson @ the helm of the Sun with the current 2006 play-off roster for an entire season, is he able to do the same as he did in Dallas? Can this Suns team buy into a more defensive mind set?

That's really hard to say. Here's why. The Suns were playing pretty decent defense until Kurt went down.

They showed a stat towards the end of the season about this very fact. When Kurt was playing, the Suns were giving up 101 ppg. Not that great, but the way the Suns play, not that bad either. Also, opponents were shooting 41% pre Kurt injury. After, that had shot up to 49%, and the team barely played over .500 ball.

The Suns were actually playing good team defense, so a lot of the answer to your question depends on who the Suns have available. I think Avery could make a difference on D, but I don't think he'd help on offense that much. The players the Suns have were brought in for this system.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #18
pizzahungry
Can barely lace up my sneakers

pizzahungry has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
That's really hard to say. Here's why. The Suns were playing pretty decent defense until Kurt went down.

They showed a stat towards the end of the season about this very fact. When Kurt was playing, the Suns were giving up 101 ppg. Not that great, but the way the Suns play, not that bad either. Also, opponents were shooting 41% pre Kurt injury. After, that had shot up to 49%, and the team barely played over .500 ball.

The Suns were actually playing good team defense, so a lot of the answer to your question depends on who the Suns have available. I think Avery could make a difference on D, but I don't think he'd help on offense that much. The players the Suns have were brought in for this system.

good catch on the point differential. i look @ those #'s too. i agree with your analysis. i think AJ could have very well helped on the defensive, but not to the point that he took dallas too because of personnel. (missing amare & thomas really hurts on that side of the floor.)
pizzahungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:45 AM   #19
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahungry
good catch on the point differential. i look @ those #'s too. i agree with your analysis. i think AJ could have very well helped on the defensive, but not to the point that he took dallas too because of personnel. (missing amare & thomas really hurts on that side of the floor.)

Yeah, I think the Suns had one of the highest point differentials in the league behind Detroit, if I remember correctly before Kurt went down.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 AM   #20
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

D'Antoni plays no centre because he has no centre. Are you saying he should play Pat Burke just because he was the only healthy centre on the roster?

Nelson had centres, he just didn't use them properly. D'Antoni has NEVER had a centre to work with other then Kurt Thomas, and he was playing Kurt Thomas and the team was doing awesome at the start of the year. We all know what happened to the Suns after Kurt was injured.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:52 AM   #21
MavsPoke
High School Varsity 6th Man

MavsPoke has decent reputationMavsPoke has decent reputation

At times, I didn't think the Suns were that bad defensively against the Mavs. They are soooo freaking atheletic. When they showed effort at the defensive end, they gave the Mavs fits at times.

If Avery was the Suns coach, they would have been a much better defensive team. I think they have the personel to be a middle of the road defensive team. With their injuires, that was impossible.

I think D'antoni got about all you could out of his team. I think they overachieved this year. I didn't think they could beat a very well balanced Clipper team. I thought they should have rolled the pathetic Laker team.

I thought the Mavs would beat them in 6 and they did.

So if you look at the coaching as how much did he get out of his team and the cards dealt to him, D'antoni did a great job this year. I just don't think after watching his style for so many years in Dallas, he will ever be a top coach in the league.

I will say however that personel wise, the Suns are hands down wayyyyyyyyyyyy more atheletic than the Mavs teams ever were, and thay may be the one thing that D'antoni has over Nelson. He has gotten players that are atheletic freaks to play his style and with Amare leading the way, he may be the one coach to play run-and-gun and win a championship. We will see. When Nash declines, and that should be soon, thier style won't be as effective anymore. Amare or no Amare, without Nash, D'antoni's system suffers.
MavsPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #22
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsPoke
without Nash, D'antoni's system suffers.

i said the same thing to a friend of mine. but he reminded me that the Mavs would suffer as well when nash left. when AJ took over the reins last year he still managed a 16-2 record running dalls under the same offense taht don nelson left with. i found this to be an amazing stat b/c nellie & AJ were able to adjust the gameplan & still be successful (mind you J Terry did a hell of a job). i believe that D'antoni is a talented to still have the same kind of success with the same system if Nash were not the catalyst on the offense. (although the regular season record w/o nash does not back me up. i think that if D'antoni was ever faced with a long term absence with out Nash then he could survive.)
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #23
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Avery is easily one of the top 5 coaches in the league.

He looks like he might be one of the all time greats.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 AM   #24
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
Well, the system is his, but he gives his players complete freedom in that system. I would put him in the top 5 or 6, because he finds roles for players that help them excell.

yea Dantoni is a great coach:p

Run RUn Run Run Run

nice plan
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #25
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
Avery is easily one of the top 5 coaches in the league.

He looks like he might be one of the all time greats.

my brother & i were thinking that maybe he can become that hump coach. the guy who can take a really good team into the championship level. it is too early to tell of course. but man the way he has dirk playingc plus damp & stack you have to think that you are watching something special.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:33 AM   #26
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

One of the most important things about coaching is demanding respect. And its amazing how he's gets as much respect from his team as any coach in the league at only the age of 40. He's able to adjust to his talent, and more important willing to do it. Has gotten a defensive minded team on a team full of offensive players and one of the best defenses mind you.

He's definately one of the best coaches in the league.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:39 AM   #27
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

There are a few select coaches that are best by default, they earn that from their whole resume, their age, their success, the way they carry themselves etc.
Pat Riley and Phil Jackson are like that. Gregg Popovich as well. Larry Brown no more, he has finally shown he aint that great of a coach with his job in NY. I think begin PR, PJ and GP, the rankings are wide open.

Avery sure has shown he will be an awesome coach for years to come. He has shown he can transition a team, that he can make the right adjustements come playoff time. If he can show that for an extended period of time, he can be on of the best.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #28
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

With Avery, its all about being part of the "family". Sounds corny, but it works. When you make a player feel like a part of something special, they respond. I would say that team bonding and creating a good environment is definitely one of best skills.

I agree that he could become one of the all-time greats.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #29
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids has a bad reputationSupermanOnSteroids has a bad reputationSupermanOnSteroids has a bad reputation

avery johnson's head on josh howard's body.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #30
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default AJ gonna be a rich man now.

Quote:
Win would lock in millions in future incentives for Avery

11:18 PM CDT on Friday, June 2, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

This could be the biggest night in Mavericks' history, which would make it pretty large for coach Avery Johnson, too.

If the Mavericks reach the NBA Finals, it will complete the bonus structure that was built into the contract Johnson signed with the Mavericks late last season.

The deal gave Johnson three years guaranteed as coach and paid him about $2.5 million this season.

But if the Mavericks make the NBA Finals, the fourth season on Johnson's contract believed to be in the $5-million neighborhood would become guaranteed. In addition, all his bonus incentives for this year and the next two seasons would be met.

"What Avery's done is prove again just how important coaching is in the NBA," said Tony Dutt, who was Johnson's agent in his playing days and still works for him as a consultant. "Avery has really done a wonderful job and it couldn't happen to a better person."

Johnson's contract, of course, is the last thing on his mind. Foremost is closing out the Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference finals, which the Mavericks can do tonight in Phoenix.

"I have a lifetime contract with Mark Cuban," was Johnson's only comment when asked about the contract.

Cuban has said numerous times that the organization trusts Johnson implicitly as coach and has applauded "The General" for implementing a system that is less vulnerable to the variables that often crop up in the league.

worth every penny
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: