Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Ever gear of the Five-second closely guarded violation used in the NBA?

Quote:
Five-second closely guarded violation
A five second closely guarded violation occurs if, a player with the ball is guarded closely for five seconds. For men's college basketball, to be considered closely guarded, a defender must be guarding a player who is located in the frontcourt and within six (6) feet of the player.[2] The count applies to a player holding or dribbling the ball. This allows for multiple closely guarded counts to occur. Women's college basketball requires the defender to be within three (3) feet and can be anywhere on the playing court but only applies to a player holding the ball.[3] A count ends whenever the player with the ball gets his head and shoulders past the defender, the defender is no longer within the required distance, the same defender does not continuously closely guard the player in control of the ball, or another opponent is between the defender and the ball.[4]

High school rules mimic men's college basketball's closely guarded rule. A defender must be guarding the player in control of the ball, in the frontcourt, and must be within six feet of the player. A player may be holding or dribbling the ball. If a defensive teammates switch, and both are within six feet of the player in control of the ball, the same count is continued.

Under FIBA rules, a defender must be within one meter of a player holding the ball and must be in an active guarding position.[5] This count can occur anywhere on the playing court.

The NBA doesnt have one now...but it used to. It was jump ball back in the day and a turnover from 1983 until....not sure when. Removing it is supposedly its part of the reason ball movement and quick shooting has declined so much.

One of many little rules it seems people forget about. Like the 3 shots to make 2 FTs thing....

Id like to see 5 second violations in halfcourt ball on the NBa level in one or two games. See what people do when they cant isolate and stare at the rim for 8 seconds jab stepping.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Ever gear of the Five-second closely guarded violation used in the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Id like to see 5 second violations in halfcourt ball on the NBa level in one or two games. See what people do when they cant isolate and stare at the rim for 8 seconds jab stepping.

Me too.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: Ever gear of the Five-second closely guarded violation used in the NBA?

One of the many things that made play so much faster with al ot of off the ball movement in years past. Plus with so few outside shots being taken defenses played so close to the rime you had to score quickly or end up trying to penetrate a wall.

Lot of little things played into the higher scoring that get overlooked.

I do wonder how often it was called though. I played Hs ball and never saw it called once. And we had a gang of wanna be jordans trying to isolate and go one on one. Should have been called every 5 or 6 posessions.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Bladers
Banned

Quote:
A five second closely guarded violation occurs if, a player with the ball is guarded closely for five seconds.

I have always said, the rules of the past had made playing defense difficult.
Guys like Jordan won't be able to last in today's league.

I don't believe Jordan in his prime would crack 31ppg in today's league.
The league back then was so diluted.
Bladers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

It wasnt a rule to prevent tough d. It was a rule to prevent standing around. It was a violation on the offense not the d. It kept you from facing up for over 5 seconds like guys cant back down for 5 now. Its a rule that would hurt one on one scorers not help. Besides im not sure when it ended so i cant say how long jordan dealt with it
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
TheLogo
Banned

I remember that rule.

They should bring it back.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g jail broken with swipe
TheLogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Bladers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
It wasnt a rule to prevent tough d. It was a rule to prevent standing around. It was a violation on the offense not the d. It kept you from facing up for over 5 seconds like guys cant back down for 5 now. Its a rule that would hurt one on one scorers not help. Besides im not sure when it ended so i cant say how long jordan dealt with it

I wasn't talking about that rule specifically.
Anyway the rule is for the back court, kinda like the 8 seconds violation. (Nevermind, its in the half court)
It was pretty much a useless rule.

The back to the basket 5 seconds violation is still in effect today. I remember they called that on Rondo in that miami game.

Last edited by Bladers : 08-26-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Bladers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladers
I have always said, the rules of the past had made playing defense difficult.
Guys like Jordan won't be able to last in today's league.

I don't believe Jordan in his prime would crack 31ppg in today's league.
The league back then was so diluted.

Meh, Kobe couldn't even crack the starting five when Jordan played.

The rule would be interesting though. No doubt you'd see more ball movement.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
TheLogo
Banned

The 5 second rule was to reward the defense for good defense.

The offensive players can still dribble but if can't go anywhere or do anything else it's a turnover.

Something similar to that is when Kobe was covering Jason Terry with that glue like defense. That would have been a turnover.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g jail broken with swipe
TheLogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

LeBron would be so screwed if that came back.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Any player that still operates from the mid range would be affected: Melo, Kobe, Pierce, LeBron, etc
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: