Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
cteach111
National High School Star

cteach111 has an OK reputation so far
Default Better Defender on 1st 3-peat Bulls: Jordan or Pippen?

??
cteach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
TheLogo
Banned

TheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Better Defender on 1st 3-peat Bulls: Jordan or Pippen?

Pippen.

He usually was guarding the opposing team's best player.
TheLogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
rodman91
Bulls

rodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputation

Jordan but close one.They were both great at one on one defense, jordan was greater at reading pass lines,stripping the ball and weak side blocks.

Pippen had longer arms and slightly height advantage though.
rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo
Pippen.

No he wasn't. Stop spewing this bulls*it.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
TheLogo
Banned

TheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTheLogo has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
No he wasn't. Stop spewing this bulls*it.

you must be too young to even watch the Bulls or just started watching basketball.

Phil Jackson always puts his star players on another guy, to save them for offense. This thing about having someone cover the best guy, so Kobe can save it for offense, came from him doing that with Jordan.

Why do you think that Pippen was covering Kobe when they were playing the Bulls most of the time? Why didn't they put MJ on him?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman91
Jordan but close one.They were both great at one on one defense, jordan was greater at reading pass lines,stripping the ball and weak side blocks.

Pippen had longer arms and slightly height advantage though.

I agree. I'd give Jordan a slight edge during the first three-peat and Pippen a slight edge during the 2nd three-peat but you can't really go wrong with either one.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
NugzHeat3
Local High School Star

NugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation here

I'll say this.

If I had to defend a PG (any type) for a game or the course of a series, I'd take first three-peat Jordan over everybody else.

He had the size to not get bullied in the post (except the 1991 finals where Magic abused him), unreal foot speed and lateral movement to keep up with those speed demons, the ability to anticipate their movements and the size to contest jumpshots. MJ could cheat and recover at a extremely high level.

It was amazing how a guy his size could stay with guys much lighter and quicker than him.

He's flatout shut down guys like Tim Hardaway, Kevin Johnson and Mark Price who were some of the best PGs back then.

Also, Jordan was voted the best defender in the league in 1993 by the coaches. It's a load of trash because Hakeem/Robinson were obviously better and I feel the coaches probably felt the need to pick Jordan because they picked Hakeem as the MVP but still, it shows Jordan's defense had huge rep around the league.
NugzHeat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
TheLogo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
I'll say this.

If I had to defend a PG (any type) for a game or the course of a series, I'd take first three-peat Jordan over everybody else.

He had the size to not get bullied in the post (except the 1991 finals where Magic abused him), unreal foot speed and lateral movement to keep up with those speed demons, the ability to anticipate their movements and the size to contest jumpshots. MJ could cheat and recover at a extremely high level.

It was amazing how a guy his size could stay with guys much lighter and quicker than him.

He's flatout shut down guys like Tim Hardaway, Kevin Johnson and Mark Price who were some of the best PGs back then.

Also, Jordan was voted the best defender in the league in 1993 by the coaches. It's a load of trash because Hakeem/Robinson were obviously better and I feel the coaches probably felt the need to pick Jordan because they picked Hakeem as the MVP but still, it shows Jordan's defense had huge rep around the league.

So MJ gets a pass on reputation....and I don't mean to bring Kobe up on this thread, but why is he knocked for reputation.

Anyways, the point is, I believe Pippen was the better defender.

Don't let Jordan's number being retired in Miami fool you. He didn't play for Miami.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
cteach111
National High School Star

cteach111 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
you must be too young to even watch the Bulls or just started watching basketball.

Phil Jackson always puts his star players on another guy, to save them for offense. This thing about having someone cover the best guy, so Kobe can save it for offense, came from him doing that with Jordan.

Why do you think that Pippen was covering Kobe when they were playing the Bulls most of the time? Why didn't they put MJ on him?

Kobe was around in the early 90s? Coulda fooled me.
cteach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:

Right cause Kobe was a superstar when Jordan was still playing on the Bulls. And you say I'm young?

Kobe saved his energy on offense cause he had to because he didn't have the stamina Jordan did. He didn't get that from doing it with Jordan. Its not like it was some absurd idea.

Its been proven time and time again that Jordan primarily guarded Magic in the 91 Finals despite the revisionist history. He guarded Drexler in the 92 Finals. He always guarded Reggie when they played. He always guarded Joe Dumars when they played. He always guarded Mitch Richmond when they played. Jordan guarded his position and Pippen guarded his position minus a few exceptions.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
NugzHeat3
Local High School Star

NugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
So MJ gets a pass on reputation....and I don't mean to bring Kobe up on this thread, but why is he knocked for reputation.

Anyways, the point is, I believe Pippen was the better defender.

Don't let Jordan's number being retired in Miami fool you. He didn't play for Miami.

I don't give a flying **** about Jordan.

I think his second three-peat is overrated and I never liked him as a player so don't count me as someone who's fooled by his achievements.
NugzHeat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year

OldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Pippen.

No, he wasn't. Pippen defended SF's save for 3 exceptions in the 9 full seasons he and MJ played together. So if the best player happened to be a SF, yes, Pippen likely took him (though MJ switched onto some SF's if they were going off on Pippen, which was rare - e.g., Jordan switched onto Mullin in the second half one game and blanked him after he had a great first half against Pip). If the best player was a SG, combo guard, or occasionally a PG, Jordan took them.

Jordan was the better defender through his first retirement, though the gap was not large by 1993. MJ finished second in DPOY voting in 1993, and was voted DPOY in '93 by the coaches. Jerry West called him the best defensive player in the league that year; Phil Jackson during MJ's retirement called him "the greatest defensive player of his generation. MJ > Pip in terms of defensive impact until he retired in 1993, and then Pip > MJ in '96-'98. It's also arguable (but not clear) that Pippen's defensive peak ('94/'95) was higher than Jordan's ('90/'91 imo).

Last edited by OldSchoolBBall : 08-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

LBJFTW has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
No, he wasn't. Pippen defended SF's save for 3 exceptions in the 9 full seasons he and MJ played together. So if the best player happened to be a SF, yes, Pippen likely took him (though MJ switched onto some SF's if they were going off on Pippen, which was rare - e.g., Jordan switched onto Mullin in the second half one game and blanked him after he had a great first half against Pip). If the best player was a SG, combo guard, or occasionally a PG, Jordan took them.

Jordan was the beter defender through his first retirement, though the gap was not large by 1993. MJ finished second in DPOY voting in 1993, and was voted DPOY in '93 by the coaches. Jerry West called him the best defensive player in the league that year; Phil Jackson during MJ's retirement called him "the greatest defensive player of his generation. MJ > Pip in terms of defensive impact until he retired in 1993, and then Pip > MJ in '96-'98. It's also arguable (but not clear) that Pippen's defensive peak ('94/'95) was higher than Jordan's ('90/'91 imo).

Agreed. And since Kobe just HAD to be mentioned in this thread.....

Jordan > Pippen > Kobe
LBJFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

This one is tough. They both guarded Magic in the Bulls first NBA Finals. The Blazers, Jordan was guarding Clyde. Pippen was guarding Jerome Kersey. I think Jordan had the tougher assignment. You get to the Suns. They both guarded Dan Marjerle. I would give Jordan the edge in the end.

Last edited by JellyBean : 08-24-2011 at 07:40 PM.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
ThaSwagg3r

Quote:
Pippen.

Jordan was the one that guarded Drexler in the '92 Finals and Drexler shot 41% in that series.

Understand your history....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: