Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
NBA4EVER

Default Tips on how I can be able to dunk

I've always been able to jump pretty high for my size. I'm 5'9 and can touch the rim...can't grab it yet but very very close

People have always been telling me how high I can jump and I wanna be able to take what people are saying to me and use it as motivation for myself to work out enough to the point to where i'll be able to dunk a basketball.

I believe if I was 5'11 that I would probably be able to dunk a basketball. I'm white too by the way.

Basketball season starts in about 2 months and was wondering if anybody knew of any tips of how I could be able to at least be able to grab rim by the time season starts.

Thanks
NBA4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
ClutchBucketz
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Tips on how I can be able to dunk

Plyo's, you could probably jump into a program like Vert Jump Bible and in two months you would see improvement. Alternatively you can just get there through straight up repetition.. Jump and touch rim or as high as you can repeatedly until you're done, take a rest and keep going.. Nothing can simulate the exertion you need to apply like trying to dunk continually
ClutchBucketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Even if you stuck with what it would take to do it... which most people don't... you probably still would never get there. touching rim at 5'9 is no big deal really unless your reach is really shitty. Your vert probably isn't that great at all. just keepin it real man.

A program like VJB would be good tho. you don't need to overwork yourself, just give maximum effort when you do... that goes when you play bball, lift weights, and plyos. the act of jumping is split second explosiveness so that's how you need to train.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA4EVER
I've always been able to jump pretty high for my size. I'm 5'9 and can touch the rim...can't grab it yet but very very close

I believe if I was 5'11 that I would probably be able to dunk a basketball. I'm white too by the way.

Basketball season starts in about 2 months and was wondering if anybody knew of any tips of how I could be able to at least be able to grab rim by the time season starts.

Thanks

What do you do in the weight room? Squats, dealifts and power cleans will build the strenght and plyo's like box jumps, and lunge jumps will help you build explosiveness.

Check out these workouts

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...7F-mcd02.hydra

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...the_glute_myth

I don't know why you posted that your white, that has very little to do with anything. There are plenty of white guys out there that can jump (jacob tucker) and black guys who can't. Don't make excuses, you have a long ways to go but with hard work its possible.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Instead of worrying about dunking..why not work on your jump shot, improve your range, work on your handles, any weakness you may have. Dunking is two points just like a lay up.
There are some exercises that can help you jump a little better. Some of the great athletes are just born with the ability. Good luck.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Big164
11/13

The most effective strategy is to practice on a rim thats too damn high or at least higher than the one you play on.

I usually practice at the park on an old 10'1 rim that angles upward making it about 10'2. I throw missed dunks constantly until my legs are dead sore.

I relax for a day and when I get back to a regular 10 foot Im flying over everybody.
Big164 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: