Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Default Andre Drummond to play for UConn this upcoming season

Andre Drummond announced on twitter that he will be heading to uconn this fall, ending one of the more dramatic recruiting sagas of recent years

He graduated high school this past spring, but had planned on going to prep school for another year and playing college ball in 2012/13 or, as many speculated, entering the 2012 nba draft. but he announced that he has changed those plans and will be a husky this fall.

Quote:
Husky fam welcome me cause I'm coming this year!!

Quote:
It's official I'm heading to the university of connecticut to be a husky this year! Do I hear #repeat #huskyfam @aoriakhi34

- both from his twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/AndreDrummond03

so what does this mean for this upcoming season? does this catapult uconn up into the top couple elite teams (north carolina, uk, and ohio state)?, or is drummond still too raw to have as big an impact as his high ranking indicate?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Grinder

Default Re: Andre Drummond to play for uconn this upcoming season

Wow! Huge decision. UConn looks stacked. Drummond's a lock or a top 10 pick as long as he doesn't make a disaster out of this season.

Shabazz Napier
Jeremy Lamb
Jamaal Coombs McDaniel
Alex Oriakhi
Andre Drummond

Omar Calhoun, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander, and Roscoe Smith off the bench. Damn. Looks like another lock for preseason top 10.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
ukfan22
High school junior varsity star

They just joined the UNC/UK tier.

Is it for sure he'll qualify?
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Believe it when I see it.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
Clippersfan86
Banned

So he's available for 2012 NBA draft? Let's get em Clips!
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Wow! Huge decision. UConn looks stacked. Drummond's a lock or a top 10 pick as long as he doesn't make a disaster out of this season.

Shabazz Napier
Jeremy Lamb
Jamaal Coombs McDaniel
Alex Oriakhi
Andre Drummond

Omar Calhoun, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander, and Roscoe Smith off the bench. Damn. Looks like another lock for preseason top 10.
Coombs-Daniel transferred. Calhoun is next year.

Real roster:

Napier/Boatright
Lamb/Giffey
Smith/Daniels
Oriakhi/Olander
Drummond/Bradley

And Lebowski, Drummond was always a part of the 2011 class but his former high school coach wanted him to stay another year and be a member of the 2012 class... Olander could take walk-on status to make this work.

UConn is now the best team in the Big East.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: Andre Drummond to play for UConn this upcoming season

I'm not talking about scholarship availability or anything, don't know anything about UConn there. I just think the kid's gonna try and go pro. Think Mitch McGary might too. All depends on the lockout.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I'm not talking about scholarship availability or anything, don't know anything about UConn there. I just think the kid's gonna try and go pro. Think Mitch McGary might too. All depends on the lockout.

What's the point of skipping college either way? He' not eligible to play in the NBA till the 2012 draft which is after the college season ends. He'll get to play against superior competition while still likely being a top 5 pick. Mitch McGary is a different case because he'll be one year out of high school by the time the draft rolls around and hasn't shown any indications of reclassifying into the 2011 class, so it might make sense for him to go straight to the pros if he's a first rounder rather than go to college and be a 20 year old freshman.

Drummond and Oriakhi might be the best PF/C duo in college basketball. I'd love to see them go up against Zeller/Henson/McAdoo
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
chips93
Very good NBA starter

the story got picked up by espn

http://espn.go.com/boston/ncb/story/...-uconn-huskies

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...nt-connecticut

Quote:
With Connecticut out of scholarships, sources have told CBSSports.com that Drummond could become a walk-on and pay his own way this year.
-http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/31570752

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I just think the kid's gonna try and go pro.

but why do you think he cant do both?

Last edited by chips93 : 08-27-2011 at 11:15 AM.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan22

Is it for sure he'll qualify?

they're the defending champs...
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
JellyBean
College superstar

We are now very dangerous. Can we compete for the NCAA title? Maybe. It all depends on the chemistry between the old and the new players. Plus if folks buy into the "we" instead of the "me".

Go, Huskies!!
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
they're the defending champs...
And? That means nothing for this upcoming season after they lost the heart and soul of their team. We're not talking about last year.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan22

Maybe, but I'm a little skeptical. I don't think many people realize just how much Kemba Walker meant to that team last year. UConn will be talented but I really think without Kemba's leadership they won't be able to stack-up with UNC and Kentucky. Of course Drummond could come in and be as good as he's been touted and losing Kemba won't matter.

They are a close #3 in my opinion, though, with more than enough potential to be in the UNC/Kentucky class. I think they are closer to the UNC/Kentucky group than to the Ohio State singular group.

Last edited by KG215 : 08-29-2011 at 06:33 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Maybe, but I'm a little skeptical. I don't think many people realize just how much Kemba Walker meant to that team last year. UConn will be talented but I really think without Kemba's leadership they won't be able to stack-up with UNC and Kentucky. Of course Drummond could come in and be as good as he's been touted and losing Kemba won't matter.

They are a close #3 in my opinion, though, with more than enough potential to be in the UNC/Kentucky class. I think they are closer to the UNC/Kentucky group than to the Ohio State singular group.

I disagree, I think UConn is firmly in that group with UNC & Kentucky.

The biggest thing people are leaving out when talking about UConn this season is the experience their freshmen Lamb and Napier got last season playing big minutes. A lot more is going to be expected of Lamb at SG, while Napier is going to have to handle running that offense unless Boatwright beats him out.

Either way this is their frontcourt:
SF- Deandre Daniels/Roscoe Smith
PF- Alex Oriakhi
C- Drummond

A lot of people are underrating Drummond & Daniels. Daniels was a huge get because I've seen him play before, while most wrote him off because he played a prep school year last year. He was once a 5* recruit headed to Texas. The guy can score.

Drummond is on a whole nother level. He is a manchild. This dude is so agile/strong getting to the basket, and Calhoun is the coach to get him to focus on playing harder. It seems like he would rather adjust for layups instead of just going "hard in the mother****in paint". #1 pick in 2012 NBA Draft for sure.

Of course they'll miss Kemba, but Kemba's scoring load is going to be balanced out amongst Lamb, Daniels, Oriakhi, & Drummond. Lamb, Daniels, & Drummond I each expect to be 1st Round picks anyways.

You can only go so far with a freshman carrying you as proven in the past 4 years, but there is hope for UConn to make another Final 4/Elite 8 as Calhoun goes out.

I feel the same for Kentucky. They've got the talent to get to the Final 4/Elite 8, but its gonna be all about who is their "star" that shines the brightest. There are 4 Lottery Picks on this team, & Lamb & is a 1st Rounder too. John Calamari goes out with a bang and joins the LA Clippers.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
I disagree, I think UConn is firmly in that group with UNC & Kentucky.

The biggest thing people are leaving out when talking about UConn this season is the experience their freshmen Lamb and Napier got last season playing big minutes. A lot more is going to be expected of Lamb at SG, while Napier is going to have to handle running that offense unless Boatwright beats him out.

Either way this is their frontcourt:
SF- Deandre Daniels/Roscoe Smith
PF- Alex Oriakhi
C- Drummond

A lot of people are underrating Drummond & Daniels. Daniels was a huge get because I've seen him play before, while most wrote him off because he played a prep school year last year. He was once a 5* recruit headed to Texas. The guy can score.

Drummond is on a whole nother level. He is a manchild. This dude is so agile/strong getting to the basket, and Calhoun is the coach to get him to focus on playing harder. It seems like he would rather adjust for layups instead of just going "hard in the mother****in paint". #1 pick in 2012 NBA Draft for sure.

Of course they'll miss Kemba, but Kemba's scoring load is going to be balanced out amongst Lamb, Daniels, Oriakhi, & Drummond. Lamb, Daniels, & Drummond I each expect to be 1st Round picks anyways.

You can only go so far with a freshman carrying you as proven in the past 4 years, but there is hope for UConn to make another Final 4/Elite 8 as Calhoun goes out.

I feel the same for Kentucky. They've got the talent to get to the Final 4/Elite 8, but its gonna be all about who is their "star" that shines the brightest. There are 4 Lottery Picks on this team, & Lamb & is a 1st Rounder too. John Calamari goes out with a bang and joins the LA Clippers.

I don't disagree. I'm just always a little skeptical about teams who are going to rely heavily on a lot of freshmen and sophomores to carry them. Fortunately for UConn their best returning players who will be sophomores have a national championship under their belt in which they were contributors to varying degrees. Oriakhi will be a junior, I believe, won't he?

Anyway, I feel like I've been hearing about Drummond as the next great big-man prospect for three or four years now. I'm excited to see if he can live up to the hype. I thought he was supposed to be the next great back-to-the-basket big but apparently he's more in the Amar'e/KG mold of a 6'10" athletic freak face-up big; which is fine, because if he's as talented and can perform up to the level he's been been hyped up to, then he should put UConn in the UNC/Kentucky group. I'm still going to remain a little skeptical, though, until I see them play at least 10-15 games without Kemba. I know about DeAndre Daniels and how talented and good he can and is supposed to be, but didn't he reclassify? I'm always weary of those guys because we've seen some struggle quite a bit their freshman year, even the elite ones. Of course Daniels may be different and, if he is, then UConn may enter February and/or March as the national title favorites.

Of course if I'm skeptical about UConn then I guess I should be skeptical about Kentucky, too, since they are going to be relying quite a bit on freshmen. I know they also have some key contributors from a year ago returning.

Essentially what I'm saying is that I'm not as quick to get as excited about teams with unproven commodities who the media and fans are hyping up to be someone that can come in and make their team instant national title contenders/favorites. Even if they are bringing in three or four such players like a Kentucky, I'm going to remain a little skeptical until I see them perform multiple times in high-pressure games/situations. Unfortunately we have to wait until at least February more times than not to see how that will play out.

And yes, I am a North Carolina fan so I'm am slightly biased towards them this year. But, unlike Kentucky and UConn their entire starting five returns and their sixth man is a junior. The loss of Leslie McDonald does hurt, but I feel that Reggie Bullock will fill that role just fine, and P.J. Hairston will fill whatever role Bullock was going to be responsible for prior to McDonald going down for the season.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: