Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Philadelphia 76ers draft Nikola Vucevic and Lavoy Allen in 2011 NBA Draft

The Philadelphia 76ers announced tonight that they have selected forward/center Nikola Vucevic with the 16th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft and forward Lavoy Allen with the 50th overall pick. Vucevic was an early entry candidate following his junior season at USC while Allen completed his senior season at Temple.

Vucevic (7-0, 240) averaged 17.1 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.4 blocks for the Trojans last season while shooting 50.5% from the floor, 75.5% from the line and 34.9% from 3-point range. He was named All-Pac-10 First Team and FOXSports.com All-America Fourth Team and was the Pac-10ís Most Improved Player in 2009-10.

This past season, Vucevic ranked first in the Pac-10 in rebounding, third in points and fourth in blocks. He posted 22 double-doubles in 34 games played, which was the fifth-most in the country. Vucevic was the first Trojan to average a double-double since 1994-95 and was the first player in school history to capture the Pac-10 rebounding title in consecutive seasons (2009-10 and 2010-11).

The 20-year-old was born in Switzerland and raised in Belgium where his father, Borislav, was playing professional basketball. His father played professionally for 24 years and was a member of the Yugoslavian national team. Nikolaís mother was also a professional basketball player in Bosnia. Vucevicís family moved to Montenegro when Nikola was a teenager and he represented Montenegro at the 2009 U-20 European Championship. Prior to enrolling at USC, Nikola attended a year of prep school in California.

Allen (6-9, 225) averaged 11.5 points, 8.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.8 blocks for the Owls last season while shooting 48.0% from the floor and 69.7% from the line. He was named first team All-Atlantic 10 for the second straight season and to the conferenceís all-defensive team for the third time.

The 22-year-old leaves Temple as the schoolís all-time leading rebounder (1,147) and ranks third in blocks (213). As a junior, Allen became the first Temple player to average a double-double since Ollie Johnson in 1970-71. Allen was born in Morrisville, Pa. and attended Pennsbury High School.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
pgm
I hit open layups

Default Re: Philadelphia 76ers draft Nikola Vucevic and Lavoy Allen in 2011 NBA Draft

Vucevic is a slight upgrade over Hawes. He has a longer wing span, better post moves, more range on his shot and is a better rebounder. That said, he's just as unathletic and won't do much for interior defense and little for rebounding. It was a solid pick considering where they were drafting and how weak the draft was.
pgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Philadelphia 76ers draft Nikola Vucevic and Lavoy Allen in 2011 NBA Draft

I dont get the Lavoy Allen pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm
Vucevic is a slight upgrade over Hawes. He has a longer wing span, better post moves, more range on his shot and is a better rebounder. That said, he's just as unathletic and won't do much for interior defense and little for rebounding. It was a solid pick considering where they were drafting and how weak the draft was.

You listed things Vecevic does better and label that as "slight upgrade". I found that funny given there is nothing listed that Hawes does better. And how does he do little for rebounding given his performance on the glass? Saying he does little for rebounding is wrong.

Last edited by GOBB : 06-28-2011 at 04:39 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
artificial
:-P

Solid pick I guess. We needed size and he was there. Don't see any huge talent we missed. Maybe that kid Donatas Motiejunas, but considering how his draft stock plummeted from last years' draft, Vucevic sounds a safer pick.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I dont get the Lavoy Allen pick.
Who would you have picked? Guys that late have about a 1% chance of being on the active roster that season. You see often a team drafts a guy that late that's a hometown kid or played local college ball there. I mean we could say Isaiah Thomas or somebody since he was a much more talented college player but there's a reason he was so late in the draft.

Rick Jackson is only big I can think of I'd rather have and he went undrafted.

I remember a year or 2 ago I looked at all the 2nd round draft picks over the previous 5 years. Only like 25% of the 2nd round picks were still in the league after 3-4 years.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Who would you have picked? Guys that late have about a 1% chance of being on the active roster that season. You see often a team drafts a guy that late that's a hometown kid or played local college ball there. I mean we could say Isaiah Thomas or somebody since he was a much more talented college player but there's a reason he was so late in the draft.

Rick Jackson is only big I can think of I'd rather have and he went undrafted.

I remember a year or 2 ago I looked at all the 2nd round draft picks over the previous 5 years. Only like 25% of the 2nd round picks were still in the league after 3-4 years.

Rick Jackson or Greg Smith.

And sure the %'s arent great for 2nd rd picks being around in the NBA. But still, I'd like to roll the dice on someone who might. I was hoping the Sixers would move up a spot or two and go after Selby or Benson.

I think Lavoy is going to be apart of the % you took down on 2nd rd picks and how long they last in the league. Hopefully he proves me wrong and lasts like a recent hometown kid who went late 2nd rd Rasual Butler.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
pgm
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
You listed things Vecevic does better and label that as "slight upgrade". I found that funny given there is nothing listed that Hawes does better. And how does he do little for rebounding given his performance on the glass? Saying he does little for rebounding is wrong.

Well, we'll see. I'm basing it off of scouting reports. Anyway, he does all these things better than Hawes, but not necessarily by a huge margin.
pgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Grinder

Late in the 2nd round I would have loved to grab someone like David Lighty, Jamie Skeen, or a project like Jereme Richmond.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

bright future
JrueHoliday11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: