Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #61
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 220
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Notable Revis Island Classics from the last two seasons (chronological order):

A. Johnson: 4 rec, 35 yds, 0 TD
R. Moss: 4 rec, 24 yds, 0 TD
M. Colston: 2 rec, 33 yds, 0 TD
T. Owens: 3 rec, 13 yds, 0 TD
S. Smith: 1 rec, 5 yds, 0 TD
R. Moss: 5 rec, 34 yds, 1 TD
T. Owens: 3 rec, 31 yds, 0 TD
R. White: 4 rec, 33 yds, 0 TD
R. Wayne: 3 rec, 33 yds, 0 TD
C. Ochocinco: 0 rec, 0 yds, 0 TD
C. Ochocinco: 2 rec, 28 yds, 0 TD (AFC Wild Card)
V. Jackson: 0 rec 0 yds, 0 TD (AFC Divisional)
R. Wayne: 3 rec, 55 yds, 0 TD (AFC Championship)
C. Johnson: 1 rec, 13 yds, 0 TD
A. Johnson: 4 rec, 32 yds, 0 TD
T. Owens: 3 rec, 17 yds, 0 TD
B. Marshall: 2 rec, 16 yds, 1 TD
R. Wayne: 1 rec, 1 yds, 0 TD (AFC Wild Card)

These are the No. 1 1,000+ yard WRs who either crossed that mark during the same year or at worst, the season prior (I think )

Any Jets/Revis fans more than welcome to make corrections or additions. I don't care what VJax statline was for that game. He didn't catch a ball with Revis on him, nor did Antonio Gates for that matter. And I'm also sure Wayne didn't get 55 yards when the game was close. Swear to god he caught a ball for 30+ yards in garbage time. A big reason the Colts couldn't get going in the first half was due to Revis locking him down.

Obviously, he didn't have as many vintage games last year due to the hamstring issue and less marquee matchups on the schedule. In the playoffs, the Patriots didn't have a true No. 1 guy and I believe he covered Ward for most of the AFC Championship.

When I get a chance I've got to look up the targets for these games. The cool thing with Revis that you can't do with almost virtually any other CB who ever played football is even without watching the game, you can look at how the opposing team's best WR fared and know it was Revis on him 95% of the time. Can't do that with Nnamdi, Champ, or Prime. Certainly not Woodson, Lott, Blount, Haynes, et al. There are some exceptions such as the San Diego playoff game when he had dual responsibility for Jackson/Gates.

That's an unbelievable football player. I have no hope Patrick Peterson will ever be that dominant. And he hasn't played a single game yet. The degree of difficult to pull those types of stunts against the best receivers in football, every snap, week-after-week is completely mind boggling. Scary part is that once he actually got set, he was even more dominant at the end of last season than he was in 2009.

Looking Ahead This Year. Revis likely match ups:

Miles Austin
Mike Thomas
Darius Heyward-Bey
Anquan Boldin
Chad Ochocinco
Brandon Marshall
Vincent Jackson
Stevie Johnson
Chad Ochocinco
Brandon Lloyd
Stevie Johnson
Santana Moss
Dwayne Bowe
Desean Jackson
Hakeem Nicks
Brandon Marshall
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #62
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,997
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

What this dude did up here says it all for me. I think Nnamdi was a victim of a system with the Raiders that required him to stay on one side of the field a majority of the time. I think Revis playing all over the field against the best receiver puts him above all others. Charels Woodson would be the only other guy I can think of that did it successfully.

If my team the Jets ever get a pass rush man Revis Island would never get challenged.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was implied after his acquisition in Philly his role would expand.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #63
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 220
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Data Points Blog Entry:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/05/data...vis-vs-nnamdi/

Quote:
Who’s the best corner in the game? For years, Champ Bailey was the popular choice, and many fans still feel he is at or near the top. Over the last couple of seasons, Darrelle Revis has most often gotten the nod as the best pass defender in the NFL. Both players are discussed as potentially the best of this millennium in the Player 2K series.

So where does free agent Nnamdi Asomugha fit into this discussion?

Perhaps he should be at the top. Since 2008, when Revis first started getting recognized for his great play, Asomugha has been nearly unbeatable. Asomugha has been thrown at fewer than half as many times per game as both Bailey and Revis, while he’s giving up a measly 1.2 receptions per game over the last three seasons.

In case you’re wondering, Asomugha only allowed 13 balls to be caught on him in 2010.

Not really surprising. Revis sticks like glue to the other team's No. 1 and they try to get it to their guy regardless, hence more targets. Asomugha completely locks down one side of the field no matter who's there and they don't bother. From how they've used him in the preseason thanks to the article posted by StateProperty, it looks like he'll continue to play the right. Just can't imagine him not being used in a bigger capacity in January when it'll be a necessity to lock down the opposing No. 1 receiver, particularly if that happens to be the likes of White, Jennings, Megatron, Fitzgerald, Nicks, et al.

And yes, I do think it's a necessity these days to keep the No. 1s in check. For offenses like the Saints and Patriots who dont have a clear-cut guy (I suppose Colston fills that role for New Orleans) it becomes a little more complicated with their short yardage, equal opportunity passing attacks. Rodgers likes to spread it around quite a bit as well, but I can't help but feel how much better the Jets wouldve fared against Green Bay last year considering how Rodgers ripped through Pittsburgh's secondary. Jennings wouldve been eliminated by Revis rather than going for 2 scores. Cromartie would've handled Jones (or Jordy Nelson for christ sakes) on the otherside with a rolling safety if need be.
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #64
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Revis' reception per target % is lower than Nnamdi's every year has has been in the NFL, including his rookie year...

the year that Revis was glued on number 1s full time, 2009, he was amazingly the lowest % in the entire league...and if I remember correctly there were 50+ CBs above Nnamdi, who dispite only being thrown at 30 or so times still gave up around 20 of those targets or something...

I promise you that a lot of the reason Nnamdi was avoided in Oakland was for the simple fact he was in Oakland...teams will have to pass on Philly, he should get tested plenty this year...I look forward to seeing what happens...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #65
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 220
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Can't wait either. I'm not a fanboy for any player so I don't have a problem with facts. I have no problem calling Revis the best in the league, either. I pretty much made an enormous case for him in the above post. He's truly unique, and if he continues with this nonsense he might just go down as the GOAT. I honestly think Deion's dual ability to not only be a shutdown cover corner (albeit one side of the field) and bait QBs with his (4.07?) speed will keep him at the top. Most CBs would be dead in the water giving up that kind of space. Most great, even HOF CBs were great in coverage and got plenty of opportunities for INTs. Deion made his opportunities. His INT rate isn't due to QBs having no problem throwing his way like a lot of other all-time greats who weren't quite at that level as shutdown corners. Add in the fact that position has become increasingly difficult to play over the last couple of decades and yeah, 7-10 years from now Revis could be across from Deion on an All-Time 1st Team, maybe even sooner. He has the data to prove it.
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #66
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 220
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

With so little data available for pre-2001 players, they become much harder to compare and contrast. Accomplishments and how they were viewed in their time becomes much more important.

Here's a list of some notable CBs:

* Deion Sanders (94 DPOY, 8x Pro-Bowl, 6x All-Pro 1st, 2x All-Pro 2nd)
* Rod Woodson (93 DPOY, 7x Pro-Bowl, 5x All-Pro 1st, 0x All-Pro 2nd)
* Willie Brown (9x Pro-Bowl, 5x All-Pro 1st, 2x All-Pro 2nd)
* Night Train Lane (7x Pro-Bowl, 3x All-Pro 1st, 3x All-Pro 2nd)
* Mel Blount (75 DPOY, 5x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro 1st, 2x All-Pro 2nd)
* Charles Woodson (09 DPOY, 7x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro 1st, 3x All-Pro 2nd)
* Champ Bailey (10x Pro-Bowl, 3x All-Pro 1st, 3x All-Pro 2nd)
* Ronde Barber (5x Pro-Bowl, 3x All-Pro 1st, 1x All-Pro 2nd)
* Aeneas Williams (7x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro 1st, 2x All-Pro 2nd)
* Mike Haynes (9x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro 1st, 6x All-Pro 2nd)

* Darrelle Revis (3x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro 1st, 0x All-Pro 2nd)
* Nnamdi Asomugha (3x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro 1st, 2x All-Pro 2nd)

Lester Hayes also won DPOY at CB, but it was unfortunately the only time he could ever could crack AP-1 team, with just one other year on 2nd.

Charles Woodson had a brilliant season in 2009, but Revis was just too great to ignore. He should already have received his DPOY and now it'll be very difficult to get it, much like the seasons Derrick Thomas and DeMarcus Ware both put up 20 Sacks and didnt win. Yet, he's 26 entering 2011 and reasonably has four to five more years in his athletic prime. Injury risk is always there, but not too much standing in his way from racking up All-Pro accolades especially with his study and work habits. He's nearly matched everybody not named Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson and Willie Brown and he's played four seasons.
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #67
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
StateProperty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMore, MD
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

TAC are you from Arizona or just a Cardinals fan? Just asking. Didn't know Cardinals fans knew so much about, you know, football. You're a good read. Great addition to the forum.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #68
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,464
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Revis' reception per target % is lower than Nnamdi's every year has has been in the NFL, including his rookie year...

the year that Revis was glued on number 1s full time, 2009, he was amazingly the lowest % in the entire league...and if I remember correctly there were 50+ CBs above Nnamdi, who dispite only being thrown at 30 or so times still gave up around 20 of those targets or something...

I promise you that a lot of the reason Nnamdi was avoided in Oakland was for the simple fact he was in Oakland...teams will have to pass on Philly, he should get tested plenty this year...I look forward to seeing what happens...

And I promise you, you are wrong (as usual). I'll go by what Aso peers on opposing teams say before you.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #69
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
And I promise you, you are wrong (as usual). I'll go by what Aso peers on opposing teams say before you.
No that's not wrong and no one is even debating that part...Oakland doesn't get thrown at

Nnamdi himself acknowledges that he could see more action in Philly...



you want to avy bet that he gets more targets this year as an Eagle than any of the past 4 years in Jokeland?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #70
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
No that's not wrong and no one is even debating that part...Oakland doesn't get thrown at

Nnamdi himself acknowledges that he could see more action in Philly...



you want to avy bet that he gets more targets this year as an Eagle than any of the past 4 years in Jokeland?


Only primetime thinks its a big mystery why Nnamdi doesnt get thrown at... Its must be because he's in Oakland

everyone who isnt in denial knows why Nnamdi doesnt get thrown at... Its because his man is covered.... the game plan is to avoid nnamdi ......

there is no question mark about Nnamdi's skills or how good he is..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #71
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Only primetime thinks its a big mystery why Nnamdi doesnt get thrown at... Its must be because he's in Oakland

everyone who isnt in denial knows why Nnamdi doesnt get thrown at... Its because his man is covered.... the game plan is to avoid nnamdi ......

there is no question mark about Nnamdi's skills or how good he is..
mystery?...huh?

okay do YOU want to avy bet then?

I'm willing to put my avy where my posts are...


Nnamdi will get more targets as an Eagle this year than he has any of the past 4 years in Jokeland...

you think he will be ignored just the same on that team because he is so tightly glued?...THEN LET'S BET!!!
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #72
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Not many people doubt Nnamdi getting more attention as an Eagle than f*cking Raider...a team that has never seen a lead in 4 years

anyone that doubts that is free to try and take my avy from me...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #73
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,464
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Quote:
The former second-round draft pick from the University of Houston is coming off a breakthrough season, excelling in man-to-man coverage. He regained his starting job, intercepting two passes and deflected a career-high 15 passes.

Targeted 99 times, Routt only allowed 39.4 percent of those throws to be completed. It marked a major step forward after allowing 62.7 percent of passes thrown in his direction to be completed in previous seasons combined.

Last season, Routt's numbers were competitive with New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis (33.9 percent) as well as Raiders star cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha (39.4 percent).

Although four touchdowns and five pass interference penalties were attributed to Routt, he was targeted more than most cornerbacks around the league since teams tend to avoid throwing in Asomugha's direction.

Routt also recorded 55 tackles, forced a fumble and scored one touchdown while matching up with fast receivers like the Pittsburgh Steelers' Mike Wallace and the Kansas City Chiefs' Dwayne Bowe.

He finished the season with the lowest opponent quarterback ranking in the NFL and the second lowest completion percentage behind Revis.

Stanford Routt is the CB that played across from the untested 4 time NFL All Pro (2 time first team) Nnamdi Asomugha. No one throws on Oakland though. So Aso doesnt see passes because no one throws on them. They just run. But for the LIFE of me I cant explain why Routt accumilated the stats he did as a CB. NO ONE THROWS ON OAKLAND. NO ONE. EVERYONE, ME AND YOU YO COUSIN AND YO MAMA TOO KNOWS NO ONE THROWS ON OAKLAND.

So where the hell did those passing stats come from in Routts case and what are they saying?

Someone?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #74
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
StateProperty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMore, MD
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Stanford Routt is the CB that played across from the untested 4 time NFL All Pro (2 time first team) Nnamdi Asomugha. No one throws on Oakland though. So Aso doesnt see passes because no one throws on them. They just run. But for the LIFE of me I cant explain why Routt accumilated the stats he did as a CB. NO ONE THROWS ON OAKLAND. NO ONE. EVERYONE, ME AND YOU YO COUSIN AND YO MAMA TOO KNOWS NO ONE THROWS ON OAKLAND.

So where the hell did those passing stats come from in Routts case and what are they saying?

Someone?
Don't expect a logical answer.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #75
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Darrelle Revis vs. Nnamdi Asomugha

Yeah obviously opposite Nnamdi gets picked on cause Nnamdi IS great...

but Oakland has been the lest thrown on team in the past 5 years...FACTS ARE FACTS


teams will HAVE TO PASS ON PHILLY



AGAIN

if you would like to avy bet that he sees more targets this year in Philly than he has the past 4 years in Joke Town let me know...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy