Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Psileas
NBA lottery pick
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 5,590
Default What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

So, most consider Wilt's 1967 season to be the best of his career, so the question is, what follows this? Of course, not everybody agrees with this assessment (I do), so you have the right to claim that 1967 was his #2 (or even below this, although this would get silly).

Also, what was Wilt's worst, least prominent season? I'd rather see some choice other than 1970, for obvious reasons, except if you think that some season was that bad that you'd place above it a season when he only played for 12 regular season games.
(FWIW, if Wilt didn't get injured, I don't think 1970 would be a strong candidate, even if there was a repetition of the "Willis Reed game". He started the season at 32/20/3 on almost 60% FG in the first 9 games, before the injury. Let's say that his 27/18/4 averages might very well be valid).
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
PHILA
Decent college freshman
 
PHILA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,719
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
So, most consider Wilt's 1967 season to be the best of his career, so the question is, what follows this?

'66 IMO with '68 right there. Not far behind are '64, '72, '62, & '60.

Quote:
Also, what was Wilt's worst, least prominent season?

Regular Season: '64-'65, in large part due to his illness.

Playoffs: '69 easily.
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
So, most consider Wilt's 1967 season to be the best of his career, so the question is, what follows this? Of course, not everybody agrees with this assessment (I do), so you have the right to claim that 1967 was his #2 (or even below this, although this would get silly).

Also, what was Wilt's worst, least prominent season? I'd rather see some choice other than 1970, for obvious reasons, except if you think that some season was that bad that you'd place above it a season when he only played for 12 regular season games.
(FWIW, if Wilt didn't get injured, I don't think 1970 would be a strong candidate, even if there was a repetition of the "Willis Reed game". He started the season at 32/20/3 on almost 60% FG in the first 9 games, before the injury. Let's say that his 27/18/4 averages might very well be valid).

I will give it some thought, and get back to you. BTW, I agree with your assessment on his '70 season. I always wondered how that season would have played out, both in the regular season, and then in the playoffs, had he not been injured in that ninth game. As your numbers suggest, he was on his way to perhaps one of his greatest statistical seasons...all age age 33 and in his 11th season.

Great topic BTW.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Tough question, for 2nd best, I'd probably lean towards 1968, though his play towards the end of the Celtics series hurts that one for me, much like Lebron's 2010 season. Maybe '64 as well, can't think of any negatives, and I've seen some articles that talk about Wilt passing more, defending better while leading the league in scoring and putting up his most impressive scoring postseason and that's the season that his team overachieved the most, imo. 1972 also deserves some consideration for what the team achieved, Wilt's play in the finals(I believe he had broken bones in his hand or something like that) and Wilt playing the "Russell role" so well. '66 may be up there as well, though the playoffs was a disappointment for me. His teammates shot horribly, but Wilt didn't appear to be a good leader that season either.

I wouldn't pick 1970 as his worst because of the injury, his play before the injury and how impressive it was to come back from it earlier than expected(I've heard it described as a potentially career-threatening injury).

As far as worst, well, if not for his play vs Boston(which Red Auerbach praised), I would have considered 1965 more. 1961 would be one of his worst, imo. Despite the numbers, 1963 ranks towards the bottom for me as well since the 31-49 record is pretty tough to ignore.

But I'll pick 1969 as his worst due to the disappointment in the finals, his huge decline offensively in the playoffs and an overall disappointing season considering their big 3 and West's great finals.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Tough question, for 2nd best, I'd probably lean towards 1968, though his play towards the end of the Celtics series hurts that one for me, much like Lebron's 2010 season. Maybe '64 as well, can't think of any negatives, and I've seen some articles that talk about Wilt passing more, defending better while leading the league in scoring and putting up his most impressive scoring postseason and that's the season that his team overachieved the most, imo. 1972 also deserves some consideration for what the team achieved, Wilt's play in the finals(I believe he had broken bones in his hand or something like that) and Wilt playing the "Russell role" so well. '66 may be up there as well, though the playoffs was a disappointment for me. His teammates shot horribly, but Wilt didn't appear to be a good leader that season either.

I wouldn't pick 1970 as his worst because of the injury, his play before the injury and how impressive it was to come back from it earlier than expected(I've heard it described as a potentially career-threatening injury).

As far as worst, well, if not for his play vs Boston(which Red Auerbach praised), I would have considered 1965 more. 1961 would be one of his worst, imo. Despite the numbers, 1963 ranks towards the bottom for me as well since the 31-49 record is pretty tough to ignore.

But I'll pick 1969 as his worst due to the disappointment in the finals, his huge decline offensively in the playoffs and an overall disappointing season considering their big 3 and West's great finals.

I don't always agree with you, but this is a very solid post. The problem, in many cases, is that if his regular season was below average (if a 30-25 season could ever be below average)...he did something remarkable in the post-season (for instance that '64-65 season, or even his 70-71 season...in which, by my accounts at least, was probably his worst...BUT, he played brilliantly against a statistically prime Kareem over the course of 10 H2H games, and five of them were in the WCF's.)

Excellent post.

jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Psileas
NBA lottery pick
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 5,590
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
I don't always agree with you, but this is a very solid post. The problem, in many cases, is that if his regular season was below average (if a 30-25 season could ever be below average)...he did something remarkable in the post-season (for instance that '64-65 season, or even his 70-71 season...in which, by my accounts at least, was probably his worst...BUT, he played brilliantly against a statistically prime Kareem over the course of 10 H2H games, and five of them were in the WCF's.)

Excellent post.


On a relevant note, when I was doing an old project about the most dominant/outstanding games of various NBA legends, when I got to Wilt, I found it the most difficult to get some legendary game from the 1971 and 1973 seasons. From 1969 I found plenty of great games, from 1970 there was the WCS clincher vs Phoenix and the 6th game of the Finals vs NY, from 1972 a couple of regular season games, plus the 5th game of the Finals, but I kind of struggled in these 2 seasons, although there were still some candidate games, like a game in the '71 r.s, when he held Kareem to 15/6 (I suspect Kareem got reduced minutes, but still shot only 7-21) or the 1st Game of the '73 Finals.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
On a relevant note, when I was doing an old project about the most dominant/outstanding games of various NBA legends, when I got to Wilt, I found it the most difficult to get some legendary game from the 1971 and 1973 seasons. From 1969 I found plenty of great games, from 1970 there was the WCS clincher vs Phoenix and the 6th game of the Finals vs NY, from 1972 a couple of regular season games, plus the 5th game of the Finals, but I kind of struggled in these 2 seasons, although there were still some candidate games, like a game in the '71 r.s, when he held Kareem to 15/6 (I suspect Kareem got reduced minutes, but still shot only 7-21) or the 1st Game of the '73 Finals.

You are among the few that I have encountered who has done more research in Chamberlain's career than I have. In fact, I was going to ask you about your numbers from his first nine games of the '70 season. I have long SUSPECTED that they were around the levels that you quoted, 32-20 .600, but the only info I could dig up was his 32.2 ppg, with all of his point totals in those games, as well as that complete first H2H against Alcindor. I also knew, from an old article, that he injured himself, on a break-away, with no player contact, in a game in which he had scored 33 points on 13-13 shooting.

And you are right about his '71 games, even the playoff games. Having said that, though, there was a ton of footage in one of the Bulls' playoff games that season (since removed, and presumably lost forever), in which he made a couple of almost unbelieveable blocks. In one of them, his hand was extended to the top of the square (some 11 1/2 ft.)...which was pretty impressive given the facts that he had no time to prepare for his leap; he pretty much went straight up in a split second; he was 34 years old at the time; he weighed some 300 lbs at the time; and he was leaping on a surgically repaired knee. One can only wonder how much higher a 20-25 year Wilt, at around 275 lbs, and with a full running start, could have reached.

BTW, you posted some interesting info on Chamberlain's '63 season, as well. Something to the effect that he was averaging 53 ppg (or so) for about the first third of that season.

And, you have also posted many of his block totals. I believe you had an article with him having averaged around 7 bpg in the bulk of his '72 season, and around 6 bpg in the bulk of his '73 season. Personally, I always remembered him with higher numbers in his '72 season (I listened to, or watched EVERY game that season...and if memory serves me, and it is fading, Chick Hearn used to post his block totals after almost every game...and they were usually 8+.)

In any case, I'm sure that I am not the only one who is interested in your statistical insights into Wilt's career. Please feel free to post whatever you can...no matter how trivial. Same with any of Russell's, West's, Kareem's, Oscar's, and Thurmond's (or other's.)

I know that this off-topic, and if you do know, perhaps you could post them in another thread, but I have often wondered about Oscar's "triple-double's." I believe he had several 40-10-10's .

Bottom line...thanks to you, ThaRegul8r, G.O.A.T., PHILA, NYCelt84, ShaqAttack, and other's for posting these valuable tidbits. It is those posts that are actually worth reading here...in an otherwise vast wasteland. We are all better off for the "history lessons."
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,141
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
And, you have also posted many of his block totals. I believe you had an article with him having averaged around 7 bpg in the bulk of his '72 season

Based on what I know and the data I have, I would have to agree that around 7 blocks a game sounds right for the '71-72 season. I would say that it wouldn't likely be any less than 7. He had quite a few double-digit block games to balance out the games he may have had less than 7. And then he averaged 7.4 blocks per game in the Finals against the Knicks—that I know. So I'd have to endorse that estimation.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
Based on what I know and the data I have, I would have to agree that around 7 blocks a game sounds right for the '71-72 season. I would say that it wouldn't likely be any less than 7. He had quite a few double-digit block games to balance out the games he may have had less than 7. And then he averaged 7.4 blocks per game in the Finals against the Knicks—that I know. So I'd have to endorse that estimation.

Thanks. I only wish I would have RECORDED every game in that 71-72 season.

BTW, do you have any block numbers (no matter how partial) for Russell, Thurmond, or Wilt in other seasons?

The more I have read, the more it appears that Russell was a monster thru the mid-60's (and still a force well after.)
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #10
D-Wade316
F***
 
D-Wade316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,521
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Insighful.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Psileas
NBA lottery pick
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 5,590
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Based on what I know and the data I have, I would have to agree that around 7 blocks a game sounds right for the '71-72 season. I would say that it wouldn't likely be any less than 7. He had quite a few double-digit block games to balance out the games he may have had less than 7. And then he averaged 7.4 blocks per game in the Finals against the Knicks—that I know. So I'd have to endorse that estimation.

Thanks for the 7.4 figure of the Finals. Not sure whether I'd encountered this figure before, though I have the figures of most of his other '72 postseason games.

Jlauber, about your question on Wilt's stats in 1970, here's what I got:

@ Philadelphia: 35/24/4. Wilt had somewhat underperformed against his former team, but not this time. He took an impressive 30 FT's, making 15.
@ N.Y: 12/16/1, 5-15 FG. By far Wilt's worst game in this series of games.
@ Baltimore: 38/22/2, 16-26 FG vs Wes Unseld
@ Cincinatti: 43/20/5, 17-26 FG
vs Milwaukee: 25/25/5/3, 9-14 FG. Outplayed rookie Kareem, who, if not mistaken, got 23/21/3/2, 9-21 FG.
@ Seattle: 42/23/6, 19-31 FG, held Bob Rule to 19.
vs Chicago: 37/19/3. Old Wilt, after his injury, had some trouble shooting against Boerwinkle, who must have been like 300 lbs himself, but not yet. He didn't shoot extraordinarily (50% FG), but he did manage to take 28 shots.
vs Cincinatti: 25/21/3
vs Phoenix: 33/15/2 in only 31', before getting injured. According to some sources he had 13-13 FG's and according to others, 13-14.
vs Boston: Return from injury. Got 15/9/3, in just 25'.
vs Detroit: Got 2/9/7, and I suspect, in limited minutes. Took only 5 shots. This is the only back-to-back games streak I see Wilt getting less than 10 rebounds.
vs Seattle: 21/18/8 in a good 42'.

Last edited by Psileas : 09-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Thanks for the 7.4 figure of the Finals. Not sure whether I'd encountered this figure before, though I have the figures of most of his other '72 postseason games.

Jlauber, about your question on Wilt's stats in 1970, here's what I got:

@ Philadelphia: 35/24/4. Wilt had somewhat underperformed against his former team, but not this time. He took an impressive 30 FT's, making 15.
@ N.Y: 12/16/1, 5-15 FG. By far Wilt's worst game in this series of games.
@ Baltimore: 38/22/2, 16-26 FG vs Wes Unseld
@ Cincinatti: 43/20/5, 17-26 FG
vs Milwaukee: 25/25/5/3, 9-14 FG. Outplayed rookie Kareem, who, if not mistaken, got 23/21/3/2, 9-21 FG.
@ Seattle: 42/23/6, 19-31 FG, held Bob Rule to 19.
vs Chicago: 37/19/3. Old Wilt, after his injury, had some trouble shooting against Boerwinkle, who must have been like 300 lbs himself, but not yet. He didn't shoot extraordinarily (50% FG), but he did manage to take 28 shots.
vs Cincinatti: 25/21/3
vs Phoenix: 33/15/2 in only 31', before getting injured. According to some sources he had 13-13 FG's and according to others, 13-14.
vs Boston: Return from injury. Got 15/9/3, in just 25'.
vs Detroit: Got 2/9/7, and I suspect, in limited minutes. Took only 5 shots. This is the only back-to-back games streak I see Wilt getting less than 10 rebounds.
vs Seattle: 21/18/8 in a good 42'.

Bookmarked!

Great stuff. And the commentaries shed some light on just how good those efforts were. That game in which he was injured could have been one of his best, too. 33-15 on 13-13 (or 13-14) shooting, in 31 minutes.

Of course, we'll never know if he could have sustained that level of play for an entire season, but IMHO, that '70 season is a HUGE "what-if" season in Wilt's career. I have read so much throughout the years that Wilt "couldn't" score more from the mid-60's on. Those that have actually taken the time to research Chamberlain's career know just how ridiculous those claims are, but had Wilt gone on to hang a 30-20 (and on something approaching .600 shooting) in that '70 season, at age 33, and in his 11th season, ...well, it would have been pretty convincing proof that he COULD have led the NBA in scoring in his first 11 seasons had he chosen to do so.

Thanks again!

jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
PTB Fan
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,185
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

'68 or '72 as his second best.

In his days as Philly, he was dominating overall with his beautiful all-around game, become so so efficient, was arguably best offensive, defense and overall player in the league as well.

He won MVP awards quite easily, pushed the Sixers to a top record. He was leading 3-1 against Russell in the post season..but call it a luck, greatness of the Russell led Celtics, and he lost the series... that had a lot to do with his team mate's injuries though...

72 is another great choice. He was being like Russell, expect much more efficient as he shot close to 70% and even in few seasons above that percent as well...he was top rebounder, defensive player in the league by far and he turned out to be the real MVP of the season..

Let's not forget that he owned the Knicks (superb defensive team) too. But Wilt often got robbed for MVPs in the 70's where he clearly deserved to win few more.


As for his worst, it's 69 easily. He was averaging 30/20 in the first 9 games but then came after some injuries though. He did under perform, but he did go against Russell (arguably best defender ever). It's pretty natural that his stats went down but this much... call it a decent work by Russell..

Last edited by PTB Fan : 09-05-2011 at 01:44 PM.
PTB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Psileas...

This '70 season, at least based on what we have in those nine games, gives us yet another indication on just how well Chamberlain adapted to whatever his COACHES asked him to do. Before the start of that season, the new Laker coach, Joe Mullaney, asked Wilt to become the focal point of the offense. The result, at least up until injury? 32.2 ppg, along with his usual 20 rpg, and on what might have been at around a .600 clip.

For those that have ripped Wilt as a "ball-hog", ...has there ever been a dominant super-star who was asked to change their game, as much as Wilt? In his first four seasons, his coaches, either lazy or realistic, just asked that Wilt score. And, with as poorly as his teammates were shooting the ball, even given the era, it would be hard to argue against that philosophy.

However, is new coach in the '64 season, Alex Hannum, at least wanted Wilt's teammates to participate. He could see that they had become completely dependant upon Wilt for everything. And Hannum also believed, and rightfully so, that if Chamberlain's teammates were more involved offensively, that they would become more involved at the defensive end, as well. So, while Wilt's scoring dropped some, the entire TEAM benefitted. Unfortunately, that 48-32 record was achieved as much with "smoke-and-mirrors", too (as the '65 season would prove.) As for Chamberlain's post-season that year? Quite possibly his second greatest behind his 67 run. 34.7 ppg, 25.2 rpg, and .543 shooting. And he then outscored Russell, per game, in the Finals, 29-11, as well as outrebounded him, per game, 27-25. Hopefully one day we will get he and Russell's FG%'s from that series.

Chamberlain was traded to the Sixers mid-way thru the '65 season, and remarkably took what had been a below .500 team the year before (and a .500 team when he arrived), to a game seven, one point loss against Russell's 62-18 Celtics, with Wilt putting up a 30-31 series.

His coach with the Sixers, Dolph Schayes, somewhat continued what Hannum had begun. Wilt was still the primary scorer, but, Schayes realized that there were other talented scorers on that team (as well as rugged Luke Jackson...who sacrificed his natural position, center), and he had Wilt become more selective in his shooting and passing. The result? A 55-25 team with the best record in the league...and all with Chamberlain leading the league in scoring, at 33.5 ppg; leading the league in rebounding, at 24.6 rpg; setting a then FG% record of .540; AND still handing out 5.2 apg.

Hannum returned in '67, and refined his philosophy even further. Chamberlain would become the team's best facilitator. The ball would go thru Wilt, and he would find the best option. The result was arguably Wilt's greatest season. 24.1 ppg, 24.2 rpg, 7.8 apg...and an eye-popping .683 FG% (in a league that shot .441, and with the next best guy at .521.) And it carried over to the post-season, as well. 21.7 ppg, 29.1 rpg, 9.2 apg, and .579 shooting...with two of his three series played against perhaps the two greatest defensive centers in NBA history (aside from himself, of course), in a dominant world championship.

The '68 season was more of the same...except Chamberlain decided to carry it even further,...leading the league in assists. There are those recaps that suggest that Wilt even went out of his way to win that assist title. No matter...his Sixers ran away with the best record in the league. And, had they not been decimated by injuries, most likely would have waltzed to a repeat title.

Wilt engineered his trade to the Lakers the next season. Unfortunately, he came to a franchise that had a coach who didn't have a clue on how to use him. Yes, Wilt could play the high post, but, when he had done so, HE was the primary facilitator. With this Laker team, it was West and Baylor playing volleyball with the ball. And the reality was, Chamberlain was the game's greatest low-post player in history. Why acquire a player of that caliber, and then shackle him? Not only that, but Baylor was in a slow state of decline (and of course, was AWFUL in the post-season.)

In any case, PHILA posted the classic quote from Van Breda Kolf, "When we pass the ball into Wilt, he will score. But, it is such an ugly offense to watch." So, instead of taking full advantage of Chamberlain's offensive skills, Van Breda Kolf reduced his role. The result was a Chamberlain that averaged a career low (at the time) 20.5 ppg, albeit on a league-leading .583 FG% (as well as leading the league in rebounding at 21.1 rpg.)

PHILA and ShaqAttack have already alluded to Wilt's post-season that year. And I concur...it was his worst. However, in Chamberlain's defense, Van Breda Kolf was, BY FAR, the WORST coach that Wilt had had (and he had some pretty poor one's.) The best example came in game seven of the Finals. Early in the 4th period, Russell drew his fifth foul. The Lakers immediately went into Wilt, who then went right around Russell for an easy basket. If memory serves me right, that was the last time Chamberlain touched the ball on the offensive end.

Thanks to Psileas, we now have a better grasp of Wilt's 69-70 season (and again, with ANOTHER coach.) If those nine games are any indication, Wilt was probably on his way to close to a 30 ppg season.

Of course, Chamberlain's devastating knee injury hampered his offensive production the rest of his career. Although, had Wilt had Shaq's mentality, he could STILL have been among the scoring leaders. He was over 300 lbs and still possessed amazing leaping ability (his injury affected his lateral mobility, but not his vertical.) He could simply have overpowered his peers.

In any case, Wilt came back way ahead of anyone's expectations, and, yes, for the benefit of his teammates (which goes against his critics who routinely suggested that Chamberlain was not a team player, and a "cancer" in the locker room.) And while he was nowhere near 100%, he led them back from a 3-1 first round series deficit, (and with three straight remarkable games)...which again, goes against the grain of his pundits. Then, after a sweep of Atlanta, he gets that 46-36 Lakers team, with West, a declining Baylor, and him at considerably less than 100%,...and little else...to a game seven loss against the 60-22 Knicks. Granted, Reed was hobbled in the last three games of that series, two of them Knick wins, but you certainly couldn't fault Wilt's play...especially considering that he, himself, was only four months removed from major knee surgery. And, Chamberlain averaged 23.2 ppg, 24.1 rpg, and shot .625 from the floor in that series...which included a "must-win" game six performance of 45 points, on 20-27 shooting, with 27 rebounds, in a resounding 135-113 win.

I have already been on record as stating that his 70-71 REGULAR season was his worst, at least IMHO. His numbers were clearly down across the board. 20.7 ppg, 18.2 rpg (career low BTW), and on a .545 FG%. There was no question that his knee injury (and subsequent surgery), along with his other arthritic knee hampered his performance. And, with Baylor basically missing the entire season (and post-season), and with West going down in the last fourth of the season, and also missing the playoffs, Chamberlain's Lakers finished at 48-34. All-in-all, a very uneventful season.

HOWEVER, during the regular season, and then in the post-season, Wilt and Kareem played 10 H2H games (five and five.) And, while Kareem was not yet in his physical prime, he was already nearing his statistical prime (his '71 and '72 seasons were his greatest IMHO.) And, as I have pointed out before, a 34 year-old Wilt, and only a year after major knee surgery, and playing in arguably his WORST season...battled a PRIME Kareem to a statistical draw in those 10 games. Kareem slightly outscored Wilt, while Chamberlain slightly outrebounded and outshot Kareem. So, considering that this may have been Chamberlain's "low point" of his career...this may have also been among his most remarkable.

In the following season, once again Wilt had a new coach. And Bill Sharman immediately came to Wilt and mapped out his strategy for the upcoming 71-72 season. The Lakers, with all five starters over 30, were going to RUN. And it was going to be Chamberlain that would ignite them with his defense, rebounding, and outlet passes. Of course, Sharman did force Baylor into retirement, and promptly inserted second year player Jim McMillain into the starting lineup...and the rest was history. 33 straight wins, a 69-13 record. A team that blitzed the league to the tune of 121 ppg (in a league that averaged 110...and in which the second best team was at 116 ppg.) And with Wilt's defense limiting opposing teams to .432 shooting, and with he and teammate Happy Hairston each getting over 1000 rebounds, the Lakers steamrolled the entire league.

Then, in the post-season, Chamberlain reduced a Kareem, who had shot .574 during the regular season, down to a .457 shooter, and even more remarkably, limited him to .414 shooting over the course of the last four pivotal games of that series. On top of all of that, the 35 year old Wilt was blocking some 15+ sky-hooks in that six game series. And Chamberlain completely took over the 4th period of that clinching come-from-behind road win in game six. In some respects, I believe that game to have been Wilt's "finest hour." And then Wilt followed that up with a FMVP in leading his team to an overwhelming title.

Wilt's last season was pretty much a repeat of his '72 season. He was voted first team all-defense; he led the league in rebounding; he shot a record .727 from the field; he finished 4th in the MVP balloting; his team went 60-22 and made it to the Finals, where they lost four games in the last minute to the Knicks and their six HOFers.


So, once again, has there ever been another "great" that was asked to change their game and roles, so MANY times?
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #15
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,141
Default Re: What were Wilt's #2 best and #1 worst season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
However, is new coach in the '64 season, Alex Hannum, at least wanted Wilt's teammates to participate. He could see that they had become completely dependant upon Wilt for everything. And Hannum also believed, and rightfully so, that if Chamberlain's teammates were more involved offensively, that they would become more involved at the defensive end, as well. So, while Wilt's scoring dropped some, the entire TEAM benefitted. Unfortunately, that 48-32 record was achieved as much with "smoke-and-mirrors", too (as the '65 season would prove.) As for Chamberlain's post-season that year? Quite possibly his second greatest behind his 67 run. 34.7 ppg, 25.2 rpg, and .543 shooting. And he then outscored Russell, per game, in the Finals, 29-11, as well as outrebounded him, per game, 27-25. Hopefully one day we will get he and Russell's FG%'s from that series.

Wilt shot 51.7% in the '64 Finals (62-for-120), which is a far cry from the ridiculous .590 or whatever that was bandied around. Which is why I've always been adamant about being certain of the facts before making any claims.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy