Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Should NBA Draft have three rounds? Should bad teams get an extra first round pick?

How do you feel about the current NBA Draft system?

Is two rounds good enough, or should there be a third round?

Also, should the first round stay the way it currently is, with every team getting one pick in inverse order of their record (or the right to trade picks, of course).

Or, should really bad teams get more than one first round pick?

READ THIS: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8241

And then share your opinion!
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Apocalyptic0n3
The End Is Near

Apocalyptic0n3 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Should NBA Draft have three rounds? Should bad teams get an extra first round pick?

As the talent pool expands, it makes sense to expand the draft. If they do, however, it is high time the NBA truly makes the NBDL into a minor league in the fashion that the NHL uses the AHL, OHL, WHL, etc. Use the NBDL to develop prospects. Give them a year or two or 30 minutes a night as opposed to 5 minutes off the bench every third night.
Apocalyptic0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Should NBA Draft have three rounds? Should bad teams get an extra first round pick?

Not needed. Most 2nd round picks never amount to much as it is. Teams that need more players can just go after the undrafted guys, like they do now.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

Sucky teams typically draft poorly, so giving them an additional draft pick will only help if the quit drafting poorly. And given how many bad mid-late first rounders are drafted on potential and with the guaranteed money (albeit relatively small) that potential is hardly ever reached.

But 3 rounds? A ton of veteran guys would lose their jobs to unproven rooks. And there are only a select number of NBA jobs available, adding 30 picks would have a lot of late training camp cuts. If add a round, we should expand the rosters by maybe 15 to 17. Plus, how many injuries happen every year? Teams have to scour the waiver wire to plug holes, and then teach that guy the play book.

I think 2 rounds is good, and the good drafting teams use those late rounders to plug holes and get guys who have a shot at becoming a contributor sometime in the future.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Three rounds? Why? Most 2nd rounders don't even make an impact or even make the roster.

Think of it this way. How many undrafted players are in the league?

Better question...how many undrafted rookies make an NBA team? VERY few.

Two rounds are plenty.

EDIT: Just checked the Knicks to see how many undrafted players are on the team. The answer is zero. Bet that's the answer for many teams in the league.

Knicks: Zero
Lakers: Zero
Celtics: Zero
Mavericks: Zero
Bulls: One (CJ Watson)

Last edited by bagelred : 09-07-2011 at 03:22 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Theoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheoo's Daddy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Three rounds is too much. That would mean they have to spend more $$$$ on salaries, which i think it's one of the things they've been crying about during this lockout.
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hell, go through and find out how many second round players are on rosters. It probably won't be a ton. I'd guess picks after 50 almost never make a roster.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Three rounds? Why? Most 2nd rounders don't even make an impact or even make the roster.

Think of it this way. How many undrafted players are in the league?

Better question...how many undrafted rookies make an NBA team? VERY few.

Two rounds are plenty.

EDIT: Just checked the Knicks to see how many undrafted players are on the team. The answer is zero. Bet that's the answer for many teams in the league.

Knicks: Zero
Lakers: Zero
Celtics: Zero
Mavericks: Zero
Bulls: One (CJ Watson)
This. Bagelred speaks the truth.

3 Round NBA Draft? No way.

Not enough talent.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

This makes zero sense UNLESS the NBA changes the roster rules and allows for a team to stash a guy in the DLeague for a year or two without taking up a roster spot. That would make a lot of sense if they want to turn the DLeague into a legit minor league system. Because with the current system there's no way a third round makes any sense at all. Most of the guys in the 2nd round don't ever see the court or even the NBA, with the current rules the third round would basically be 80% euro stash-aways who never come over.

I also kinda hate the idea of giving crappy teams picks 16-30 in addition to 1-15. I don't think that would create parity (like they're trying to do with such a rule), it would just on the most part make young teams even younger.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board

If you give the worst 5 teams (for example) 2 picks in the first round and the best 5 none, you can guarantee the best 5 will just sell their picks for cash considerations happily. Come on, how many NBA starters have even been picked after #30? A few, yeah, but not enough to warrant throwing another pick at shit teams.
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
ballerz
Local High School Star

ballerz has an OK reputation so far

No, plus aren't you just giving lottery teams all the decent picks while the decent teams are just getting put further down and wont get any decent talent at all. Also wont middle of the pack teams get screwed like Atlanta, Indiana etc
ballerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How about this? Anyone who gets a Top 5 pick AUTOMATICALLY cannot get a Top 5 pick the next year. This way they can't pull an OKC. In 3 straight years, OKC got the 2nd, 4th, and 3rd picks consecutively (not to mention the 5th pick from giving away Ray Allen and purposely tanking).

And someone wants to REWARD bad teams by giving them TWO picks in the first round? Asinine. So now teams will even tank further on purpose.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

At first I thought the idea of a 3-round draft sounded pretty cool. But some of you bring up good points. There really doesn't seem to be a high number of 2nd round picks making ballclubs these days. And I guess in a pinch, teams can just take their pick of undrafted free agents.

However, I do believe a 3-round draft could offer some positives. For starters, I think it could further bolster the legitimacy of NBDL rosters. I'm in favor of NBA teams developing more ownership over these clubs. I know it doesn't stand for much in the scheme of things, but I'd be a lot more interested in the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants if I knew they contained more than just one or two Pistons prospects.

Further, perhaps a 3-round draft and increased NBDL presence could assist in developing and producing late round picks. I wouldn't expect 2nd and 3rd rounders to begin churning out as NBA stars. However, I do think this could provide a home base for teams to locate and gather surprising talent (as opposed to plucking from various unaffiliated leagues).

Regarding the "numerous picks for bad teams in one round" idea, I do not favor such an idea. My reasoning is lacking, but I just like how individual draft rounds are set up now.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

I don't think many read the article or thought about this much.

Its not just adding a third round, and another set of players to not make the league.

It's about helping restore balance while still allowing successful teams to draft. Further to that it seems it would be part a total draft/development overhaul.

So to just say 'no undrafted players make it' is kinda ignorant to the whole point.

Another thing is, and I'm sure the league is aware of it, is that if they can develop the Dleague and strengthen its affiliation with league teams and keep the players in the states for 2-3 seasons they will be good enough. Because most undrafted players head overseas and within 2 seasons they are NBA players but have missed their chance.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

I personally would have 30 picks all in the lottery. Weighted still to the worst teams, and very heavily. But I would give teams 12-18 similar weightings or similar.

Then I would do TWO second round lotteries for the bottom 14 teams, giving them 2 second round picks before the playoff teams pick a second rounder. Then a second round lottery for the top 16 teams. All weighted towards the worst teams playoff teams.

Complicated but its a complicated business getting the league fair.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: