Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Default Between Which Seasons Would You Say The Following Players Improved Most?

Like the title says, between which 2 seasons do you think the following superstars improved most? I'm not necessarily saying to look at team record, but how much better the individuals themselves got. How did they up/improve their game? Feel free to discuss any players not listed.

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Default Re: Between Which Seasons Would You Say The Following Players Improved Most?

they were all superstars as rookies and never had one 'breakthrough' season but steady improvement.
it's easier to pick a year when they actually stopped improving.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Default Re: Between Which Seasons Would You Say The Following Players Improved Most?

but i'll say that shaq between 99 and 00 somehow 'got it' and started going to business instead of being a goofball.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
ThaSwagg3r

I want to say LeBron James.....he went from being an average defender and a mediocre shooter to an elite defensive player and a good shooter from '07-'08 to '08-'09. I don't think anyone else got that much better within seasons.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
I want to say LeBron James.....he went from being an average defender and a mediocre shooter to an elite defensive player and a good shooter from '07-'08 to '08-'09. I don't think anyone else got that much better within seasons.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
they were all superstars as rookies and never had one 'breakthrough' season but steady improvement.
it's easier to pick a year when they actually stopped improving.
Kobe was a superstar as a rookie?
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingdeath
Kobe was a superstar as a rookie?

all-star starter. undeserved, but it was already obvious to everybody he was otherworldly talented.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
NugzHeat3
Local High School Star

I would just like to say a lot of time, the improvement in player's stats has more to do with a coaching or system change than the player improving his game.

People think Magic peaked in 1987 but it has more to do with the Lakers giving him full control of the offense and letting him run the team. He wasn't any worse in 1986 than he was that year. They just used Kareem more but they saw it wasn't going to work since he was getting up there in age.

It's the same thing with Steve Nash. He didn't peak in 2005. He was just given keys to the Suns offense and every play in the half-court ran through him.

Shaq seems to have taken a huge jump from 1999 to 2000 but it has more to with motivation, Phil being brought in and a system change. Shaq's actual improvement in his game came in his Orlando years. I'd say you put 1998 Shaq in 2000, he looks the same.

For Kobe, it's probably 2000 to 2001. He went from All-Star to superstar status.

Wade improved different parts of his game through all these years. His defense really improved in 2009 both on a individual and team scale. Shaq really allowed him to take off in his sophomore year and reduced the pressure both on and off court. Made him a more confident player.

Duncan is the guy who stayed consistent most of his career. He never made a huge leap. He was a ready product coming right out of college.
NugzHeat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
MasterDurant24
National High School Star

Quote:
all-star starter. undeserved, but it was already obvious to everybody he was otherworldly talented.
actually he didnt make it till his srcond year.
MasterDurant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
actually he didnt make it till his srcond year.

true. my bad.
so he was a starting all-star at 19...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!

Quote:
Um...he is.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Kellogs4toniee
Bulls 4 Life

Lebron really turned into a great defensive player from 09 to 10', and I think his perimeter game outside of just driving and slashing improved as well. His jumper was simply broke for most of his first couple years, but he really started killing people by jump shots towards the end of 09' and into the 10' season. Now I'm not saying he's consistent, I'm just saying his improvement in defense and improved jumper was fairly noticeable from 08-09 into 2010.
Kellogs4toniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Um...he is.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!

Quote:
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
knightfall88
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r

absolutely!. His jumpshot has improved dramatically in all aspects, now he just needs to work on the part where the ball goes through the hoop when it leaves his hands.
knightfall88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: