Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #16
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Revis & Asomugha Logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC602
This is partially why I feel they're both among the top 5 defensive players in the NFL rather easily. Look at the absurd standards they set and are held to. Who else is among them? Probably DeMarcus Ware, Haloti Ngata and the reigning DPOY Troy Polamalu.

Yup the fact we're nitpicking over a target and maybe a catch says all I need to know. The standards are incredibly high. Yet at the end of the day damn near every CB would trade their day for theirs. The constant for both is QBs are careful when they do decide to throw against those two.

And I love Ngata man. Baltimore always lands a playmaking defensive player. Makes me jealous.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #17
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers

TAC602 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Reed only played 10 games last year and led the NFL in INTs

he had 2 picks today...

greatest ball hawk ever?

Troy is insane and arguably the greatest saftey ever but I think Reed is ALSO arguably the greatest saftey ever...they are both insane, I put them both over Ronnie Lott all time.

I like Reed over Polamalu both peak and career wise. In fact, it was tough not to include him. Over the last couple of years, he's become a ball hawk specifically. The level in which he does this keeps him among the top ten without second thought, but he used to be an absolutely menacing force in all aspects. He actually won his DPOY playing strong safety, but switched to center fielder to prolong his career.

Quote:
and yeah Suh might be getting in the debate but right now I have Ngata over Suh as far as DTs go...

I'm sure I'll get called a homer for this but I consider Ware the greatest pass rusher ever, greater than LT..Ware is on pace to have more career sacks than LT, Ware is also much larger than LT was and probably faster or at least just as fast...it shouldn't be too long before Ware is talks of OLB GOAT...at least the pass rush variety of OLBs like Taylor...

I was huge on the Suh bandwagon during the preseason and there's no doubt he's already right on the cusp in only his second year. Funny enough, it was today that convinced me Ngata deserves the nod for now. A 4-3 DT will always have better numbers than a 3-4 DT/DE where sacks and things like that go, but Ngata eats up and beats so many offensive lineman to shake Suggs and Lewis free to make plays. Often times, Ngata will get there himself.

No comment on D-Ware being GOAT. I will say this: He won't get nearly the credit he deserves when it comes time to discuss his place among all-time 3-4 OLBs. Its particularly difficult because we don't have the pressures and qb hits numbers for Taylor. We don't even have his year-to-year tackles numbers. How about his sack yards? It's dismal, the criteria and available 'official' metrics there are to judge him. We only know he revolutionized the position and was damn good at it, made 8 All-Pro 1st Teams and won 3 DPOYs along with an NFL MVP (unanimous decision). This makes his legacy almost as bulletproof as there can be.

D-Ware? Absolute Beast. Probably the best pass rusher I've ever seen with the exception of Reggie White, although he wasn't in his physical peak. Derrick Thomas is another that springs to mind, but there's little doubt Ware is in the same class. 80 sacks in six seasons is something vicious and nearly impeccable. It's not always about numbers though. Kevin Greene has 160, most of any LB to play the game and has yet to make the final cut of HOF finalists. Cris Carter and Tim Brown had arguably better overall careers than Irvin and he's been in for years now. LaDainian Tomlinson has 150+ TDs and he's hardly ever put among the top 5 RBs to play the game. I don't see D-Ware falling similar victim, I think his skills are in-your-face obvious and he's building a career that's first ballot worthy. So was Sterling Sharpe. Much can happen, but he's definitely on the right track.

Last edited by TAC602 : 09-12-2011 at 04:22 AM.
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #18
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Yup the fact we're nitpicking over a target and maybe a catch says all I need to know. The standards are incredibly high. Yet at the end of the day damn near every CB would trade their day for theirs. The constant for both is QBs are careful when they do decide to throw against those two.

And I love Ngata man. Baltimore always lands a playmaking defensive player. Makes me jealous.

Tell me about it. Sucks to be a defense fanatic and at the same time a loyal fan of a team that fields a terrible defense annually. Closest thing we've gotten was Aeneas Williams: Supremely physical at the line, good-to-great in coverage, fantastic in run support, ended Steve Young's career on a corner blitz (I was there). A playmaker too. Check out what he did in the brief two-game playoff run of 1998 with Arizona.

The way Baltimore loads up (and Pittsburgh as well) makes me green with envy. Nonetheless, Philadelphia has the potential to be a powerhouse defense. Historically, they already boast arguably the most dominant defensive force in football history in Reggie White, and an all-time great defense in the 1991 Eagles. Nnamdi is going to get more comfortable and do his thing. Already looks like the Cole/Babin duo is successful at getting to the QB. I'd be surprised if they don't boast the league's best pass defense by the end of the season. Pressure and Coverage, as Belicheck simplifies it.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

I still have the game on DVR. If anyone knows how I can take it off my DVR and upload it to my computer, I'll do it for that one catch I had originally mistaken as not Aso's fault, and then put it on youtube.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Nnamdi Asomugha - I already wrote about him at length yesterday. But Asomugha was targeted twice. One play resulted in a 41-yard pass interference penalty. Another a 31-yard completion to Gibson. It looked like there was confusion between him and Kurt Coleman when the Eagles were in zone coverage in the first and Bradford hit Bajema for 19 yards. It might take a few weeks for Asomugha to get in full shut-down mode, but keep in mind that even though he got beat a couple times, Bradford didn't even look to throw in his direction for most of the game.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/m...Eagles-D-.html

Philly.com does this weekly with individual defensive/offensive players and looks at each play. They have his targets at 2, but also mention the confusion on that zone coverage. Samuel had 6 targets, twice as many (or 3 times as many, depending how you judge it) as many as Nnamdi.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Uploading the zone play right now, will link shortly.

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvE0GkvwVw

Aso is at the top of the screen. Look at what Samual is doing on the opposite side - how far he gets back into his drop - that's what Aso should have been doing but he was confused.

Last edited by Carbine : 09-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

Here we go:

Aso is at the top of the screen. Look at what Samual is doing on the opposite side - how far he gets back into his drop - that's what Aso should have been doing but he was confused.

Yeah, definitely looked like Aso's fault. He looked confused as shit lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Here we go:

Thanks for uploading. Tough for me to call that a target though. All subjective I guess.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It's tough to call that a target? You expect the safety playing the middle of the field to do Aso's job as well?

Aso was confused as shit. He let the tight end get behind him and catch in in his zone he was suppose to be covering.

Pretty clear to me it was his fault. You can;t honestly think the safety who was suppose to have the middle of the field is responsible for a throw outside the numbers.

I'm as big a fan of Aso as anyone, but to say that wasn't Aso's fault? I ain't singing that song.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
It's tough to call that a target? You expect the safety playing the middle of the field to do Aso's job as well?

Aso was confused as shit. He let the tight end get behind him and catch in in his zone he was suppose to be covering.

Pretty clear to me it was his fault. You can;t honestly think the safety who was suppose to have the middle of the field is responsible for a throw outside the numbers.

I'm as big a fan of Aso as anyone, but to say that wasn't Aso's fault? I ain't singing that song.
Show me where I or anyone else said that. You judge a target differently than I do (just like the beat writer I posted who also acknowledged it as Aso's fault, but not a target on him). Something that has no clear definition. You're getting pissy over nothing.

I already said he had 2 or 3 targets that game depending on how you want to look at that. Say it's a target, idc. Honestly, who gives a **** to argue over 1 play?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers

Not really a big deal.

Does this destroy his credibility and reputation or something?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Carbine you can be a real a c*ck sucker but this thread is awesome...

I hope you keep this up and continue to upload vids like that for us to debate...

I also said it was subject, BUT IMO, every pass should be targeting someone, and if I had to pick someone on that play it would be Aso, who blew his zone coverage...

It looked like he was worried about a HB swinging his way or something, but should have let the LB take that on and focused on the TE.

in a zone like that you have to latch on to someone....Nnamdi was defending NOTHING...just standing out in the open
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #28
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

How is that not a target? Someone passed the ball where he was suppose to be, and it got completed. Just because Aso was not in a position to break up the play because he was confused doesn't mean his zone wasn't targeted.

I'm not pissy, I just don't know the logic behind saying it was his fault, but it doesn't count as a target.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC602
Not really a big deal.

Does this destroy his credibility and reputation or something?
Carbine is just trying to get an acurate statistical read I think for the whole year...Nnamdi vs. Revis

he isn't trying to ruin anyone's rep...

I am liking Carbine's effort
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #30
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
How is that not a target? Someone passed the ball where he was suppose to be, and it got completed. Just because Aso was not in a position to break up the play because he was confused doesn't mean his zone wasn't targeted.

I'm not pissy, I just don't know the logic behind saying it was his fault, but it doesn't count as a target.
I'll answer your question with your own quote.
Quote:
Of course you would mark that down as a reception against Aso, but realistically that's not the type of reception we think of when someone gives up a reception/gets beat.
Like I already said, I'm not about to argue over 1 play out of 66 defensive snaps for Philly. Not something I care about enough. I'm just going to say it's a target and leave it there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: