Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #31
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall
They are saying that Kevin Kolb had a below average game with:

18/27 309 yds 2 TDs and 0 ints

but Alex Smith played like a top 5 quarterback last year with:

15/20 124 yrds 0 TDs and 0 ints

I really don't know what to think.

After seeing that clip from SP, both of Kolb's TDs were nothing more than Godawful defense.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 09-13-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #32
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

wagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC602
Levi Brown was absolutely terrible on Sunday afternoon.
Levi Brown is terrible every Sunday afternoon. I can't wait until he's off the team.
wagexslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #33
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

wagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
After seeing that clip from SP, both of Kolb's TDs were nothing more than Godawful defense.
You do realize that a quarterback has to read that "godawful defense" and make the right play that has the most chances of turning into extra yards after catch. That's why this total QBR thing is stupid. Yards after catch should ALWAYS be taken into consideration, because a good quarterback will make plays that get receivers extra yards after the catch. This total QBR thing just basically tells us which quarterback throws the most long bombs, which isn't a good way of measuring how good they are. Another flaw with this I noticed when looking at Kolb's game is that it counted Kolb's missed toss to Beanie Wells as a fumble, even though it was clearly Beanie's fault for taking his eyes off the ball and should have been an easy catch. Little things like that should be tweaked. If it's not your fault, it shouldn't count against you.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #34
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Of course that's the best way but if you have time to watch 16 nfl games a week you need to get off of unemployment.
I agree but people could AT LEAST look up the highlights of the game online instead of going 100% by stats like a lot of people do.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #35
Jall
What?

Jall has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagexslave
Levi Brown is terrible every Sunday afternoon. I can't wait until he's off the team.

I really don't understand how the Cardinals have a coach who likes competition at every position, and Levi is one of the only players without any competition.
Jall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #36
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers

TAC602 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail
I really don't understand how the Cardinals have a coach who likes competition at every position, and Levi is one of the only players without any competition

Haggans too. Utterly useless.

He can't pressure the QB, he's terrible in coverage and gets consistently blown off the ball on run plays. The reasoning for him being out there simply isn't good enough. He knows the defense and how to line up, huh? He may as well not even take the field. It's time to give Scho and Acho some snaps. O'Brien made some good plays in his limited opportunity.
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 AM   #37
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
You do realize that a quarterback has to read that "godawful defense" and make the right play that has the most chances of turning into extra yards after catch.

Make the right play, like throwing the ball to the very wide open receiver on both TD passes? I'd hope every QB would be able to do that. You make it seem like having a wide open receiver is a rather normal occurrence, but actually completing a pass to that open receiver takes all the skill in the world.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #38
TAC602
Bricking Jumpers

TAC602 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Make the right play, like throwing the ball to the very wide open receiver on both TD passes? I'd hope every QB would be able to do that. You make it seem like having a wide open receiver is a rather normal occurrence, but actually completing a pass to that open receiver takes all the skill in the world.

I see where you're coming from. Kolb was rolling out of pocket awfully quick but much of it had to do with Levi Brown's atrocious play at left tackle. Luckily, he calmed down a little bit and Kolb got decent protection as the game went on. Beanie Wells fumbled a sure TD and Jay Feely missed a chip shot field goal, effectively leaving 10 points on the table. Kolb also noticably missed Fitz on a vicious double move that would've went for a monsterous gain, although I believe he still completed a shorter, if more sure pass to either Roberts or Doucet on the same play; doesn't quite have the confidence yet to throw some balls that Fitz could pull down even with little spacing. Still, could've been a lot worse.
TAC602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #39
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Kolb was facing tons of pressure on the pass to King and had to get the one to Doucet out awfully early. A QB like Alex Smith is taking sacks on both of those plays. Him being so high up the list is a joke.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #40
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
You do realize that a quarterback has to read that "godawful defense" and make the right play that has the most chances of turning into extra yards after catch. That's why this total QBR thing is stupid. Yards after catch should ALWAYS be taken into consideration, because a good quarterback will make plays that get receivers extra yards after the catch. This total QBR thing just basically tells us which quarterback throws the most long bombs, which isn't a good way of measuring how good they are. Another flaw with this I noticed when looking at Kolb's game is that it counted Kolb's missed toss to Beanie Wells as a fumble, even though it was clearly Beanie's fault for taking his eyes off the ball and should have been an easy catch. Little things like that should be tweaked. If it's not your fault, it shouldn't count against you.
I'll take your word for it on the Beanie thing because I didn't see it. Like I said QBR is a work in progress. The YAC thing though I don't agree with. The play went for 55 yards more than it should have/TD (because of that missed tackle) and that wasn't because Kolb did anything special. QBR helps you realize that, QB rating masks it as if Kolb was responsible for it.

Maybe in another 20 years they'll be smart enough to make up a formula for other positions.

And in no way does QBR only show who threw the longest bombs. How far the ball traveled in the air is a part of the equation, not what it's about.

Last edited by StateProperty : 09-14-2011 at 03:05 PM.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #41
bballer
bballer

bballer has decent reputationbballer has decent reputation

flacco 5th on qbr and pr
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ben's rating is too high.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #43
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
Kolb was facing tons of pressure on the pass to King and had to get the one to Doucet out awfully early. A QB like Alex Smith is taking sacks on both of those plays. Him being so high up the list is a joke.

I'm just wondering have you been watching Alex Smith lately?

Not that he's great but he's really moving in the pocket and getting the ball out of his hands right now. We'll see how that holds up against the better defenses later.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
I'll take your word for it on the Beanie thing because I didn't see it. Like I said QBR is a work in progress. The YAC thing though I don't agree with. The play went for 55 yards more than it should have/TD (because of that missed tackle) and that wasn't because Kolb did anything special. QBR helps you realize that, QB rating masks it as if Kolb was responsible for it.

Maybe in another 20 years they'll be smart enough to make up a formula for other positions.

But there are times when the QB is indeed a major reason why there were YAC. They can lead the receiver, put the ball where they know their guy likes it best to turn and run AND even tell the receiver which way to go depending on where one places the ball.

But like I've said previously all of that one could determine by using their eyes. I understand that especially now it's a stat driven sports culture but there are some things you can't quantify and the QB position has a higher number of those things than other positions. So they have to pass the "eye-test" along with their production.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #45
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC602
I see where you're coming from. Kolb was rolling out of pocket awfully quick but much of it had to do with Levi Brown's atrocious play at left tackle. Luckily, he calmed down a little bit and Kolb got decent protection as the game went on. Beanie Wells fumbled a sure TD and Jay Feely missed a chip shot field goal, effectively leaving 10 points on the table. Kolb also noticably missed Fitz on a vicious double move that would've went for a monsterous gain, although I believe he still completed a shorter, if more sure pass to either Roberts or Doucet on the same play; doesn't quite have the confidence yet to throw some balls that Fitz could pull down even with little spacing. Still, could've been a lot worse.

I hope they have similar problems next game. Fitzgerald scares me.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: